Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
depending on the miles on the chain. it will typically start running rougher before it jumps. Might be worth checking the deflection in it. The old chain sets were really only good for about 100K. I can't remember if that has the nylon toothed upper gear or not, I think it does though.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyman
depending on the miles on the chain. it will typically start running rougher before it jumps. Might be worth checking the deflection in it. The old chain sets were really only good for about 100K. I can't remember if that has the nylon toothed upper gear or not, I think it does though.
Odometer reads 67k, which is probably 167k, cheap enough just to replace and move on to the next thing.

Based on my experience observing how lazy humans are, especially with preventative maintenance is probably the original.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Got the old girl started today, battery terminal had so much sugar built up on it I couldn't see the bolts. Once cleaned and charged for an hour it started right up, ran rough but started. Timing is definitely off.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After my Pinion fiasco, the drive line is in and working. I've been driving it regularly with a bit of highway driving and it seems to be holding fine. I had to return the drive shaft, I have to have a 1330 to 1310 conversion joint with a 1310 CV joint to mount to my transfer case... one more bump in the road. But, its all back together, and the heater works.

It has been running rough after the rug of war with nature. My carb is pretty beat up so I'm betting a rebuild/replacement will do wonders. I've said in the past that I want to keep the Carter for its history but it may be easier to just bite the bullet on a newer carb.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I leaned on my Bronco yesterday, poor thing needs a bath terribly. Maybe have to buy a cover for next year.....

Old 12-04-2015, 02:02 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Finally got word on the transmission in my Bronco..............it's not worth messing with. Absolutely will not shift. Tried another solenoid pack and the "black box" and nothing. He says something has to broke inside.
Trying to decide what to go with. Ford reman.....Monster........or something else. Jasper maybe?????

Old 12-05-2015, 12:12 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Maybe a rebuild with upgrades? Shift kit, stronger guts...

For my 78, not much. Topped off the power steering fluid, I have a small leak. However I haven't dealt with it. Also, I had purchased a Marti Report a while back, it tells me all there is to know about my Bronco when it rolled off the assembly line. Now that I have an official paint code and name, I just ordered a 1/2 oz touch up bottle to see what it looks like. How close the current paint is. Eventually I may order a few spray cans for various custom parts

Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bolted up the hitch receiver finally. it was just hanging there by two bolts before and would bend if you pulled on it. Got it secured and had some sunlight left so i went in the backyard and yanked a 1x3x3 hunk of solid concrete out of a ditch. Pleased with the hitch and how the Bronc had no problem holding traction in the process.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Picked up a brand new set of Headman headers complete with collectors, gaskets, and bolts, a used but perfect Edelbrock Performer 400, and a set of 351C 4V closed chamber heads.... All for $200.

One of the heads is rusted pretty good on half of it, but I'm pretty sure it's just surface rust. I have it soaked in PB Blaster right now. For the price I was willing to take a chance.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Omega Man
Senior User
125 psi in every cylinder........ except number two, which had zero. I think that's probably not a good thing.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:38 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Found an annoying new rattle ... the drivers taillight assembly rattles with the radio cranked up. Thought it was just the outer cover but it's the assembly or something inside rattling around. Too dark to fiddle with it and work followed by a "your presence will be missed by the owner" last minute invitation to the company holiday party that I tried to get out of last week will prevent me from looking at it tomorrow like I want to

Old 12-06-2015, 04:21 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP
Picked up a brand new set of Headman headers complete with collectors, gaskets, and bolts, a used but perfect Edelbrock Performer 400, and a set of 351C 4V closed chamber heads.... All for $200.

One of the heads is rusted pretty good on half of it, but I'm pretty sure it's just surface rust. I have it soaked in PB Blaster right now. For the price I was willing to take a chance.
Those headers, do they fit the 351m/400 motors as well? After a rebuild I'll be on the market for headers but these Bronco/engine combos they don't allow normal long tubes with the space. My only choose so far has been fender exits. I've heard shorties would work as well but I've also heard they won't.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:56 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thos 4 bbl closed chamber heads are nice. For a car you will be running in the upper rpm range. Not real good for a low rpm truck engine.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Thos 4 bbl closed chamber heads are nice. For a car you will be running in the upper rpm range. Not real good for a low rpm truck engine.
While I was planning out a motor rebuild, I found a place that has aluminum Aussie heads for the C block. I was excited and thought it would be a great idea for my 351 when it gets built. Then I read up on the low torque stuff and figured it wouldn't really help me much. I'm not looking for high rpm applications.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:45 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't do anything fun to her today, but I did have two brake lines blow out and had to change them. Next up is a new rear window motor and then drivers side ball joints and 4 new tires.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?