S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

E4OD help needed/ MASS air 460bb pinout search/ and more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
neil 95 e350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD help needed/ MASS air 460bb pinout search/ and more!

Greetings all! It has been a while since i have posted but it feels great to be here again. The usual poverty has kept me from working on my van, however i have been slowly finding things i need and am about ready to get the van back on the last version road.

here are my dilemmas (i am just putting it all out there. you will understand why once you read it all. well i hope...)

#1 i am doing a mass air conversion to a SD '95 E350 with a 460 & E4OD. i have a 97 F350 4x4 460 engine w/ factory mass air and E4OD. so i have a pcm, front timing cover w/ sensor & crank pulley with 4 pole reluctor, most of the engine harness, a new 104pin pcm connector, the elusive intake y pipe, and have rounded up all the other ness sensors etc. i am looking for the 97 pcm pinout for the 97 F350 computer (i have all of the ford manuals for the 95 and would gladly buy a set for the 97 if i could find'em real cheap)

#2 i have a complete but empty 460 gas E4OD case and the complete innards from a 7.3 diesel E4OD. can the diesel bits be put in the BB case and made to work just fine? (jim @ ats up near sacramento built my current trans in 97, but it is losing a bearing and i can't afford to send it back to him for o/h - i did get 200k+ on his redo). and i understand the need for plates etc for the rebuild. i am asking about the hard parts...

#3 i also have an E4OD w/ convertor from a buddy's wife's 351 powered truck. it has less than 15k mi on it. it got pulled as he is turning it into a desert rig w/ a motor swap. i could strip it for parts but it seems wrong to shred a low mi factory redid that works perfectly... hoping to find someone to do an E4OD o/h for me and take it as payment or something... or at worst sell it & use the money on my tranny.

#4 i also have a spare 97 f350 e4od 4x4 mass air pcm last version 104 pin with no home.

so i am posting this hoping someone(s) can help me find a solution where all parties benefit, my van comes back to life and my wallet doesn't get crushed. i am trying to take care of "family" first so that's why i posted here. i have turned wrenches for a living but the van is the only American ride i own so i never acquired all the tranny tools etc it appears i need to do the o/h correctly.

anyway, sorry for the long post. and thanx for the space to post. apologies for any mistakes - feel free to move this post to a more appropriate forum as you see fit steve.

neil in escondido

Last edited by neil 95 e350; 04-18-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: forgot my siggy content
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 PM
cougarmandan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, someone doing what I am doing. Seams like everything I find on mass air 460 uses a retuned Mustang computer and that's not what I'm doing. I too have a 92 F-250 460 that I am converting over to Mass air. I have the California mass air computer from 97 van. I picked up a couple of different y pipes that might work. Factory wiring harness for the mass air 460 are unobtainable, but I believe that the truck 5.8l/5.0L mass air stuff is wired identical, since I found the autozone diagram that says they are for 96. The 97 computer I have has a 96 part number so theoretically, it should be the same diagram. Here is that link:
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f8021dd65.gif
They have one for the 97, but it cuts off and you only get 3/4 of it. Feel free to look yourself under repair guide:chassis electrical: wiring diagram. It took me a while to figure out the engine wiring diagrams are under chassis electrical.
I wasn't aware of the different balancer with the crank sensor and tone ring so I'll be needing to obtain one so I'll add that to my list. I found a 96 5.0L in a salvage yard and was able to all the harness except the trans harness. I didn't get the balancer, but I got all the sensors off it if. I haven't dug into if it was a AODE (4R70W) or a E4OD yet and if it makes any difference in the underhood harness. I found that he Lincoln Continental and a lot of the 4.6L/5.4L Trucks has the same mass air meter so I finding one was simple. I read that its a 80mm. Do you have any pics of the timing cover and balancer you could send me? I have lots of wiring diagrams that I have downloaded from the internet as well as some Ford EVTM for 95 which I hope compare to the 96 soon. I have some cd's that I need to see if they have diagrams on them. Keep me posted on your progress