Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey man, The best guy to handle all your repairs is Brian Myers. His number is 812-834-6758. Just 10 miles east of Bedford--you won't find anyone more knowledgeable and his prices are the best!!

Originally Posted by soundman502
It took a lot of cranking and priming on the fuel system, but it's alive again. Now to find someone local and cheap to install my spring packs for the back. I have 1.5 leaves per side left. She bounces, a little...

Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a hose clamp on a hose

Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
I drove mine today after letting it sit for two weeks while I drove the new to me, Jaguar XJ6. Also ordered a billet grille, and new headlights, and side marker lights for it from LMC. Will install them when they get here, but the headlights are on back order. Don't know when they will arrive. Of course, I can always install the billet grille without them. Was going to install new windshield wipers, but I left my tools in the Dooley. Did get the windows of the Bronco clean with glass cleaner though, does that count?

Jim

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
All I did was drive the old gal over to drop some clothes off at a friends house for his kids. I also thought about my paychecks and how nice it would be to save a few grand and just purchase a crate motor to drop in instead of rebuilding this one.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
All I did was drive the old gal over to drop some clothes off at a friends house for his kids. I also thought about my paychecks and how nice it would be to save a few grand and just purchase a crate motor to drop in instead of rebuilding this one.
Put in a 460....

Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Put in a 460....
I've thought about it. I mean, might as well. It's soon going to be more of a toy than a daily driver. Might as well get stupid with it.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Parked it..............

Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its alive!!!!

Hey guys...so probably many of you dont remember me since I havent been on in a LONG time! I put my 1986 XLT away for the past 2.5 years due to many reasons.

Well I hav ebeen missing it ALOT lately, so pushed it out of storage a few weeks ago with the goal of getting it back on the road. So what have a done to it?

1) Finally bought a code reader and pulled all codes...for $31 I LOVE this thing!
2) Bought EVP Sensor and new O2 sensor...installed
3) Bought some new Edelbrock Valve Covers and Felpro Perma gaskets
4) Rerouting and cleaning up my air intake
5) Ohhhh and changed the oil
6) Bought new water pump gaskets
7) Forgot...new battery installed and new cables.

After all of that is done, I will see if my oil leaking issue is fixed...if not Ill be taking a closer look at the Rear Main. I also plan on cleaning up all of the electrical inside, taking my push bar down to bare metal and repainting and other odds and ends. Here is a pic as it sits:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A few years back I helped my son put a new 400 crate motor in his 79 bronco, installed headers, edlebrock intake w/4b carb, MSD and that thing really screams...IIRC it was a Jasper motor. But, like Manfred said why not just go with the 460 if you can find one? My son wanted a 460 but at the time we couldn't find one and after waiting/looking for a couple of months, he decided to just go with a new crate motor. He has been very happy with it tho!!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
Well done CJE. she looks great

Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Dylan you will get the same mileage or more with the 460 as yer 351m. There really isn't much to the 351. Yes there has been some folks who made them a beast but by the time u spend money on it...you could've already had a 460 built up which had more HP/torque. Plus its a bigger cubic engine motor.

You could find an EFI 460 and get the computer and trans and modernize your bronco!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
The 460's I put in the Broncos and F150 I had all got better mileage than the 351M did. (Except for my 514). I had one that was pretty much stock (460) and I believe even that one got better mileage too. Remember, the 460 doesn't have to work as hard and the primaries in a 4 barrel are USUALLY smaller than in a 2 barrel. With a good 4 barrel, dual plane manifold, good exhaust and some hotter ignition, you can't go wrong! Even with a low/midrange cam I'd put money on it (if I was a betting man)!! It's when you put your foot in it to hear that new exhaust......that's when you suck some gas!
I know the 351M's have always been kind of "piggish" on fuel economy, but I almost think that if you put a 4 barrel and nice intake/exhaust on one, you might see an improvement in MPG. But then, would you want to put that on a 351M, or a 460??? Yup.........460!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
CJE that looks pretty cool. Are you planning to paint the push bar black again?

Originally Posted by scott79
A few years back I helped my son put a new 400 crate motor in his 79 bronco, installed headers, edlebrock intake w/4b carb, MSD and that thing really screams...IIRC it was a Jasper motor. But, like Manfred said why not just go with the 460 if you can find one? My son wanted a 460 but at the time we couldn't find one and after waiting/looking for a couple of months, he decided to just go with a new crate motor. He has been very happy with it tho!!
I'd love a crate motor that's been bored out. No just a 460 but maybe something bigger. Ported polished, the whole shebang. I wouldn't mind a 400 since I like the dry heads and intake but I also wouldn't mind a 460. My one concern at the moment is if I did swap in a 460 did I waste $200+ on a set of hooker headers? Or will they swap onto a 460 too.

Sent from my HTC One S using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
CJE that looks pretty cool. Are you planning to paint the push bar black again?

I'd love a crate motor that's been bored out. No just a 460 but maybe something bigger. Ported polished, the whole shebang. I wouldn't mind a 400 since I like the dry heads and intake but I also wouldn't mind a 460. My one concern at the moment is if I did swap in a 460 did I waste $200+ on a set of hooker headers? Or will they swap onto a 460 too.

Sent from my HTC One S using IB AutoGroup

They won't swap on. You might can some how mod them or sell them.

Seriously, don't waste time of the 351M/400...go BIG or go home.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
They won't swap on. You might can some how mod them or sell them.

Seriously, don't waste time of the 351M/400...go BIG or go home.
Yeah I kind of figured. Which sucks cause I'll have to get new headers again. But for now I'll put these on and int he future if I do swap in a crate motor, I'll sell them with the 351 or something. Well anyways, it's all a dream for now. Someday things will start moving. For now, my biggest concern should be my failing brakes. I learned that after driving around and braking hard, they don't hold so well when they get hot. On the flip side to that, I think I could just about drive a loaded Semi truck fine .

A Norwegian friend of mine who is visiting next month has been telling me to wait till he gets there to replace my rear line. He is bringing a double flare tool and a tube bender (we already have 2, I didn't ask) and he really wants me just to make a new one rather than buy a full stainless kit from LMC or JBG. I can't do either financially but I'm starting to think it would be better just to purchase the full kit and be done with it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?