Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion vs. Edge ?! Are you kiddin' me?!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Excursion vs. Edge ?! Are you kiddin' me?!

Morning Fellas,

As listed in my signature, my work truck is an Ex and I luv it!

Now my boss thinks I should turn in the Ex and drive a 2011 Edge SEL/AWD.

I've driven the Edge now for two days. To me, driving the Edge is like being in some video game...

The Ex only has 165K miles, and has been a champ for me. NO complaints.

I can't believe the Edge will be even in the same ballpark as the Ex when it comes to driving in 6 to 10"+ snow this winter, trying to haul anything inside is a joke, I don't care that it has a 'class II towing pkg'..... Sure the Edge will burn less fuel, has more airbags and speakers, has Sirius and SYNC voice-activated navigation; but so what?! Toys for the kids who want to 'play with their car'. I still believe the Ex is a safer and more appropriate work truck than this Edge. Sure, the double overhead cam (DOHC),V6 is advertised to have 253 ft-lbs. of torque @ 4000 rpm and285 hp @ 6500 rpm, and is snappy and a fun ride. However, when I look past the sports car fun and look at it being a utilitarian work vehicle, the choice is clear to me.

Maybe not PC, but my first thought about the Edge is: Stance & Presence DOES count on the work site; this is a girly-mans ride!

Talk to me Ex fans, what would YOU do:

a) trade in the Ex for the Edge and not look back;
or,
b) try to convince the boss to keep the Ex in the fleet?

BarnieTrk

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Morning Fellas,

As listed in my signature, my work truck is an Ex and I luv it!

Now my boss thinks I should turn in the Ex and drive a 2011 Edge SEL/AWD.

I've driven the Edge now for two days. To me, driving the Edge is like being in some video game...

The Ex only has 165K miles, and has been a champ for me. NO complaints.

I can't believe the Edge will be even in the same ballpark as the Ex when it comes to driving in 6 to 10"+ snow this winter, trying to haul anything inside is a joke, I don't care that it has a 'class II towing pkg'..... Sure the Edge will burn less fuel, has more airbags and speakers, has Sirius and SYNC voice-activated navigation; but so what?! Toys for the kids who want to 'play with their car'. I still believe the Ex is a safer and more appropriate work truck than this Edge. Sure, the double overhead cam (DOHC),V6 is advertised to have 253 ft-lbs. of torque @ 4000 rpm and285 hp @ 6500 rpm, and is snappy and a fun ride. However, when I look past the sports car fun and look at it being a utilitarian work vehicle, the choice is clear to me.

Maybe not PC, but my first thought about the Edge is: Stance & Presence DOES count on the work site; this is a girly-mans ride!

Talk to me Ex fans, what would YOU do:

a) trade in the Ex for the Edge and not look back;
or,
b) try to convince the boss to keep the Ex in the fleet?

BarnieTrk

What kind of fleet work are you guys doing? Do you require the room and towing capacity? IMHO, as non PC as I am I'd tell him he's an idiot. The price difference he'll be paying in those little match box suv's will be far more than he'd pay for the fuel in the Ex. I bought one that was older with more miles for two reasons, cheap insurance and NO CAR PAYMENT. Like I said, my non PC responce, he's an idiot.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
On second thought, rent a tow trailer, load the Edge to the max with stuff, put it on the trailer, load the Ex full of stuff, and put some more on the trailer. Then drive it to him, show him how much more valuable the Ex is. Seeing that the Ex can pull the little baby SUV full of crap and still carry more than that little thing can might change his mind. Then remind him you'll probably have about 3-4K worth of weight left you can tow. Just a thought

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would convince him to keep it! I would hate to see the shape an edge Would be in after 165,000 miles and 10 Years of winter! Or maybe offer to buy it off of him!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Vehicle cost isn't an issue, as the Ex and the Edge are both paid for. The Edge was being used by one of our sales guys...and now he is gone, so the Edge has been sitting along the fence for about 2 months.

By no means do I max out the towing or hauling capacity of the Ex, but it is nice to not have to worry about it. I have loaded & hauled 800 to 1,000lbs of cargo (steel tooling fixtures) 500 miles, maybe 5 trips/year, which simply wouldn't physically fit into the Edge. The fixtures would need to go another way (someone else/pickup truck would need to deliver them) if the Ex was retired.

During the past 2.5 years, the Ex & I have only made one tow - a broke-down Wrangler on a tandem-axled trailer. I could barely tell the Wrangler/trailer was even behind me.......I'm sure that wouldn't happen with the Edge either.

I typically drive about 35K miles/year, 95+ % are highway. Yep, there would be a markedly difference in fuel usage. The Ex's fuel-o-meter says 17.2mpg. The computer in the Edge (as a result of the previous driver) says, 21.9mpg. I'd bet I could get a little better mileage (24? mpg), as I am a fairly conservative driver compared to most. My estimations tell me my fuel savings to the company would be approximately 2500$/yr.

My typical tools/equipment/cargo could physically could fit into the Edge, but it wouldn't leave any room for anything else.....

I'm no accountant, but I suspect the boss is considering selling either the Edge or the Ex, and is likely thinking he has depreciated out the Ex and would realize more re-sale value from selling the Ex than he would from selling the newer Edge......Does that make sense....?

BarnieTrk

Last edited by BarnieTrk; 08-23-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: correction to mileage traveled
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
I would listen to KDR358 and try to buy it off of him. Or find out how much he wants for it and post it on this site. It'll be gone in a matter of days.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sigskydiver
I would listen to KDR358 and try to buy it off of him. Or find out how much he wants for it and post it on this site. It'll be gone in a matter of days.
One point I didn't reveal earlier is that I drive the Ex (company-owned vehicle) to & from the work sites and to/from our work yard & my home. I can drive it for my own use on the weekends, vacation and such as long as I put the fuel in it when I use it for non-work travel/use.

So, if I can convince the boss "he'd be better served" if I kept driving the Ex, then all would be good. I could still drive a REAL truck, and my ego would not be damaged as it would if I drove that "girly-man jitney" Edge...

BarnieTrk

Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Push it off the Edge and say it rolled off.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hauling stuff in the Ex is a non-issue.
Hauling stuff in the Flex will increase it's wear, and end up
damaging the "pretty and delicate" interior.
What will the Flex be worth after 5 years of hauling?
Compared to what the Ex will be worth in 5 years?

Safety, comfort, capability, etc.

On the other hand, if he decides to keep the Flex - let us KNOW!
Somebody will take that "worn out obsolete and fuel hog" Excursion
off your hands for cheap.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Hauling stuff in the Ex is a non-issue.
Hauling stuff in the Flex will increase it's wear, and end up
damaging the "pretty and delicate" interior.
What will the Flex be worth after 5 years of hauling?
Compared to what the Ex will be worth in 5 years?

Safety, comfort, capability, etc.

On the other hand, if he decides to keep the Flex - let us KNOW!
Somebody will take that "worn out obsolete and fuel hog" Excursion
off your hands for cheap.
It's an Edge, not a Flex....but your points are still valid and well taken.

Thanks to everyone that shared their thoughts/comments regarding my situation.

I think part of the boss' deal is that he'd rather see the '05 Ex parked next to the back fence than seeing the '11 Edge parked next to the back fence.....

My boss is out until next week, so it looks like I won't be able to discuss this issue with him until then. I'll report back here after I've spoken with him again.........

Thanks again, Guys - have a GREAT weekend everyone!

BarnieTrk

Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
A quick note to follow up: I turned in the key to the 'girly-man' Edge and got the key to the Excursion in return!

Although I don't utilize 80% of the capabilities of the Ex every day/week, the boss agreed that the Edge cannot do ANYTHING except move me, my lunch pail & a small equipment/gear box from point A to point B. So rather than have the Ex sitting, the Edge will sit.....which is fine with me! -- Besides, I look better in a 'truck' anyway!
Wishing EVERYONE a great day with their Ex!
BarnieTrk