Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fixed a flat tire. An drove her to town for the first time in like two months.
I knew I missed her but you have no idea. The Honda Civic is
cheap and dependable. But it ain't no Bronk. She beat me up pretty
bad. But it was a good hurt. Ya maybe I could have slowed down on
the dirt road. But she was wanting to unwind. Who am I to tell her no.
now to get the exhaust fixed and two studded tires before the snow fly's
in a month or so. Oil change and pump some grease. We be good till
spring.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to find a friend with a floor style trans jack....no dice. Going down to Northern tool and get their $50 trans jack head for a floor jack that I'll probably use ONE time!! Got the torque convertor installed on the flywheel. I may take it back off and put it in the tranny when I install it. Dang....that E4OD is heavy! I've read the "shipping weight" is 325 pounds!

Anyway, I've not been in a hurry....my youngest son is fixing to go into the Marines, so we've been spending time together. Yup....gonna be a Marine Daddy!!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMatt65
Trying to find a friend with a floor style trans jack....no dice. Going down to Northern tool and get their $50 trans jack head for a floor jack that I'll probably use ONE time!! Got the torque convertor installed on the flywheel. I may take it back off and put it in the tranny when I install it. Dang....that E4OD is heavy! I've read the "shipping weight" is 325 pounds!

Anyway, I've not been in a hurry....my youngest son is fixing to go into the Marines, so we've been spending time together. Yup....gonna be a Marine Daddy!!
You cannot bolt a torque converter to the flexplate and then bolt the transmission up after. You must get it seated properly on the transmission first. (This involves sliding the torque converter onto the shaft, and then turning the torque converter while putting pressure on it with your hand. You'll feel it click into place a couple of times. Once it's fully seated, you can install the trasmission and bolt the torque converter to the flexplate after.)
You will destroy the pump on the transmission if the torque converter is not seated properly!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Ya know....after I had written that post, I thought to myself, that's the way your supposed to do it! I definitely don't want to do any damage to this trans. It's a low mile rebuild out of a wrecked Bronco, so I'm hoping it's gonna be ok!

Been going to the docs here lately and I've been medicated!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I was more or less trying to elaborate the weight of that trans! Thanks for the reminder!!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I got a scissor style Trans jack. You use a 1/2" Rachet to raise or lower it. The weight of an OEM C-6 and a cast iron transfer case definitely tested the jack. It was wobbly and we had to use a floor jack on the transfer case. It fell off on the way down .

Then after the rebuild, I had to lift the transmission by hand so my brother could slip the jack under it. Then the same with the transfer case. That was a pain.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:24 AM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Installed new brake master, it's nice to be able to step on the pedal and have it work the first try. Been hauling pallets on the 24ft trailer. I'll post pics later.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
All the new found pressure from the new master cylinder found a weak spot in the front passenger brake line. Replaced both lines from splitter to wheel cylinders.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 PM
BroncoBilt
Junior User
well TODAY I fixed the torsion bar in the tailgate. the brackets had moved and the torsion bar was hanging down in the way of the rear window.

Over the last month, right after I bought the 95 Bronco from this old smoker former DEA spook, I have:
1. pulled out all the interior plastics and washed them both sides.
2. stripped the cab floor and bed to shiny metal, premiered it, then painted it (roller) with bed-liner
3. installed all-new RF speakers. All the speaker wiring was busted so I had to run new lines.
4. took off the rear tire mount and had it sandblasted. out of the 10 or so bolts holding the rear tire carrier on, 4 of the bolts shattered from rust. I got 2 of them drilled out so far.
5. When I was taking out the rear seat, all 4 seat bolts shattered. I drilled all 4 of them out with cobalt drill bits. it was shattering and/or dulling my black oxide bits.
6. pulled out all of the front suspension. am replacing wheel bearings, spindle bearings, axle u-joints, axle seals, tie rod ends, pitman arm, ball joints. All of that is already done.
7. the front differential is in the shop, getting new bearings and seals, it was leaking something awful.
8. putting in an alarm system.
9. replaced all the window weatherstripping. All of it.
10. replaced the window seals, they were all cracked and partially torn off. The fuzzy things that slide against the window.
11. put FatMat on the doors and floor of the cab, to keep noise down.
12. Threw out all the old moldy carpet. Made new carpet with stuff from Home Depot. Used a very heavy duty glue gun to make curves!
13. stripped the fiberglass roof and rolled it with bedliner. Looks good!
14. wet-vacced the roof liners, and got all the cigarette smoke out of it.
15. replaced all the door and ignition locks. they were all stripped.
16. Fixed the rear defroster. the wires were all corroded.
17. Fixed the rear window glass going up and down. the dash switch was corroded.
18. Took off the front bumper, it needs sanding and repainting.
19. Fabricated some brackets for the front grill guard I bought off Craigslist. Used my work's plasma cutter and MIG welder to make the brackets, then used the sandblaster to prep them for painting.
20. sand-blasted the front grill guard and sprayed it about 8 times for a nice thick coating.
21. bought a nice rota-light bar, and bought 4 very nice LED lights for the top of it.
22. Bought 2 lights for the bumper grill guard. haven't put them on yet.
23. the door switches had been glued to the door panels! I cracked off the glue and fabricated some metal brackets and glued them inside the door panels w/ fiberglass glue. Then ground them out with a dremel until they were just the right size. now the door switches (window, locks) screw into the metal brackets. Nicer.
24. put in a big rear subwoofer, amp, etc.
25. repaired the tailgate torsion bar and brackets.

*sigh*.. and all of this is for my STEP-SON's CAR. I bought it for him. He's been doing some of the work on it, but honestly doesn't have the arm strength to do most of the work on it. It's funny watching the look on his face as I dismantled his car piece by piece.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
He is a very lucky kid! If you want one for yourself I have an '87 I'll sell. It runs and drives, barely.

I used my '78 to haul 2 loads of firewood this weekend and fixed the dim headlight problem. Trim ring broke when reinstalling it so had to borrow one from my '76. The ground wire was not making a good connection to the light.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Hmmm I thought an anti-theft device was standard on all 92-96 Broncos. So where's the pics of this light bar, grille guard, and lights?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Some how wife got the rear window to go up. Needed it down to load some tires so I took the key switch out and gutted the tumblers so the ignition key would work in it. Window now works fine at the t-gate, still not working at the dash.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM
MUDBUCKET
Senior User
Found a guy on Craigslist to come to my house and put the Free Wheeling graphics on the Bronco, I can't believe I even considered leaving it black.
The pictures don't even do justice, and I couldn't back up far enough either.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:30 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
WOW! Those graphics are beautiful. Someday I want to repaint the '78, back to the silver/blue it was originally. If I could only find some pics of an original '78 paint job.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Quiet here? What happen to the picture of everyones Broncos thread?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
The one I made?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?