Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could get a new sensor but it's never worked since I got it. Reason being is this.

The plug is done for. I don't know if a new sender would come with a plug or not.

As for getting a new one, I can get a new one for about as cheap as $80 if I'm lucky. The JBG one is JUST a Prop valve, Mine is a combo valve of prop and metering.

Here is the one I saw.
1976-86 Ford Bronco Disc/Drum Brake Proportion Valve w/ Pigtail Wire Carolina Classic Trucks 1978-86 Ford Bronco-prop-valve

I could buy separate valves and instal them in line but that might cost more. If I could buy a brake warning sensor and the right plug for it, then I would consider that if it was cheap enough.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 1 I saw on J.B.G. was the new prop valve w/sending unit attached and came with a pigtail to wire into your harness but it was for early bronco. They do have the sending unit though for $26. Can probably find it on rockauto cheaper. Maybe even the whole valve and sending unit.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
E-bay has them for $59.95 plus $7.95 shipping, comes wiht pigtail to wire into your harness

Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So I haven't found the sensor anywhere. The places that list them say they don't fit. I'll have to pull it eventually and take it to a sore to get a match, maybe another year/model will fit. As for a whole setup, as mentioned, I need the combination valve. I'd rather get this one to stop leaking than spend excessive amounts of money I don't have on a whole new one.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Is your life worth $68? How about the people on the road with you? You can cheap out on stereo equip or the brand of oil you use but dont frig around with your brakes. It aint no good if it dont stop at least as well as it goes.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I'm assuming this is for the 78 listed in your sig? I'm going to one of the wrecking yards after class tomorrow (saw it had a 9x bronco so I'll have to check it out) and I can look if they have any.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Is your life worth $68? How about the people on the road with you? You can cheap out on stereo equip or the brand of oil you use but dont frig around with your brakes. It aint no good if it dont stop at least as well as it goes.
What do you mean $68? For a used one that could be in worse condition than mine? For one that could injure people or myself worse than the one I already have? No it isn't worth it. I rarely drive my truck and when I do, I avoid the freeway like it's a plague. I know how dangerous it can be but I also know that as it sits right now, it's safer than how it was sitting a few days ago. My emergency brake is trashed, my passneger side caliper is trashed, all my lines besides the passenger one are trash including the Master cyl. and booster. But am going to replace them now? Not a chance. If I had the money for new parts would I, you bet I would. I work 1 day a week for a few hours stocking gas station shelves and pay $100 a month in bills. I can't afford to buy parts right now.
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
I'm assuming this is for the 78 listed in your sig? I'm going to one of the wrecking yards after class tomorrow (saw it had a 9x bronco so I'll have to check it out) and I can look if they have any.
Thanks for the offer but it's the same as buying one on Ebay, it could be useless for all we know. I've got a junkyard that probably has one or 2 but if I can pull my sensor and match it to another new one that will fit and cost me $10-15 then that's better than buying a whole Prop Valve.

I get sick and tired of brake work, drums, disk, everything. It's all a pain and it's all costly BUT I love the S**t out of my bronco and I try my best to keep it safe and in good working order. Sometimes things don't work out the way they should but you play with the hand you're delt.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Got up a little early and started working on the ole Bronco. Got the A/C and P/S bracket installed. P/S pump and pulley installed. Started messing with the A/C compressor and tried to mount it without the nuts that were between the compressor and bracket. The compressor hits the bracket and is still too far forward (towards the front). Took the compressor to the parts store and compared it to 2 different makes of compressors............previous owner had wrong compressor installed......by whoever!! So, when i get everything else done and ready for the road......I'll have a new compressor and A/C hoses. Gonna try and get the new wires, cap and rotor installed today. I had ordered Ford Motorsport wires off Amazon but got an email they were on backorder. I got some MSD Streetfire wires, cap and rotor. Starting to cloud over now, so I'm going back outside!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Matt, you can create a custom mounting plate, that's what I used for my compressor since mine was adapted too, the only thing that you might need to change is belt size, but since yours is just a little bit forward I'm sure you can get away with the small adjustment.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Encho
Matt, you can create a custom mounting plate, that's what I use for my compressor since mine was adapted too, the only thing that you might need to change is belt size, but since yours is just a little bit forward I'm sure you can get away with the small adjustment.
Yea, the compressor was a little noisy, so I'm just gonna replace it. I just can't believe a shop would let something like that leave their shop. It wouldn't even fit the bracket without the nuts as spacers and was too far forward. (about 1/2") It is even "clocked" different than the ones I compared it to. Even the clutch and pulley was different. I can get some of this other stuff wrapped up. Maybe even get these nice JBA headers installed......

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Dylan the ones I saw on e-bay were brand new for the price I stated. And came with sending unit and pigtail wire for your existing harness. Not a used p.o.s. I understand being on a budget and would never suggest buying something related to a safety issue from a junkyard.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well, the bronco saw it's first dose of offroading in a long time. I decided to treat my coworker to a bit of fun since he has been helping me with guitar lessons and things like that. There is a dirt hill down the road, probably 40-50' tall, kinda steep but not terribly bad. This was also a good chance to make sure my 2 lo works, so after it got nice and soggy with the rain we ran up it. I hit it hard and fast with the pedal mostly on the floor. We made it to the top with no problem and we tossed every bit of cargo I had all around. My guitar ended up on the floor and my tool box was all messed up.

I almost got us stuck though, the dirt was real soft and the top isn't flat so I had a hard time going anywhere. After a while of rolling back in neutral then moving forward in drive, I finally got us at an angle where I could relax a bit. After finding all my marbles and cleaning my shorts we rolled back down the hill and that's where the fun began. As soon as we were back on level ground there was a terrible sort of grinding sound. After shutting the engine off and looking around I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. After opening the hood however, I discovered my battery had dislodged itself and fell onto the alternator pulley. The fins dug out a nice groove in the battery casing. It also ate away about 1/4 of the way through my negative battery cable. After getting that back into it's rightful spot and making sure nothing else was messed up, I tried starting it. The radio would flash then nothing. I grabbed my trusty flashlight hammer and pounded on the negative cable under the alt where it grounds out to the engine. Then it spurred to life. Made sure it was back in 2 hi and that it moved without any issues and we went on our way.

I'll tell ya what, despite having a brake leak, these brakes work damn good. And, the ol' beasty will still kick ****. All in all we had a lot of fun even if it only last for 3 minutes, but if I were to do it over again, I think I would have taken it a bit slower going up and maybe gone up one of the 2 side trails vs the center one. I was going to have my co worker jump out and take a video of me coming back up it but after the rough ride up I decided against it.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Mother_Love
Junior User
What did I do? Decided not to sell her. I've got too much time and blood invested, not to mention money, to just sell it after these last couple of years. I am going to take the back seat out of it though, so if anyone is interested in a tan rear EB seat from an '85, let me know. My plan is to make this a huntin' rig, and the seat gets in the way of that.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Sounds like a good plan, selling a bronco is always a most regrettable idea. Everyone I talk to that has sold one regrets it almost immediately.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Mother_Love
Junior User
Yeah, I think I just needed a trial separation for a few weeks. My problem was every weekend, I would look out the window, see it, and feel compelled to work on it in one way or the other. Now that I've had some "me" time, and bought a Grand Cherokee that's a little easier on gas, I think we're in our 2nd honeymoon.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?