Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 PM
77 2wd 77 2wd is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
77 2wd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual exhaust

Putting a 429 in my truck, alrighty got a set of dual headers, i need advice on what kind of dual exhaust to run, any suggestions on muffler glass packs all those goodies?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
montana_highboy's Avatar
montana_highboy montana_highboy is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 8,263
montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
2.5" pipe, X or H pipe about a foot behind the collectors (if you can fit it) if not, true duals are just fine too, free flowing muffler/glasspack, terminate it to your liking e.g. at the rear wheels, under the bumper, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM
77 2wd 77 2wd is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
77 2wd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana_highboy View Post
2.5" pipe, X or H pipe about a foot behind the collectors (if you can fit it) if not, true duals are just fine too, free flowing muffler/glasspack, terminate it to your liking e.g. at the rear wheels, under the bumper, etc.
alright, so when i go to my muffler shop tell em 2.5" pipe with an X pipe preferably behind the collectors, and glasspacks? ive heard good things about flowaster 40's, is that what they call a certain muffler?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
HIO Silver's Avatar
HIO Silver HIO Silver is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 10,413
HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 2wd View Post
alright, so when i go to my muffler shop tell em 2.5" pipe with an X pipe preferably behind the collectors, and glasspacks? ive heard good things about flowaster 40's, is that what they call a certain muffler?
No. Glasspacks are just like the word says. It's made with a perforated inner tube wrapped with fiberglass packing to absorb the sound waves. Then it is inserted in a steel tube. Then the outer tube's the ends are spun down and welded to the inner tube. More accurately, they should be called "glass-packed".

Flowmaster 40s are referred to as "welded mufflers" with a thick outer casing. Inside, the exhaust flow and sound waves are deflected with baffles for sound tuning and sound absorption. Sound waves that are 180° out of phase and meet each other in opposing directions cancel each other out. Flowmaster designs their mufflers to cancel out certain frequencies while maximizing flow given the application.

If you can weld, buy Speedway Motors' mandrel bent tubing kit and fab it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
460 FORD MAN's Avatar
460 FORD MAN 460 FORD MAN is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,934
460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.
I got a 460 with dual glasspacks and they sound loud and mean.
__________________
Brandon
'79 F150 4x4 Mild 460
'97 F150 2wd 4.6L
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
77 2wd 77 2wd is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
77 2wd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
No. Glasspacks are just like the word says. It's made with a perforated inner tube wrapped with fiberglass packing to absorb the sound waves. Then it is inserted in a steel tube. Then the outer tube's the ends are spun down and welded to the inner tube. More accurately, they should be called "glass-packed".

Flowmaster 40s are referred to as "welded mufflers" with a thick outer casing. Inside, the exhaust flow and sound waves are deflected with baffles for sound tuning and sound absorption. Sound waves that are 180° out of phase and meet each other in opposing directions cancel each other out. Flowmaster designs their mufflers to cancel out certain frequencies while maximizing flow given the application.

If you can weld, buy Speedway Motors' mandrel bent tubing kit and fab it yourself.
how much would that cost?? and should i go with glasspacks or flowmaster 40's ive heard great things about both!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
HIO Silver's Avatar
HIO Silver HIO Silver is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 10,413
HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
A 2.5-inch mild steel kit is only $140 from Speedway... It's like $220 from Summit... save some moolah and apply what you save towards Flowmaster 40s. Around $90 apiece. Alternatively, I recall Summit just came out with Flowmaster-looking welded mufflers for about $30 each.

Personally, I avoid glasspacks because the fiberglass packing crumbles over time and all ya end up with is a 5hitty sounding ride. Relatively inexpensive yes but crappy quality.

YOU have to decide what is best for you. I went with Moroso Spiral Flows... $55 each, compact, no fiberglass, and no moving parts like Dynomax's VT muffler.. Btw, stay away from the VTs.. it's a stoopid gimmick.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
77 2wd 77 2wd is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 308
77 2wd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
A 2.5-inch mild steel kit is only $140 from Speedway... It's like $220 from Summit... save some moolah and apply what you save towards Flowmaster 40s. Around $90 apiece. Alternatively, I recall Summit just came out with Flowmaster-looking welded mufflers for about $30 each.

Personally, I avoid glasspacks because the fiberglass packing crumbles over time and all ya end up with is a 5hitty sounding ride. Relatively inexpensive yes but crappy quality.

YOU have to decide what is best for you. I went with Moroso Spiral Flows... $55 each, compact, no fiberglass, and no moving parts like Dynomax's VT muffler.. Btw, stay away from the VTs.. it's a stoopid gimmick.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
460 FORD MAN's Avatar
460 FORD MAN 460 FORD MAN is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,934
460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Personally, I avoid glasspacks because the fiberglass packing crumbles over time and all ya end up with is a 5hitty sounding ride. Relatively inexpensive yes but crappy quality.
Hahaha, thanks HIO!
But you have to admit they sound good while they last!
__________________
Brandon
'79 F150 4x4 Mild 460
'97 F150 2wd 4.6L
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM
HIO Silver's Avatar
HIO Silver HIO Silver is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 10,413
HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN View Post
Hahaha, thanks HIO!
But you have to admit they sound good while they last!
True... while they last.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 PM
410F-100's Avatar
410F-100 410F-100 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
410F-100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
flowmaster is deffinatly the way to go... there are also a couple different types flowmaster 40, the super 40s will be louder than the deltas... check their sight,they have a few vids for a general idea.
flowmaster alos highly recomends a Hpipe over the Xpipes for bigger motors. X pipes tend to benefit smaller motors like 4 bangers...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man View Post
Besides, you never know when the zombies will attack, and I'm gonna wanna be in the closest thing to a tank I can get my hands on.
we're all susceptible to zombie attacks. Which would you rather be in, a flower power Yaris, or a rip snorting dentside?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM
jgavac's Avatar
jgavac jgavac is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 2,027
jgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to all
Jameson Gavac jagg007
I lean towards glasspacks over flows. I personally think the flows sound a little odd on 460 trucks, but thats just me. If my truck had a smaller engine, say 351 or 302 I might have gone with flows.



$0.02
Jameson
__________________
Driver: 1976 F250 4x4 300/NP435/NP205 D44 4.10 front, D60 4.10 rear
Project: 71 Baja Bug/1600DP/3 rib bus trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Thanks for the myopic criticism Montana. You're bundle of joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
Whiskey does not agree with me, and Mr. Daniels is always getting me in trouble
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM
dynamic's Avatar
dynamic dynamic is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 2,337
dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
Personally I prefer the flowmaster super 40's. Love the sound.
__________________

Click Here to become a RI Chapter Member

Tom - Rhode Island Chapter Leader

"Speed is just a question of money... How fast can you go?" - Mad Max
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
410F-100's Avatar
410F-100 410F-100 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
410F-100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
glasspacks do sound awsome on just about everything, but the glass tends to break down. i like the idea of baffles over glass. and stainless, never buy mufflers again!
i have a vw w/ a built vr6 that has a single delta 40 and a long resonater, but still fairly loud,and when it backfires its a piggy attracting bang!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man View Post
Besides, you never know when the zombies will attack, and I'm gonna wanna be in the closest thing to a tank I can get my hands on.
we're all susceptible to zombie attacks. Which would you rather be in, a flower power Yaris, or a rip snorting dentside?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
montana_highboy's Avatar
montana_highboy montana_highboy is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 8,263
montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
As far as glasspacks go it's like anything else, you get what you pay for, some are better than others.

I've been running "Jones PowerPack" glasspacks from "Full Line Exhaust" for over 8yrs (link below) and they've yet to blow out and still sound great.

They're 14 gauge aluminized steel, perforated core, which holds the 'glass' in better than a louvered core glasspack does, the perforated core also creates less back pressure.

They're also made in the USA.

Full Line Exhaust - Glasspacks
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
True dual exhaust akbash 6.2L V8 7 06-22-2014 07:16 PM
Exhaust Question 79Ranger250 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 05-14-2014 12:02 PM
dual exhaust turbo back installation Kingkoopa 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 49 03-27-2014 01:49 PM
Dual exhaust sglass57 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 2 03-03-2013 10:38 PM
Dual exhaust remhaust 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 1 09-03-2012 01:51 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup