1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What does your truck mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
What does your truck mean to you?

I've been working on my truck for 8 plus years. I drive it when I can, gas prices aren't a concern, time is.
I would not build a trailer queen because you can't drive that. I do like to look good where ever I go.
I try not to count the money I have invested into it, but I do need to calculate the money needed for future work.
My truck is not specifically for show, I just like the way it turns heads and when I'm behind the wheel, I just like the way it feels.
I do know one thing, when I'm down or worried about other issues life brings on, nothing beats a long drive in the truck to put everything into prospective.
Resale value, never a thought I built it for me. My ideas, my plans, my enjoyment.
Do I care what purists think? Not really, however, I do value their knowledge.
I've built my truck with thought and research, not wanting to butcher or over mod. Most people like it, some don't. Some like certain things others don't.
It is mine and I built it for me. I think the body design for th 64 65 66 is just bad ***.
What about you guy's and gal's, Why are you building a slick? What do you hope to achieve when finished? For those of you who inherited a slick, would you still build one if there was no sentimental value?
Description:

Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM
63' f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that is why just about everyone of us is here. If you buy one of these trucks for an investment, you are wrong. Mine was my great grandfathers. Of course, he had absolutely no intention whatsoever of it being collectable or a part of his family history, but it is. He bought it as a farm/camp truck. Now its a piece of my family's history and it is here to stay.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
For those of you who inherited a slick, would you still build one if there was no sentimental value?
I was looking for a F250 4X4 slick when I was thirteen 2 years ago for my first truck. When my Grandma found out, she gave me (for lots of work) the one my Grandpa bought new in '66 for a ranch truck.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:07 PM
jacks61ford
Senior User
well like most here I inherited my grand fathers truck he purchased new I've been modding it and restoring it just trying to make her sweet again like she was when I was growing up some of my family are glad it's still in the family some wish I'd let it die some wish I would leave it original as for would I have another slick besides inheritance yes I just bought a 62 to sit beside my 61 and I'm a uni guy factory frenched tail lights the smooth uncut lines just lovem

Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
smithriver101
Junior User
Howard Roark ( think The Fountainhead ) would be proud. Do it your way, for you and none other.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Jeff66
Freshman User
My '66 means a lot to me. I've done most of the work myself, I've learned so much from the people on this site. I have been working on my truck for just over 4 years and I can say that the work won't ever be completed unless I sell it which I don't foresee that happening. I thoroughly enjoy driving it and working on it. I'm in the process of getting it ready to paint and after it is painted I will continue to use it as it was intended to be used, as a truck. I will take it to car shows but not with the intent of getting awards but to just show it off and mingle with others who share my interests in cars and trucks. It won't be a trailer queen or a weekend driver, in this economy I can't afford not to drive it. I have no problems or qualms with trailer queens or the people who own them, they're still cool to look at. My belief is; trucks and or cars were built to be driven and that is what I intend to do. Many, many, many thanks to all those who share their knowledge, without it, my truck wouldn't be in the shape it is today. The only credit I take for my truck is that I have a knack for following other people's directions and advice.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
429unibody
Elder User
My first Slick was and is my 61 Short box F100 Unibody. My Dad got it from a friend of his for free for my younger brother Miles when he was 14 years old So Miles and I had good intentions of taking the truck apart to fix it up.Well that was the way the truck sat. One day Miles needed some SBC engine parts for his 76 Nova he had so we made a trade my parts for his 61 Ford. Oh I forgot to mention this was 30 years ago, after I got my first computer back in 2000 I started looking things up on the internet and discovered how rare the Unibody trucks are especially Canadian trucks 12,000 61's so in 2002 my Wife and I built our new home and soon after I brought the 61 to my new place where my collection began. Miles died from drug abuse 2 years ago at 44 years young (same age my Mom died at 26 years earlier from a massive brain aneurysm)and I had no clue he had such a bad addition to drugs,I started working on the 61 a couple years back installing a Aerostar front suspension 2 albums of the build in my albums I am currently building my restoration shop at my property here in B.C. As soon as the shop is done I will bring the 61 in and work on getting her (Shizz & Giggles)done. This build is going to be a budget build and driven like it's stolen, 429 C6 4 link Dana 60 dropped air bagged. Does the truck have sentimental value hells yes will I ever part with it hells no, I will pass it down to my Son. I love these slicks and I share them with everyone who drives by on highway 5 in central B.C. stop by and sign my guest book someday and I'll show you my babies!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just woke up. I would like ta jump back in here when I get a chance and tell the story of the 62 Uni. I'm a picture Guy. I like to see what we are talking about.
I hope ya don't mined but here is one of the 62.

FTE won't let me into my Albums. See if I can find one on my hard drive.

This one don't do Her Justus. More in Album

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2012, 09:40 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i'v got 3 ford trucks but (46' 64' 89')i always like the 65' best from way back always wanted one, bought big red(64 f250 4wd was cal trans orange) in 1985-86 their abouts traded my 60' f100 4wd for a red paint job. now its pay back for red she gave me 20yrs of hard work so took her apart to rolling chassis and giveing her a rebuild except the 292
though i have a 64 i still like the 65' best?? i couldn't even tell you the difference between them
so why just payback
roy
ps:
got my 65' last spring used it for a donor so that one lives on in my 64'
nostalgia yes its nostalgia

Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I've always liked Ford trucks, and I was originally looking for a '60 (my birth year). My '65 came to me, through word of mouth, from the widow of the original owner. I remember the first time that I drove the truck. It seemed that the cab wasn't big enough, because the steering wheel was in my chest. I soon got used to that, and realized how much I enjoyed just driving the backroads with the wife. To my surprise, she enjoyed the drives as well, and I don't have to pretend to break down in some lonely location. My only plan with the truck is to make it mechanically sound, so that I don't actually break down. I only drive a few thousand miles a year, yet every weekend it is in my mind to take her out. No plans for selling the old girl. I'm having too much fun.

Kurt

Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first car was a ’39 Ford tudor sedan that had been sitting out in an Oklahoma pasture for 15+ years. My dad & I drug it home 15 miles with his no frills, holly green ’65 F100 long bed, 352, 3 on the tree. He had bought the truck new but by this time he had swapped in a 289 in hopes of better mpgs. I was 14 and the goal was to have the ‘39 ready to roll by the time I was 16. We were ahead of schedule and I was driving it at 15 ½.

I’ve always loved older cars. I’ve had a few new ones along the way but always gravitate back to the old ones, but I’m definitely open to a few modern upgrades.

I bought my ’66 F100 shortbed about 3 ½ years ago. To be honest, I was looking for a shortbed uni at the time because I think they look really cool when lowered a bit with the wheel base corrected by an inch or two , but the seller & I just couldn’t get together on the price.

Then craigslist revealed this ’66 F100 shorty, styleside, custom cab, 352/cruiseomatic. It was Wimbledon white like my grandmother’s ’64 Galaxie that I’ll talk about in another story and the dash was Holly green (appears to be original paint) like my dad’s ’65 F100. The sentimental value of the “color connection” may have impaired my vision for a couple of other things but….oh well…

Thanks to you guys, I had already learned the areas to check for rust because I joined FTE before I bought a truck. Cab mounts & floors were excellent. Had a little rust in front of bed floor & on front edge of the hood but was otherwise a pretty nice California “black plate” truck. I bought it for a daily driver. After swapping in power steering & power discs, it became a pleasure to drive and feels pretty safe.

It’s far from perfect and the gas mileage really sucks but I daily get waves, thumbs up, “nice truck” gestures & comments wherever I am in southern California. It’s also opened the door to some really great friends & acquaintances. I love my truck! Long-winded post!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool stories. I guess I should have posted a picture of my truck, here it is.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 itxtNodeId="34" itxtHarvested="0"><TBODY itxtNodeId="35" itxtHarvested="0"><TR itxtNodeId="38" itxtHarvested="0"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtNodeId="49" itxtHarvested="0">Description: </TD></TR><TR itxtNodeId="37" itxtHarvested="0"><TD bg*************** colSpan=2 align=middle itxtNodeId="51" itxtHarvested="0">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Description:

[Forum Codes]

Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Sidd79
New User
My 66 F-100 swb Flareside

Well, an unknown farmer bought it new, with an I-6 and 3speed, and sometime in the early 80s it ended up with a 302 and NP435. My dad bought it in 1985 for real cheap. The body was all sorts of rusted and bent. He just bought it to play around with, and never could leave it alone for very long. He did a bunch of body work and painted it several times, and all through my childhood he drove it, a couple jeeps, a couple of dent-sides, (one of them is also a permanent member of the family) and a Harley. He painted it for the last time and quit driving it about 8 years ago, and almost 2 years ago, I finally got him to give it up. The body is in really rough shape, most people would only use it for parts, but I've got it mechanically sound and drive it at least every couple of days. She won't ever be pretty, but she'll always be bad-***.

A couple months before I got ahold of her

Yesterday

I would definately have it even without sentimental value, and I plan on having more old Fords. Thery're just plain nifty.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I just woke up. I would like ta jump back in here when I get a chance and tell the story of the 62 Uni. I'm a picture Guy. I like to see what we are talking about.
I hope ya don't mined but here is one of the 62.

FTE won't let me into my Albums. See if I can find one on my hard drive. FYI: They are still in your albums, but here they are if you need them ;-)

This one don't do Her Justus. More in Album

Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Gangstakr, your original post took the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly why I bought my truck. I can't add any more to that. What a great sentiment.

Quick Reply: What does your truck mean to you?