Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
New User

May Bell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool fuel line leak

my '79 f-250 has been coughing lately. found air bubbles in fuel filter. truck stalls if I don't step on gas when she coughs/hesitates/wants to stall. there's decent pressure going directly to fuel filter but it's not very much, in the sense of pressure. otherwise she runs solid for a couple days and then acts up again. I do have a fuel leak immediatly before fuel tank, it leaks only when putting gas in truck (what's that all about?). any ideas gentlemen?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Posting Guru

460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.
You might have a leak in the fill tube.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
The leak before the tank is, like 460 FORD MAN said, probably the filler tube. There are two hoses that connect the fill neck to the tank, one the actual filler and a vent line. Either of these could be causing the leak but it is probably the filler line.
Check all the soft lines in your fuel line. There are at least two (short bed) or three (long bed) or more if you have an auxilliary tank.
These neoprene hoses get brittle with age and crack allowing the pump to suck air. Another problem is it could be carb rebuild time.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
carb engines only run on like 4 psi of fuel pressure so "not very much" may be enough. You could plug one end with a bolt or something and do a pressure test using an air tank or compressor on the other end and see if you hear any hissing. I'd only put like 10 psi in it though. If the lines look rusty or the rubber lines look cracked, I'd replace the suspect looking components. fuel leak isn't something you really want to take chances with.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
New User

Question

filler tube, ok I'll check that and all rubber too. thx for the quick replies, I live in the hills , sorry for my slow reply. so possible leak in fuel line is allowing air in my air filter then carb and that's probably my coughing/hesitating problem?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
A good pump should be putting out right around 7 psi. You need to put a gauge on it to see whats going on.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Junior User

JunkyardFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might have a combination of issues. As said before, the leak is likely in your filler tube. Also, it is great advice to check the soft fuel lines. It also sounds like you might need to check the carb for debris. How long ago have you changed your fuel filter? I had a truck that was sucking the fuel lines closed, due to wear and age on the old lines, so check all of them.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
You may also have tiny pin holes in your old rubber fuel line.

Small enough not to leak any fuel but large enough to suck in air.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardFord View Post
You might have a combination of issues. As said before, the leak is likely in your filler tube. Also, it is great advice to check the soft fuel lines. It also sounds like you might need to check the carb for debris. How long ago have you changed your fuel filter? I had a truck that was sucking the fuel lines closed, due to wear and age on the old lines, so check all of them.
checked carb last week, and changed the needles and seat (floater was getting stuck). otherwise carb is super duper clean. I'm going with leaks in soft fuel line, just makes sense. I'm just gonna go ahead and put new rubber down there, all around. Keep ya'll updated, and thank you for the replies!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Junior User

JunkyardFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good luck with it.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks