1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

hey AXracer . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey AXracer . . .

what year Toyota box did you use? i have a 56 also.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
It's actually 79-85 Toyota boxes 4X4 power steering box. Just as long as its not the IFS boxes, those are long and ugly.

I have 3 of them if you are looking for one. They are starting to dry up supply-wise out there.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
I remember read somewhere (here) that a certain year, within the range, fit the 56 better, so i wanted to be sure. I'm installing a 4.9L so space will not be a issue.(logically thinking, although Murphy never thinks logically)

Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
All the Toy PS steering boxes from 79- early 85 Full size 4x4 pickups are the same. You may be recalling the discussion of the difficulties with installing the manual Toy box.
If you are using the mod motor, you will need to use a non-rack and pinion PS pump or modify the OEM pump to put out more pressure. Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for the box, they usually have a few listed or see if you can find a local off road club. The Toy guys change the box when they install a lift kit. Be sure to get the lines and fittings, at least the return line fitting it is a non standard 17mm thread size. If all you can find or get a smoking deal on one without the fittings, or need the clearance (or want the bling) Gottashow sells a set of braided SS lines with their own banjo style fittings.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
thank you sir, i'm guessing the same is true with the manual Boxes? being the same.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
AFAIK The manual boxes were also all the same. The manual box will fit the same adapter mount as the PS box, but the output shaft splines are different and no one makes a conversion pitman arm in the manual spline pattern.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Actually, the manual boxes are slightly smaller dimensioned than the power steering boxes. After too much frustration with a manual box I switched over to power. I would highly recommend staying away from the manual boxes. I naively thought I could make it work but honestly, steering is the last place anyone needs to risk it. AX made me a believer in the power steering boxes. On a side note, I wanted to bring up a couple of issues relating to these power steering boxes so hopefully down the road someone sees this and it helps them out.

1. These boxes are becoming hard to find in local junkyards. Do a search on car-part . com and you will see there is not much out there. Certainly not in the previously mentioned $25 range. Sadly, I think those days are gone. When I went looking earlier this year most boxes were in the $100-$200 range. If you find one cheaper, grab it.

2. Try pirate4X4 .com It's a Toyoda site and you might get lucky with a cheap box.

3. Remaned boxes are available from autozone for about $300 PLUS $125 CORE fee. Rockauto has them for $245 + 115 CORE FEE. Cardone Part # 27-8472

4. You MUST have the correct inserts in the pump otherwise the fittings will leak. Sometimes these little buggers fall out. I have found a place that sells them in case your box doesn't have them. Here is the link.

5. If you found a box and someone is shipping it to you, make sure they package it inside a leakproof bag. I had one shipped to me via USPS Priority mail (costs about $17) but the guy didn't wrap it and power steering fluid leaked out. It ruined the box and I almost lost the whole thing. It arrived in a biohazard bag and a very unpleasant letter from the postmaster.

6. CPP makes the correct pitman arm and a good set of hoses that fit the toy boxes. Mid-50 buys their parts from CPP and marks them up for sale. Either buy direct from CPP and save $$$ or ask Mid-50 and they will price match CPP.

7. For those that searched like I did for months on here.... A stock 223 6 cyl motor CAN be setup for power steering. I love mine.

8. If you have a box but need it rebuilt, Rockauto will rebuild them for about $180.

Just wanted to share my experience. Your mileage may vary. I am very happy that I have power steering now. It makes a world of difference in the handling of the truck.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
What I should have said was there is only 1 manual box, they are not the same as the power box in size, output spline, or steering ratio. The mounting arrangement is the only commonality.
Teardropty, care to share what pump you used and how you mounted your PS pump on the 223?

I'm sure Teardropty would be a good source for a box, and you'd be sure to get the right one.
MF will price match any other supplier.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
I used the original toyota pump that came with the used power steering box. Here it is mounted on my 223. More pics in the gallery.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
What I should have said was there is only 1 manual box, they are not the same as the power box in size, output spline, or steering ratio. The mounting arrangement is the only commonality.
Teardropty, care to share what pump you used and how you mounted your PS pump on the 223?

I'm sure Teardropty would be a good source for a box, and you'd be sure to get the right one.
MF will price match any other supplier.
Sorry, missed the question way back when but wanted to update for future reference.

I actually used a Saginaw-style pump and mounting bracket out of a 1986 Ford Econoline van. I had to weld a piece of 1/8" 2X2 angle to the mount to secure it to the side of the 223 engine block. I also had to use an Acculink adjustable v-belt to get it all to work correctly. Love it.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I'm sure you meant saginaw power steering pump not box, but I'm clarifying for anyone who may be watching.
Maybe you could post a picture of your modified mount sometime?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
I'm sure you meant saginaw power steering pump not box, but I'm clarifying for anyone who may be watching.
Maybe you could post a picture of your modified mount sometime?
Oops, yes, PUMP not box. I will edit that out. LOL Wouldn't that be a nightmare trying to modify the box. Here are a few pics.

FYI - There is also a mounting point tucked between the GM alternator and pump. You can't see it in the photos. There are a total of 3 bolts/mounting points holding the pump on. The key is finding the right tension between the alternator belt and the pump belt. They adjust in opposite directions, hence the reason I used the Acculink adjustable V-belt so I could finetune. Trust me, once the belt breaks in one link has to be removed. I still like this setup over trying to use a double pulley on the fan side of things.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've also went the Toyota PS box and it was very easy to install. I bought the mount and pitman arm from CPP.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Jasonnoel
Senior User
Originally Posted by turnrjr
I used the original toyota pump that came with the used power steering box. Here it is mounted on my 223. More pics in the gallery.
How did the single belt work. Did the power steering pump have any issues. I'm trying to figure out if this is a viable solution. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: hey AXracer . . .