Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior User

whiteaddiction is starting off with a positive reputation.
added a filter to my truck, CEL?

Is there something else that has to be done when adding an inline filter? I just added a FRAM PH8A filter, unhooked the fuel lines from the inlet of the fuel pump in the valley of the engine and jumped it over to my filter. No my computer says lack of fuel pressure?
Any help... Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaddiction View Post
unhooked the fuel lines from the inlet of the fuel pump in the valley of the engine and jumped it over to my filter.
Any help... Thanks
Having a hard time visualizing this one, bud. You got the fuel bowl in front of valley, but the pump itself is down below d/s door, inside the frame..
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Having a hard time visualizing this one, bud. You got the fuel bowl in front of valley, but the pump itself is down below d/s door, inside the frame..
The only fuel pump I have is the factory one on the top of the engine. there is no pump on the frame.
I put a FRAM PH8A filter inline before the factory pump, but it seems to be too hard for the pump to pull the fuel threw the FRAM filter.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
apologize, was thinking that you had a 99-03 7.3 truck..

I'd say, remove the filter and see what happens. Maybe, the filter is too small of micron rating. I wouldnt put anything under a 30micron, before pump, without a "helper" pump.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Elder User

rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Is there something else that has to be done when adding an inline filter? I just added a FRAM PH8A filter, unhooked the fuel lines from the inlet of the fuel pump in the valley of the engine and jumped it over to my filter. No my computer says lack of fuel pressure?
Any help... Thanks
How did you route the hose? The lines might have kinked causing too much restriction. Secondly the PH8A is an oil filter...not a fuel filter. Different media and micron ratings are different. Fuel filters are single pass, oil filters are multipass. I would dump the fram IMHO.

Sold:2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 4WD 7.3 4R100, 08 diff cover, RiffRaff 6637, HPX, 203* T-Stat, Stancor Relay, Mile Marker Hubs, 6.0 trans cooler
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
How did you route the hose? The lines might have kinked causing too much restriction. Secondly the PH8A is an oil filter...not a fuel filter. Different media and micron ratings are different. Fuel filters are single pass, oil filters are multipass. I would dump the fram IMHO.
I dont know what single or multipass means?

There was deff not a kink in my hose. But the hose I used might be too soft and could have sucked close? I was wondering if I should put it after the pump?
Anyway the truck has been running great since I took the filter off, I was just trying to get something a little more better and cheaper for filtering.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Elder User

rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I dont know what single or multipass means?

There was deff not a kink in my hose. But the hose I used might be too soft and could have sucked close? I was wondering if I should put it after the pump?
Anyway the truck has been running great since I took the filter off, I was just trying to get something a little more better and cheaper for filtering.
Per SAE J1985 single pass filtration efficiency measures how efficient a filter stop particulates at one pass of the fluid through the filter.

Multi-pass measures the efficiency when the fluid gets circulated multiple times.

Single pass ratings make more sense with a fuel filter since at least some of the fuel will only see the filter once, while oil (or trans fluid or coolant etc etc) will see the filter many times in the relatively closed environment.

A better bet would be a Baldwin BF1311 filter head and a BF1212 fuel filter pre-pump.

Baldwin Filter FB1311 Fuel Filter Base

Sold:2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 4WD 7.3 4R100, 08 diff cover, RiffRaff 6637, HPX, 203* T-Stat, Stancor Relay, Mile Marker Hubs, 6.0 trans cooler
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels