Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

2010 MKX/Edge known issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 AM
1964f100cs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 MKX/Edge known issues

I recently purchased a 2010 MKX after I was in a huge wreck with my 2004 Aviator (I wish the accident happened close to home instead of 400 miles away because I really wanted the engine/trans out of that thing).

Anyways, I've had it for about 2 months and have just recently noticed the following problems.

These first 2 I read about as they seem to be known issues, but what I'm wanting to see is if any of these other issues are known and also what other things I should be on the look out for. I'm planning on scheduling a warranty visit next week so if there are other known things I'd rather look for them now before I go, so they can be fixed in one shot.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what I should tell the dealer if they give me a hard time about any of this would be appreciated.

1. Fuel pump whistle - This just started about a week or two ago, and is my main concern. It seems like it is getting louder too which worries me. Basically the fuel pump makes a whistling noise...it almost sounds like if you didn't have the air ducts sealed up correctly under the hood but it comes from the left rear under the car. Apparently some people have been told this is acceptable noise from the vehicle (but these posts are all over a year old). Does anyone know exactly what this is, what they are supposed to do to fix it, etc?? I know the car didn't do this when I bought it.

2. Driver window squeak/marks on window - This just stated a few days ago but about 3/4 of the way down the window makes a sqeak noise and it appears 2 marks are starting to form on the glass which is not good.

Now these are issues I've noticed but haven't really read anything about

3. Gear shift, going into park - There is a weird "crunching" noise when I am shifting into park, basically between reverse and park. This just started last week when I was on a trip to Detroit for the woodward dream cruise (everyone needs to check that out sometime, btw). There appears to be some resistance at that point, which is more than before this noise started. Has anyone else had this problem/know what it is?

4. Drivers seat is loose and squeaks - This has been since I had the car. There is a squeaking noise that you even hear when you turn and hit bumps, but it isn't always there (I think it depends on the angle of the seat). I was having the hardest time figuring out what the hell the noise was until I started looking around and reaching between the seat and the center console trying to feel for something loose in there. By shifting my weight I was making the seat move and I realized that was the cause. I then began shifting around more and pushed off with my feet and the seat actually pivoted some, which leads me to believe this is the root of the issue. Again has this happened to anyone/what is the exact reason?

Finally, as I mentioned before, can people tell me what else they have been running into? I'm a little upset about these issues since this is the newest and by far most expensive car I've ever bought. I'm not sure if all cars go through this when they are newer and since everything else I've had is at least 6 years old, that these types of things have been fixed before I bought the car. If these things keep popping up I'm going to be pretty dissatisfied that is for sure.

Hopefully this thread can help other people who may be in a similar situation as well.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I don't have the crossover in question but I can advise on the window issue. It needs to be adjusted in the track. I would ask for replacement glass as well since it is scraping and effecting visability.

Seat issue should be easy to resolve with some tighening.

Your fuel pump is in the fuel tank. A little buzz with the window down should be all you hear.

trans issue seems to be that your shifter/console may need some adjustment.

I have a buick with the center console/shifter and that is what had to happen on mine. It got so back I could not put it back in park once out.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM
fixdent
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4. Drivers seat is loose and squeaks - This has been since I had the car. There is a squeaking noise that you even hear when you turn and hit bumps, but it isn't always there (I think it depends on the angle of the seat). I was having the hardest time figuring out what the hell the noise was until I started looking around and reaching between the seat and the center console trying to feel for something loose in there. By shifting my weight I was making the seat move and I realized that was the cause. I then began shifting around more and pushed off with my feet and the seat actually pivoted some, which leads me to believe this is the root of the issue. Again has this happened to anyone/what is the exact reason?
I have a 2010 Edge, and have the same seat issue. My wife complains about it all the time, and I don't hardly ever drive the Edge.

We also have transmission issues. When she comes down a particular hill heading home after work, there is a stop sign at the bottom. When she proceeds across the intersection, also 'bam', almost like we got rear-ended. The transmission doesn't seem to be downshifting properly when she stopps at the sign, but does it with a bang when proceeding across the street.

It has 35,000 kms on it and is going into the dealer next week.

I'll have them check out the seat also.

--
Gordon

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
There are some TSbs on those issues

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One issue which may or may not show up is a fine white powdery residue blowing around your cabin. It is insulation from inside the evaporator housing and resembles fine dandruff all over your console seats and dash top. If vacuuming the ductwork out doesn't eliminate the dust, then they have to tear into it. After undergoing a thorough vacuuming at the dealership, our 2011 MKX is spewing the white dust again, hoping not to have it torn into. Another 2010 MKX of a family member had the white powder issues which were finally solved by an evaporator replacement. Theirs also had the entire transmission valve body replaced (violent downshifts) as well as the scratched front window, but after those were fixed all is good.