What did you do to the Bronco Today? - Page 220 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Senior User

MonroeHandyMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
After work, we pulled the upper intake plenum off my 90 Bronco XLT Plow truck, unbolted the engine and lifted it halfway up to make room to pull the rusted oil pan which was leaking bad even after we had it welded. We got it out, and cleaned the oil pickup tube out good, put the new pan in place, we will finish it off tomorrow hopefully. I took the opportunity to clean out the throttle body, IAC, change out the TPS since its on the bottom and hard to get to and plus the truck dies out at cold starts here and there and idles high, so maybe this will help. I painted the plenum and throttle body as well.

Side Note:
We tried the JB weld on the oil pan, we tried the Permatex Grey Right Stuff with the Shop Vac trick we saw on Youtube on the oil fill so no oil drips out of the pan during preparation and this is the worst thing you can do. First off, it will fail, if not immediately, very quickly and the worst part about it was, when I pulled the oil pan, there was so much Permatex stuck in the oil pick up screen which got sucked in somehow. DONT DO THIS! Take the time and do it right. It probably took us all of 2 hours to pull the upper plenum, disconnect what we needed and get the pan out with some patience. We might need another 2 hours to put it everything back in place tomorrow, but then thats it, its done. Do it right one time and be done!

On my 96 Bronco XLT 5.0 I changed out the Purge canister solenoid thinking this would shut off my C/E light and replaced the gas cap. Light came right back on after maybe 5 miles of driving...
Attached Images