1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

61 Unibody Question - What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
wuzard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
61 Unibody Question - What's it worth?

I have a 61 f100 Unibody that needs restored. I have the original title (not salvage), and the keys. The body needs lots of work but the motor will turn and the rear-end isn't seized. It has been parked since 1984 and ran when it was parked. We are the second owners of this truck. I have been asked what I want for it and just don't know what to tell the guy. Any suggestions?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Originally Posted by wuzard
I have a 61 f100 Unibody that needs restored. I have the original title (not salvage), and the keys. The body needs lots of work but the motor will turn and the rear-end isn't seized. It has been parked since 1984 and ran when it was parked. We are the second owners of this truck. I have been asked what I want for it and just don't know what to tell the guy. Any suggestions?

What it is worth is all relative, it's basically worth what someone will pay you for it, so I guess you are asking what you should tell someone to pay you for it.

Anyway without pictures I can't really tell you what I would pay for it, or guess what someone else would pay for it. What you should ask really depends on 2 major things.

1. Where are you located? I am in Southern California and I know that stuff sells here for more than it sells other places, depending on what it is.

2. Who are you selling it to? If it is some guy that wants a truck then he is probably willing to pay less than someone who is specifically looking for an old ford or specifically looking for a unibody or someone that wants to fully restore that specific year truck. It really helps to know your target buyer if you really want to maximize profit. I bought a 61 unibody for 300 bucks because the guy lived in the absolute middle of nowhere and he really didn't know what he had. I have also sold trucks for twice what the average buyer would pay because I found THAT one guy that wanted THAT exact truck, his dad had one when he was a kid, or he's been looking for that for years and never found all the options he wanted, or he just wants that truck because it's perfect.

If you have time to sell it correctly (IE waiting for the buyer that will pay more than anyone else) for something as unique as a 61 unibody (these things are rare to some people, If you look harder than a normal guy they don't really seem all that rare, yes debatable I know, I own 3, one is a short bed, they all run and drive) anyway if you have the internet savy try ebay, it seems to be the best tool to find the more specific buyers because they are constantly looking for "their" truck which means someone looking for a 61 unibody will probably be using all the resources they can find and ebay is a good tool to beable to have many of the specific buyers basically bid against each other driving the price higher than say if you only posted on Craigslist (also a great tool cause it's free! watch out for flakes) or posted it locally in say a newspaper or whatever, I can't tell you how succesful that will be because I have no idea where you are located.

Anyway post some pics, who knows I might need a 4th Unibody! And it is true a picture is worth a 1000 words and seeing something in person is absolutely priceless (pictures can really lie if you know how to take them )

Good luck with your sale if you go that route.

Sorry for the long post but I felt bad because 60 people viewed your post and not a single one replied.

Cheers Mason

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
wuzard
New User
Thanks for your opinion it is greatly appreciated. I will go out and take some pics and see what I can find on ebay. Oh and a long post is better than no post so thanks!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is due to this forum being a sub forum. Typically only uni owners will peruse here.

Body needing lots of work is a killer on the uni. It alludes to bad torque box and a host of structural issues that it brings.

With heavy rust it may only be a parts truck.

It also helps to post just where you are located as the price differs radically between south west truck and rust belt truck.

Garbz

Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
low54
Elder User
as said above, its hard to even give you a hint of what its worth, evilbay is not going to give you a good reference...structural issues, engine and interior will will put you into the mid hundreds...again its hard to say without pics

Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
A vehicle is worth what someone is willing to give for it. As much as you see charts and articles on dollar value (which I don't get into) most of what someone says a vehicle will bring is pure speculation. For a project that doesn't run but it fairly solid, $1500 would be my lid. In this real world (not the world of Barrett Jackson auctions or E-bay) if something has rust, people will be lucky to get a grand for it (and many will boot you off their property if you tell them that !) No title? That's another killer as well. I see ads every day on Craigslist for stuff with no title and the seller still thinks it will command $2K or more. Some are 2 and 3 year old ads that are still appearing now. They never learn.