1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

IFS and IRS options?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IFS and IRS options?

Hey,
I have been searching the threads and picking up a lot of info on differant IFS and IRS systems but I know that my list of all possible options is far from complete.

So, heres my request:

Would all of you guys in the know list all of the differant donor cars by make, model, and year group that can be bolted in to a 55 f-100 frame.

I am out of town traveling around on fire assignments this summer and would love to have a complete list so I can hit up every salvage yard I pass.

Thanks for any info. Gary

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
I would think this would keep you busy for a while.
53-79 F-Series Steering & Suspension .: Articles

Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Thanks Harrier,,,I'll get right on it.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Project-55
Elder User
I have checked those out before.

What I am looking for is a list of ford cars that have bolt in IFS and IRS under them that will fit my 55 chassis, I should have stated that from the start.

I want to keep it as ford as possible but want to bring it up to date and lower the ride height at the same time.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
easy front suspension = mustang 2 . rear , the irs out of a 90-97 tbird , cougar , mark 8 . plenty of guys on here using both so hit the search and ye shall find some info .

Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 AM
HkyswiM
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
As stated for the rear the cougar or mark 8 are good irs. For the front my plans are for the 04 and up crown Vic. Your not gonna find a true bolt in as they will all require some welding or cutting to fit.

I'm not at home but do a search as this has been discussed many times and some threads have great pics of the installs.

Good luck with what you choose.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,370 Posts
Originally Posted by Project-55

What I am looking for is a list of ford cars that have bolt in IFS and IRS under them that will fit my 55 chassis
The short answer is, there are none. No IFS or IRS from anything is going to bolt into your existing stock chassis. No matter which way you go, there's going to be significant modifications, ie: custom welding, cutting, crossmember building and general custom fabrication for any alternate suspension to attach to the truck frame.

The truck frame was never designed or intended for either suspension design, and subsequent cars were never engineered with that kind of retrofit in mind. That's why an entire hot rod suspension industry has been created over the last 40 years to help and allow the average person with basic skills to do precisely what you propose.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Would all of you guys in the know list all of the differant donor cars by make, model, and year group that can be bolted in to a 55 f-100 frame.
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The short answer is, there are none.
If I were you, I would consider finding a Jaguar and using the IFS/IRS out of it. I think that would be the easiest/simplest/cheapest/best way to go (depending on what you pay for the Shaguar).

I know where one is sitting for sale, likely dead, and I can hear the dark side calling me.

I keep telling myself that I have to get my F1 running and driving in stock form before I do anything drastic. Unfortunately, walking past my F1 and driving past that Jag every day isn't easy!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you keep the IRS out of your build, they might just tax you even more...

Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The Jag IFS is as close to a bolt in of any OEM unit. It is a bolt in on the F1 (shock towers need fabricating) needs a little modification to fit the F100 (plus aforementioned shock towers). No IRS is a bolt in. There are a couple bolt in MII based IFS but they do not use salvaged parts. If you can't/don't want to fab or weld, just rebuild the beam axle. Put in softer lowering springs, Toyota PS box swap (a bolt in), rebuild the brakes or replace with one of the bolt on disk brake conversions. Finish with a good set of quality shocks and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the ride and handling quality.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who put a Vette rear in his 51, with a 302 and an AOD. But he has a huge shop, races cars, is rich, and has full time help. It can be done, at least in an F1, not sure about a 55 F100.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
anything can be done, but OP wants salvaged and bolt in. That's the rub.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Project-55
Elder User
I'm no slouch at fab work and I'm not lazy, I just hate the idea of hacking away at my frame to splice on another front end.

I have installed TCI mustang II kits and they are pretty sweet but I don't have the budget for those kits, so the next best thing is to find some junk yard dog (ford) that I can plunk into my truck.

The IRS would be nice if I can find one but it's not a high priority item because I do have a really good big axel 9 inch (3.01 ratio) that I have already fabed up a 4 link kit for - just havent welded it up yet because I have been on the road since late June.

From what I have picked up on the forum's here, this is the bolt in (with some fab work) units I have come up with,,,,correct me if any are wrong.

IRS systems
90-98 t-bird
cougar
mustang (cobra being the best)
Mark 8

IFS systems
03-11 crown vic
merc maurader

There is also a thread here about the Lexus IFS system which looks very cool too if I decide to go to the dark side.

Any more that you smart guys can recall? Gary

Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I have picked up on the forum's here, this is the bolt in (with some fab work) units I have come up with,,,,correct me if any are wrong.

IFS systems
03-11 crown vic
merc maurader
Gary, isn't the Merc the same as the Crown Vic? I would consider that myself, but they are too wide for the F1.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
IRS systems
90-98 t-bird
cougar
mustang (cobra being the best)
Mark 8

IFS systems
03-11 crown vic
merc maurader

Not sure where you are getting your info, but none of those are a bolt in unless your definition of bolt in is far different than mine. They all require major cutting, welding and fab work. The CV is extremely wide, look at the next CV police cruiser you see. They use a non standard reverse offset wheel just to get the tires under the fenders.

Your quest is up there right next to a late model frame that fits the 53-56. I'm afraid that if you must stick with FoMoCo parts and bolt in you are going to be looking for a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IFS and IRS options?