Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Posting Guru

Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yeah it's a 1906 Victorian, probably not something I will end up finishing as the town has changed and there is a tremendous amount of traffic on this two roads now. Just needs cosmetics now, was turned into a duplex and needed a lot of fixing.

I don't really like to sit and just watch tv or something for more than an hour a day. Usually if I'm sitting I'm working on design or drawing, otherwise I get real bored real quick and I had some serious back problems that always got worse when I sat (not work related, lets just say I won't help you move, lol). My brother and I actually run a separate business after work, keeps me busy and gets me out. The problem with running your own shop is you often don't run into people during the day. It's easy to spend the whole work hour and not talk to a single soul. So it's important to have lunch and dinner with people and get out as well.

As far my my truck goes, this weekend I figured out how to do the tailgate latch the way I want, so I'll be starting on that. I will probably order or make some new bed sides out of thicker metal. These are pretty dinged up and I'm not sure it will be worth the effort to fix (it's not an original bed). The highschool around here has a 10' brake to bed the sides easy enough, but I would need help man-handling a 6.5' length of steel to align perfectly. With everything else to do on it, I might just order a set. Anyways, I'll have pictures of what I'm doing with the latch system once I have something to show this week, ha.

Wanted: '53-56 horn button, '56 wiper arm
Parts I have that I don't need: F600 Running boards, F600 running board brackets (2), 272 fuel pump
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Posting Guru

Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Been spending a lot of time dealing with the tailgate these past few weeks. The problem is I want a one hand operation that's very easy and very reliable, especially in the winter. I've actually made a more traditional latch with all the mechanics to it, but I don't think I'll end up using it, mainly because if it gets any ice in it it will be a problem and I need it to always work.

Went to a car show again today, but not as much fun. Problem is is it was open to anything (I knew I was in trouble when the voting section read: pre 1950, 1950-1975 and 1975-present... how can you group the 50s and 60s together?!). Doesn't feel like a car show when you have new pickups parked next to vintage, feels more like a parking lot no matter how nice the truck. And I still don't understand why people bring their cars to these if they don't want to talk about what they have. I guess I'm still looking for people with the same passion about building. And if one more guy tells me how to build my truck, too the moon Alice.

Click the image to open in full size.

And I know it's Taboo, but a black '63 Stingray showed up and made my day. It's my dream car, the one I want to really build up and not be a daily driver. There is one a couple blocks from me that *Waynes World voice* someday it will be mine, oh yes, someday it will be mine.

Parts I have that I don't need: F600 Running boards, F600 running board brackets (2), 272 fuel pump
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
An interesting thread on a very nice build, it`s really great to see an F600 not only saved from the crusher but in daily use!
98 Ranger XLT S/cab
65/67 Mustang Fastbacks
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 PM
New User

F1hundred is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice truck and good work so far, keep it up.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I love Abby . Any plans to go 4X4 with her?

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks

Whole lot of plans with the 4x4 route. My biggest problem is getting all the parts I need as they are heavier duty than what's more common. To run the 37" tires I want I need at least a Dana 60 up front, and they are a good 4x as much as a Dana 44. Plus the powertrain route I'm doing is extensive enough I should just swap everything over at the same time. And when I do that I should do the paint, and the frame as well. So right now I'm stuck waiting on all the parts I need.

Though I have decided that in town I'm no longer going to tell people what I'm doing on it. I get tired of people grimacing when ever I mention doing anything to it at all. It seems half of everyone wants me to not change or update anything (like even the running boards to be full length) or build it some other way.

I'm going diesel for about 40 reasons, a few of which are: reliability (the engine will last the rest of my life), more than double the MPG, more than double the power, completely mechanical, can run off just about anything (many options if fuel prices ever get too high), ease of finding parts, much stronger,and being turboed allows for a lot less power loss in the mountains and cold weather to name a few.

Though I think the 272 is a cool engine, I have specialty parts like the water pump where to fix I need to replace it and put in an electrical fan. It doesn't get the best mpg, doesn't have the best power, and as cool as it is for a daily driver it's just not a practical choice for around here. And though I like the duallys I can't go 4x4 without changing out the rear axle anyways, it's geared too low if I ever want to use first or second gear with a diesel, and it requires the huge wheels I have on it now which limits tire choices to basically semi-truck tires only. The gearing is also such that I will basically never find a front to match it, and having a dual-rear speed could be very dangerous with a 4x4.

It's cool as it is, but it's not useful enough to be my truck all year round. I need a truck that can drive in anything, that can handle the mountains when there is snow, that can go on long trips if I need to pick up stuff, that's reliable and economical.

And it looks like I went on a rant there, lol whoops. I guess that's the result of having a few grunge builders grimace everytime I mentioned doing anything to my truck. If you like yours how it is, then fine, but I'm not a grunge builder, I don't want my truck rusted out and beat to hell when all is said and done. It's boring to me to leave it alone when I have a dream for it. Guess I'm just tired of being told how to build my truck, especially by people who haven't thought any idea through. I took it to a few car shows for the fun of it, but that last one irked me a little, where are the people with passion about their builds around here? lol...

Ok, rant over.

I did put back a cross beam I had to remove when I moved the axles forward. I'll probably still make a couple more or find some to give it some extra strength as a 4x4. However I still need to research that out as I remember hearing these old trucks where designed to twist and flex as they where built for dirt roads.

This build still has a very huge motion left to do with it, from everything that makes it move to everything that makes it pretty. But it will look pretty close to how it is now, just a lot more refined with a lot different stuff under the hood

Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Stephen, ignore the naysayers....do it your own way!

One option may be to buy a wrecked or used "donor" truck with all of the components you need. You can sell off extra parts to offset the cost, then scrap the rest. I did this to get my COE chassis.....ended up with the parts I wanted and no net cost. Also watch the Govt surplus auction site, lotsa cheap trucks go thru there.....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Posting Guru

The donor would be the easiest route. Only problem I've found with going that route is what has a 12v Cummins in it and 4x4 is a Dodge. Granite the axles are made by Dana just like the engine by Cummins, but from what I've come across the Chevy or Ford Dana axles where a little bit better. Plus I have no where for the truck right now, ha. (Course I could problem turn one into a heap of parts with an angle grinder in a days time). Just a matter of finding something. I want to find the axles geared at what I need as well because it pretty much doubles the price of them to change out the gears and requires tools I don't have. 4.10 I can find easy enough, but 4.56 is actually my ideal. Problem is is those are rarer as they use a larger housing, it splits at 4.10. Some 4.10s have the smaller, some have the larger, if I use a smaller one I have to swap out that housing as well, so it's not just the cost of the gears. But they're around here. I figure I will find it when it's time and it will be more than I asked for, just like the '56 was

Nay-sayers usually don't bother me in the slightest. I was just stuck at a show with a bunch of them for a couple hours and when you where expecting to find people exciting about builds, it becomes a bit exhausting to have people literally cringe when you mention doing anything to it. But it's always annoying as they have all the opinions in the world but nothing to back them up with. The first time I mention what it's like to find parts for something from the 50s, not the 60s, it tends to dawn on them. I guess some people just want everything exactly how it was, but there is a good reason you hardly see completely original 50s trucks that way, the world has changed and updates are needed. It's not like the 60s where things became a lot more like what we know today, I mean heck, 56 was the first year for 12v and turn signals standard! I don't even have a drivers side key hole. And someone who says you should leave it that way has never had to crawl over the shifter and e-brake on one of these things. And I'm ranting again, lol...

Ok, back to work!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
That is awesome the way ya did the door corners. It looks so much cleaner.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks It was a little weird on the second day since I was so use to seeing it how it was for so long, but I think it makes for a lot cleaner of a look. To anyone looking to do it I copied the top corner above the vent window and made a template off of that. I used this so the top corner would match the curve of that spot. The rounded corner on the back side of the door won't work because it has a curve to it that the front doesn't have, and isn't a 90 degree angle like the front.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Posting Guru

Well today was a little bit of a day. I went to the hardware store to pick up some bolts for the rear bumper, came back out and had enough coolant under the truck to reach all four tires. So that's awesome.

Problem is the water pump on this uses a different one than whats being reproduced or the repair kit for it. I could use one of those and an electric fan I suppose (my fan runs off the water pump directly), but I'm just not in the mood to spend the money for that right now, ha.

Oh, and I broke a hood hinge bolt. Thankfully I was able to get it out. Didn't quite close right, ha. Thankfully I manage to fix that cause it wasn't a good look.

I greatly improved the support to the rear bumper. I used the original front mounts (that where twisted up) and adjusted them for the rear. And then added support to the frame itself. I might end up welding the bottom supports onto the bumper for a cleaner look in the end.

One adjusted, the other before. They're not flat, but have about 1/2" of a hump to them:

Extra support, I still need to clean the welds up a bit more, but I'll get to that when I do the rest of the frame:

Hopefully get those tail lights finished soon too, don't like these

So now it has 14 bolts holding it on instead of 2, that should help, lol

Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Elder User

Alcaeus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Alcaeus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sweet Mustang in the garage by the way. Your a man after my own heart!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free". -Ronald Wilson Reagan
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Posting Guru

Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rojak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm really glad you started this build thread because I had never heard the story of your truck. You had an interesting truck to start with but now... wow... very cool. Just screams "Super Duty" to me. I can never get tired of looking at those purpose built trucks from the West and Northwest. Back from the day when trucks were trucks! Conversion to 4x4 and a Cummins sounds like a good plan to me. I'll be watching as well.

1948 Ford F-3 Flatbed "Older Blue"
1975 Ford F-250 Highboy "Old Blue"
1977 Ford F-150 Flatbed "The Bodinator"
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Dear Abby by John Prine (Acoustic cover) - YouTube

This is your truck's song!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks

The '67 was my first real build, it has a Cobalt blue candy over black, it's very alive in the light, especially when it's not covered in dust, lol.

The 4x4 Cummins conversion should hopefully happen soon. I just need all the parts at once how I need them before starting. It's my work truck and I can't have it in pieces for long.

And that's a great song Topmoo

Well today I fixed the water pump leak as much as possible. It still leaks a tiny bit, but not too bad. About how it was. Problem is all the repair stuff isn't made for the one I have. Mine is the one on the right, the repair on the left:

I took it all apart again, thankfully didn't need a new seal to put it back on. I used the pieces I could off the repair kit, mainly the spring type seal inside. Still leaks a little but what are you going to do, ha. A cup every 10 miles or so is livable right now.

Well, I'm going to go test it out in a drive and make sure it doesn't leak any worse. Plus it's Friday, good excuse to just call it a day and go for a drive

Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks