Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Senior User

bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.
2002 Ranger Tremor Battery Drain

Hey everybody, sorry it's been so long since I was last here; working for a railroad and going to school (Tulane in Madison) at night eats up every minute of what spare time I used to have. Anyways, I am having an issue with my 02 Tremor and hope I can get some help. Since I drive a company provided F150 every day for work, my trusty Ranger doesn't get driven as much as she used to, so about two weeks ago when I tried to crank her, the five year old battery was dead, no surprise there.

The surprise is I put a new battery in and saw sparks when the positive cable was touched to the terminal - I know, current draw. Checked the I/P fuse panel one fuse at a time and saw spark on pos terminal - disconnected the alternator and voltage regulator and saw sparks - disconnected the starter and saw sparks - disconnected the remote keyless entry I installed over winter 2010 and saw sparks.

Hooked a multimeter to the battery while connected and watched voltage drop steadily to 12.5; disconnect battery and battery recovers to 12.99. Connected battery and started the engine, checked the voltage - started at 14.4 then worked its way down to 14.2 before i shut the engine off and disconnected the battery.

Checked continuity of the voltage regulator and it is 3.2 ohms, which is good. Checking o/p of alternator when running is about 14.4 - o/p of voltage regulator is about 14.0. I would maybe think voltage regulator brushes may need to be replaced but even when it is taken out of circuit there is still a battery drain as evidenced by the previously mentioned spark on the pos terminal of the battery.

Short of pulling the alternator and having it checked at AutoZone, I am out of ideas...
A veteran - whether active duty, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand that.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Postmaster

Furyus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputation
I think if it were me, I would pull all the fuses and relays then check for a draw - if no draw, then start putting the fuses and relays back in one at a time while checking for a draw after each one is reinstalled - that might help narrow down where it's coming from...

Just a thought...
"
You obviously don't comprehend the level of insane I operate at." - The 4th Doctor
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior User

bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, that's what I did last night - pulled each fuse out and had my wife check the battery after each pull. Finally found fuse 26 "battery saver relay" - pulled the interior light bulb to eliminate the draw and now need to find where this relay is and replace it.
A veteran - whether active duty, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand that.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM
New User

Knuckles13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had a similar problem on my Ranger. Drives all day, leave it over night, next morning battery dead. The current draw I was seeing was only about 250 ma, didn't seem like enough to kill a battery. It turned out to be a relay in the fuse box under the hood. The relay was relay 56B used for the front washer pump, which still works. How I figured it out was this, I was going under the assumption that a relay was stuck. So, knowing that if it was stuck in the on position and I put it in the A/C clutch relay slot it should turn the clutch on. So, I pulled the A/C clutch relay and one at a time put the other relays of the same type into that slot. The second or third one I did turned the A/C clutch on. When I checked the relay with and ohm meter it was ready continuity between contacts 3 and 4 and 3 and 5 at the same time. Meaning the normally closed and open contacts were shorted together. I changed the relay and the problem was solved. You could actually check the relays with the ohm meter instead of plugging them into the A/C clutch like I did, probably safer. There is a diagram on the side of the relay that shows how the inner workings of the relay are wired and the diagram is shown in the deenergized position.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM
New User

Knuckles13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just to add a little, the reason why I thought it was a relay was, I had checked or replaced or swapped everything else and nothing seemed to be wrong. The only thing left was relays.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series