1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Camper question on F350 DRW

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Truck Camper question on F350 DRW

Hey all,

My dads getting ready to retire in a couple of years and his dream is to have an F350 Dually with a Camper to travel the states from time to time. He is planning to go Gas (6.2L v8) not diesel because he wont load the camper full time, just around 3 months of the year and lower maintenance. The rest of the time he is planning to use it for the every now and then trip to the hardware store.

He really likes the Lance 1191, but after going through the specs I think its just to big of a camper for the truck. What are your opinions? What he has in mind is every year take the grand kids out for summer vacation. With the Camper, gear and 5 people I think its just to much. I looked at the Ford Brochure and the F350 DRW 4x4 172.4" WB has a payload capacity of 5,990 lbs. The F450 DRW 4x4 172.4" WB is 5,260 lbs.

The Lance 1191 Camper has a dry weight of 3,705lbs add to that full tanks and gear. Let me know your advice and sorry for the long post.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 AM
FORD FRED
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I spent a few years as the unofficial payload and towing guru at a high volume Ford dealership. In this capacity I have had over the years several conversations with the engineers at Ford. I think your father is on the right path. The 6.2L Ford F350 4x4 dually with the 4.30 LS rearend would be the right truck for this camper and payload. One thing everyone should always remember is that they should not ever be scared to operate up close to the payload or towing ratings that Ford sets on these trucks. Ford is very, very conservative when setting these ratings as they have to be prepared to defend them in court for thses ratings for everyday use at up to 11,400 feet in elevation if my memory serves me correctly. Also his choice of the Lance 1191 model with the I suspect fold down bunk bed option is a great choice as well. You did not say exactly what type of camping he might want to do. But I would suggest that if he wants to do some extended "boondocking" trips that towing an aluminum 5' x 10' enclosed trailer stuffed with bicycles, coolers, grilling equipment, cases of drinks and bottled water, as well as an additional 35 gallons of fresh water and some gas containers so that his ability to run the generator is not limited. Finish his load off with tarps that can be erected and some indoor outdoor carpet that can be rolled up as well as some canned goods in reserve and the entire party could be set for an extended period. Good luck .

Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will have plenty of truck to haul that slide in.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Most of the camping he will do will be at campgrounds with shore power and dump stations to start. Later on I believe he will enjoy boondocking. I'm finding out the hardest part of this will be choosing Campers. He went to go look at the Arctic Fox 990 and fell in love with it.

If anyone has experiences with Truck Campers whether good or bad let me know.

Cheers

Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
kx450frider617
Senior User

Anyway, the truck holds the camper fine. Although I would NOT use this big of a camper on a SRW truck. The truck has automatic airbag helper springs for when we attach a boat to the back. The camper does make the super stiff ride of a F350 dually ride like a cadillac. It is super easy to drive and is very economical for short trips.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 08-30-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Remove sales pitch - no selling in the forums.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Originally Posted by FORD FRED
Hello, I spent a few years as the unofficial payload and towing guru at a high volume Ford dealership. In this capacity I have had over the years several conversations with the engineers at Ford. I think your father is on the right path. The 6.2L Ford F350 4x4 dually with the 4.30 LS rearend would be the right truck for this camper and payload. One thing everyone should always remember is that they should not ever be scared to operate up close to the payload or towing ratings that Ford sets on these trucks. Ford is very, very conservative when setting these ratings as they have to be prepared to defend them in court for thses ratings for everyday use at up to 11,400 feet in elevation if my memory serves me correctly. Also his choice of the Lance 1191 model with the I suspect fold down bunk bed option is a great choice as well. You did not say exactly what type of camping he might want to do. But I would suggest that if he wants to do some extended "boondocking" trips that towing an aluminum 5' x 10' enclosed trailer stuffed with bicycles, coolers, grilling equipment, cases of drinks and bottled water, as well as an additional 35 gallons of fresh water and some gas containers so that his ability to run the generator is not limited. Finish his load off with tarps that can be erected and some indoor outdoor carpet that can be rolled up as well as some canned goods in reserve and the entire party could be set for an extended period. Good luck .
Given you were able to interact with Ford engineers over the years, do you have any knowledge of how to find out rear leaf spring ratings on a 2012 F-250? Would like to upgrade mine to something more like what is on a F-350, but cannot find any information on ratings, etc. For starters, the spring code is CCFF on my 250: What (where would I find out) is the capacity of these springs (especially on the rear)?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangary
Given you were able to interact with Ford engineers over the years, do you have any knowledge of how to find out rear leaf spring ratings on a 2012 F-250? Would like to upgrade mine to something more like what is on a F-350, but cannot find any information on ratings, etc. For starters, the spring code is CCFF on my 250: What (where would I find out) is the capacity of these springs (especially on the rear)?
Check out page 80 of this spec book:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...Pickups_SB.pdf

While it doesn't have the specific spring code you mentioned in your post, there are only four to choose from for the F-250. You should be able to figure it out from that.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 PM
mustangary
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72

While it doesn't have the specific spring code you mentioned in your post, there are only four to choose from for the F-250. You should be able to figure it out from that.
So, could one put the higher rated F-350 rear spring pack (7000 pounds) on the F-250, and in effect get that increased capacity (in effect increasing the GVWR) on the 250? It seems the frame, rear axle housing, brakes, etc. are identical on the SRW 250 and 250, so the difference in GVWR is only in the springs (especially the rear springs)?

Very much appreciate your pointing me to p. 80 in this spec book...

Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 AM
mustangary
Junior User
Rating at ground doesn't change

Originally Posted by powerstroke72

Now I am really curious as to how to think about rear spring ratings, in that the 6100 pound "combined rating @ ground" does not change with the various spring packs... it is identical no matter which spring pack is used.

Is this the "legal rating" and not the "functional (what it can actually haul, handle)" rating? Also, if it is actual capability to haul, what gives the F-350 the higher 7000 pound rating, comparing lines 1 and 3... springs look identical, but the F-350 comes in 1000 pounds higher in the rating.

Is it the blocks? I noticed in another thread in this Forum that the F-350 has 4-blocks rather than 2-blocks... could that make the difference?

Not an engineer here... just running on intuition!!!

Again, thanks for pointing to p. 80... very helpful!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
No problem on the spec sheet.

From what I can tell, the only real difference is (and has been) the rear blocks. There is about a 2 inch difference in the height of the rear blocks between the 250 and 350 (SRW). That said, there's no way to alter your actual GVWR that's posted on the VIN decal on the truck. It is capable of more than what's posted on that decal but legally, that posted number is your limit.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rather than going through the hassle of getting different springs, just add air bags. Since you cannot change your legal weight limit, I find it is best not to look overloaded and attract the attention of the bears.