Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing recently. I'll be continuing my LED work today. I ordered green LEDs to go under my dash and I plan to tie them into the Marker lights so they are on when those are. I'm also going to replace the door jamb switches so that my dome light comes on when the door is open

Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed a Smittybilt Winch, and 4 inch LED lights, now I just need to fab up the skid plate

Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 PM
93SVT
New User
Bought one

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 93SVT
Bought one
THIS POST IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICTURES!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Finished fabbing up the skidplate

Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 AM
93SVT
New User

She ain't nothing special but she is rust free

Old 08-02-2015, 04:39 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Today I buttoned up another part of the LED conversion. The dome light. Originally it was simple, replace the bulb, put my new cover on and be done. But, then I got curious, my door switches have never worked and I wasn't sure why. So I decided to replace them. I replaced the driver side and the dome light works fine! The passenger side, I had a pin break in the small plug coming from the dash. Turns out BWD charges $40 for these. Yes, $40 smackaroons. Ridiculous! So, I checked online... What the heck!

All this plug is, is a small plastic plug with spots for 3 prongs. 3 wires. Mine uses 2. And they charge that much!!!

So, I got smart, I went to my local junkyard and snagged 6 of these things. Brought 2 up to purchase and the guy gave them to me for free! 6 of these $30-40 plugs for free...

Here is the old and new switch. They look like they are as old as the truck..

So, today I went ahead and cut off the old FUBAR plug and connected the new one. Threw some heat shrink tube on it and stuffed it back where it came from. Plug in the switch and whala! My passenger door switch works.

Old one had no cover. I kept the bulb as a spare.

New LED bulb, new OEM cover and all is well. Although, I feel like a clear cover would be better, this setup gives a lot more light than I expected when its darker.

On top of that, I ordered a 1 foot strip of Green LEDs. I plan to stick them under my dash and wire them to the side marker lights. When I hit the switch for those, I will have green floor lights

Another note, on Tuesday, I went to check my oil and my dipstick tube fell out.. It was really weird and I laughed for a solid minute. I couldn't believe it.

I drove it home after work and didnt lose any oil, tightened it down good and tight, then figured out why I didn't lose oil. It wasn't even showing on the dipstick. Too about 2 quarts or so.

I'm also talking with a guy about converting to an earlier front clip like this.

I really like the look, and I also want that type of "Pre-Runner" style bumper. Either that or I get the parts for my current one and start blacking stuff out...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Found out I have another coolant leak ..... somewhere

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm now fighting with my wife to keep my Bronco. She is getting upset that it has been building for almost 4 years now and it's still not on the road. She is also realizing that she will not be comfortable driving the Bronco. She wants me to sell it and buy a newer (97 or newer) Jeep that we can build "as a family." I asked if she wanted to help build the Bronco and she said no, she just wants a Jeep since its smaller and she thinks she'll be more comfortable driving that. I tried the argument for a Jeep with a 5 speed and 37" tires and that hasn't discouraged her. I told her I have to complete most of the Bronco to sell it and at that point why would I sell it and am getting no traction with that argument either.
I have owned a Jeep in the past, a 1986 CJ-7 with the 258ci 6cyl and a 5 speed. It was the vehicle I sold my first Bronco for and it took all of a month to want the Bronco back. It took 4 years after that to get another Bronco that I kept for 3 years before life forced another sale. My current Bronco was acquired 9 years later and has been a project for almost 4 years. I agree with her frustration of it not being in driving condition but I'm not ready to give up.

Any suggestions from the married guys out there? I don't want to go thru the heartbreak of losing my Bronco again.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:10 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Buy her a cheap Jeep or trade off the Excursion.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:08 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Whose name is the bronco currently in? If its yours, there you go. If she wants a Jeep, there are plenty to pick from on CL. No reason to drop the bronco.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
Buy her a cheap Jeep or trade off the Excursion.
I don't want to get rid of the Excursion because it is our long trip vehicle and it pulls the 25' camper and 20' car trailer.

Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Whose name is the bronco currently in? If its yours, there you go. If she wants a Jeep, there are plenty to pick from on CL. No reason to drop the bronco.
Spoken like a true single guy Dylan, lol. She doesn't want a Jeep for her, she wants it to be a project for the whole family.

I think I'm going to try and clean some space around the Bronco in the garage this week and work on it and see how much I can get done.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hehe true it is my friend. Is there an issue having 2 projects for the family? Make it race :P get the jeep to the same place as the bronco as far as amount of work, then split up in teams and race to finish their vehicle.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM
78iron
New User
I bolted on a saginaw pump.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guy's the pass door window in my 85 blew out
the other day. Electric and jumped the track opening
day. I had thought some hunter had shot it out
until my co pilot said he was just trying to put it up.

So my question is what years will interchange with
the 85 with wing/vent window. I am thinking any
1980 to whenever Ford pulled the vent window.
But not sure when that was. And The counter jock
at Napa said an 80 wont fit. True or false? IDK but
this is my DD and I need to get it replaced ASAP.
I cant afford a new one or to have whatever installed.
The boys and I will need to do it all. It's been 30 years
I have since I have done this and I am handicapped
to boot. But the boys will help. Anything in the way of
pointers to help us along would be great.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?