Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the 96 detailed today. Anniversary is tomorrow, so had to get it cleaned up to take the wife out.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Good job mr az pete.. how much though???
nj is gonna be underwater within hours

Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Keep us updated Dylan, That thing looks insane!
Will do, i might end up just posting the stuff in my TGM thread since the truck isn't a bronco When i talked to them earlier, they said after the motor gets finished they are going to look at painting the cab and bed then re-assemble everything.
Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco
who ever is on the east coast stay safe.!!

Dylan, that rear end doesnt look like a dana 60 to me.. looks like a 44..
get some close up shots.
I can get closer pics some time, i don't know for sure what axles they used. They still have to get more parts and drivelines built.

Originally Posted by AzPete
......sold my '93 today..... .......but must have vehicles the wife can get in and out without pain so the '00 F250 Lariat 4X4 diesel will have to keep me happy.
That sucks, losing another bronco. But you have to do what you have to do.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Finally got the new MOOG tie rod installed tonight, the one from the pitman arm to the passenger side. It cost me around $147. Still limping the M5 trans, got another 50 miles out of it today. 3rd gear is worthless, no longer stays in, and now 4th gear is going out, or not! The shift fork must be about worn completely out because I have to wiggle it just right to shift out of 4th. It may come down to pulling the tunnel cover to put another set of shift rails on it. A buddy of mine found a 2wd ZF for $150, how bad is it to convert to 4wd output if we can find the busted 4wd trans I let go last year?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco
Good job mr az pete.. how much though???
I let it go for $3000. Listed it at $3500 and just got tired of selling things. I broke even on it from buying, repairs, and use (10,000 miles in a year) so I feel ok about it.

It was a 93 EB, 5.0, 111,500 miles, new rotors and pads, front d/s u-joints, heater core, mirrors, headlight housings, alt., batt., belt. Ran great, needed EGR valve and front ABS sensors.

I did not really want to sell it but we need to stay at two vehicles....and the '11 Mustang GT/CS 5.0 is staying in the family for a while.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Got TGM's tires rotated and balanced, they were all about 1 ounce or less off. I also posted more pictures of my neighbors project on my thread. Encho is sure the axles are both D60's

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Welp, this is what I did...had to have it towed home. I think it threw a rod...Its something in the lower end. I just got done filling it at the gas station. I checked my oil, it was a little low...The dipstick doesnt fit snug in the block anymore. So it seeps from there. Added a little bit, only 2 miles from home. I figured it would also be a good time to recheck/re-adjust the timing. It developed a hesitation off-idle.
So I went to the empty side of the parking lot, loosened up the hold-down bolt for the dizzy, motor was at operating temp(180*F) Unhooked the vac advance and started it back up. As I was adjusting, I'd rev up the motor to see how it responded...I dont think it went over 4500rpm. I thought I had it where I wanted it, hit the throttle once more, and all of a sudden. A loud Bang and she started knocking...very metallicky sounding, I jumped off the truck and ran around to shut it off. But it stopped on its own by the time I reached the key. I seen it still had good oil pressure before I turned it off. Nothing leaking, nothing looked out of place. Started it up real quick and its knocking bad, but still showing 20-24psi at warm idle. Had about 100miles on this go around.

Im beyond mad at this point. Ive spent all this money on it and Ive have had nothing but trouble with it. It never gave any warning signs. motor was smooth and quiet as a church mouse. I was babying it the past couple days since I was DDing it. Trying to gauge what is was getting for mpgs. Im not sure what Im going to at this point.

Last edited by Boss351Bronco88; 10-31-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling, grammatical errors.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Boss351Bronco88
Welp, this is what I did...had to have it towed home. I think it threw a rod...Its something in the lower end. I just got done filling it at the gas station. I checked my oil, it was a little low...The dipstick doesnt fit snug in the block anymore. So it seeps from there. Added a little bit, only 2 miles from home. I figured it would also be a good time to recheck/re-adjust the timing. It developed a hesitation off-idle.
So I went to the empty side of the parking lot, loosened up the hold-down bolt for the dizzy, motor was at operating temp(180*F) Unhooked the vac advance and started it back up. As I was adjusting, I'd rev up the motor to see how it responded...I dont think it went over 4500rpm. I thought I had it where I wanted it, hit the throttle once more, and all of a sudden. A loud Bang and she started knocking...very metallicky sounding, I jumped off the truck and ran around to shut it off. But it stopped on its own by the time I reached the key. I seen it still had good oil pressure before I turned it off. Nothing leaking, nothing looked out of place. Started it up real quick and its knocking bad, but still showing 20-24psi at warm idle. Had about 100miles on this go around.

Im beyond mad at this point. Ive spent all this money on it and Ive have had nothing but trouble with it. It never gave any warning signs. motor was smooth and quiet as a church mouse. I was babying it the past couple days since I was DDing it. Trying to gauge what is was getting for mpgs. Im not sure what Im going to at this point.
Holy s**t man, I'm sorry to hear that. Damn that really sucks. is there a warranty or something for the motor to have it fixed or will it be out of your pocket?

in other news, my bronco has developed quite a loud thump as I push the gas to drive, it seems like the drive line so tomorrow (hopefully) I will get under there and check it out, maybe grease the u joints. the weird thing is it only does it under a load... one thing after another.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
Dylan yours sounds like u joints and or the axle perches may be rounding.

Sorry to hear about the truck Boss. Did you unhook the spout connector? You need that unhooked to make any timing changes.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Haha Brett guess what... It was the 4 12 point bolts on the t-case side all 4 were loose... The drive line was wiggly and binding up as it turned... Unfortunately there is only 1 u joint i can grease, the other ones i can't get to cause i probably screwed up or something when i did them . I am happy it was just that and not something worse. It's a good thing i decided to look at it or they could have broke.

Barely fits in the garage door.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear that boss..

Dylan, that was a good move.. if you didn't do it.. maybe anew driveline? Lol

Wooo man.. its hecktik down here with all the trees and dwn powerlines..
Had 3 ft ofwater in my restaurant.. sheetrock destroyed... eh no ones hurt..
Its all good..
96 351 has a bypass pulley for smog pump.. the bearings were destroyed in it...
Bought new one with bearings.. for $10 at rockauto.. and $10 for spark plug ires..
Luckally my trucks weren't underwater except my 63 f100.. had water in the cab.. but no interior.. or body damage so it doesn't bother me..
Still no power in my house.. haven't had it since monday

Old 10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah a new driveline would not have been good.

Sorry to hear your in the storm, stay safe man.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Thanks yall...Yea went up to the shop to talk with the owners. Brought a buddy to help me keep my temper in check. Basically I explained how mad I am, how dissapointed I am in their work so far, how this not only makes them look bad, but myself as well. I have people who rely on me for help on their cars. And when they see that I cant keep my Bronco running with all the money Im spending. Well, they second guess me and my abilities. It's not like Im getting anything out of it breaking on me.
They were upset and very apoligetic...promised me that they would rectify it as soon as I get the motor back to them. I appricaite the fact that they are honoring the work that they've done. but obviously this should not be happening. I dont think they would have managed to stay in business for almost 40 years if their work was shoddy. So fingers crossed that next time I around everything will be good and last.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Once can only hope, i'm sure you aren't the only one with their fingers crossed. Maybe they should throw in something for free as well, not just parts and labor but like, a t-shirt or something.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Yea they should warranty there work..
I had damn cylinder head off on my 63 f100...
Water was in the oil pan... ****

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?