1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled the driveshaft and took it to local shop. He said CV was nice and tight....he said if it ain't broke....don't fix it. Had him put some greasable U-joints on each end and grease the slip yoke. Drivetrain "bump" problem fixed!! Installed a new belt tensioner...hopefully to get rid of the chirp, chirp, chirp under the hood. So far, so good! We'll see what happens. Still have to do the steering gear. The more I run it around the neighborhood, the less it leaks!! I keep getting sidetracked on other small projects when I save a little $$$. Ordered some color samples from Marathon Seat Covers. I surely don't have the $$ to replace the leather!!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, yesterday I took the hood the rest of the way off and hung it from the ceiling in the garage so I could have easier access to everything in the engine bay. Too bad it all went downhill from there.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I took off the POS spare tirecarrier.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey I like the spare tire carrier!

Anyways I "finished" installing a keyless entry system on my Bronco! Went from having no power windows/locks to now almost all power options! I'm getting fancy. I need to figure out why I can't get my rear window to roll down though with the remote for my keyless... I think the extra relay I bought is bad.. I'll find out tomorrow!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Tuesday I hung the hood from the ceiling in the garage so I could work on mounting the clutch master cylinder. I got the master all bolted down, bled the line, climbed in the driver seat and pushed the pedal down. Very hard pedal! I slowly pushed it again and about half way down it got really easy and fell to the floor. I looked down and realized that I snapped the pushrod in half. Guess I need to redesign the clutch setup again.
On the plus side, the 2 9/16" socket that I ordered to take the rear axle retaining nut off arrived today so I may get to take it apart tomorrow.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
One step forward 2 steps back huh Zirb?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
One step forward 2 steps back huh Zirb?
I'm trying to be positive, "three steps forward, two steps back." But it's all progress as I learn what I can and can't do.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 PM
96red4.9
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Hey I like the spare tire carrier!

Anyways I "finished" installing a keyless entry system on my Bronco! Went from having no power windows/locks to now almost all power options! I'm getting fancy. I need to figure out why I can't get my rear window to roll down though with the remote for my keyless... I think the extra relay I bought is bad.. I'll find out tomorrow!

What did you use to add keyless entry to yours, as I would like to do the same to my 93. I would like to use a factory style remote. Did you use this as well? Also, was it you that added the overhead console to your Bronco? If so, what process did you take to make all the electrical connections and mounting of the console itself? I bought one to put in mine awhile back and have not put it in yet and I also need a pair of tan rear interior quarter trim out of a 94 up because i also bought a factory cargo cover I'd like to install as well!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM
96red4.9
Junior User
Technically not "today" but over the last week or two I have waxed the bronco, replaced the factory 204,000 mile shocks with new Monroe Sensa-trac shocks, new Pioneer cd player with Ipod input and new pioneer speakers front and back, and installed a new set of headlight to replace to old faded yellow ones!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
96Red, this is Bubba's XLT thread. It shows how he did a lot of things.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ation-xlt.html

Towards the end he mentions that he will so a small write up for the keyless stuff.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM
88rustyred
Senior User
I'm in the middle of changing pads, rotors, and repacking wheel bearings. Got right side done, gonna start on left side early tomorrow morning. Forgot, replacing brake lines, too.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Had Pep Boys do a tune up on it, including wires, rotor and cap. Also had them replace the fuel filter, oil and oil filter, ad put in a new air filter (free). And while waiting for them to complete that, I bought a red top Optima batter since the current battery was taking longer to start the truck.

Of course, the only upgrade you can see is the battery.

Jim

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
How much was the bill for them to do all off that?

Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
$511. Was $499 until I had them add the battery, while in there, I spent $601 on parts. So total came to $1,112, however, it needed the electric window lifts, and I bought something to get rid of the dull finish on the headlight, along with coolant, and Redline's Water wetter. Also picked up the largest Hayden Trans cooler they had.The only thing that wasn't truck specific was a cordless drill and set of drill bits, which I needed since all my electrical tools were ruined about 3-4 moves ago. I want to start a car flipping business, so I want the Bronco up to code and ready to haul a car or two. Next month I plan on getting a Class IV hitch installed, and I have been told the front end needs bushings, as it is starting to cup the tires, so I will have that done when I get the Rancho shocks installed.

Jim

Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
I spent 15 minutes working on the Bronco and got the entire driver side brake assembly torn off in preparation for the rear disc swap. found out the axle seal was leaking so I have to fix that now too, but on the plus side it meant all of the hardware came off easily.
Before:

After:

Oh yeah, my Bronco has a swapped in Dana 60 rear so I'm dealing with a full floater setup, not the 9 inch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?