Computer Chips & Tuners  

Edge Products - They supposedly "kill" transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Edge Products - They supposedly "kill" transmissions

Was reading on another forum and came across this post by Bill @ PHP. I've been reading posts about how Edge kills transmissions for a while here and on other forums. Seems it's mostly not true. Just wanted to see what y'all thought. I know Bill has close dealings with Edge...but the guy tells things like they are.

Originally Posted by Power Hungry
there continues to be this argument that "Edge Products kills trannys because they don't tune the transmission." In regards to the Evolution, that is straight bull****. The Evolution has ALWAYS tuned the tranny on both the 7.3L and the 6.0L. The original JUICE/ATTITUDE, on the otherhand, HAS had transmission issues in the past due to lack of transmission tuning, but that has long since been resolved with the release of the CS/CTS Attitude which DOES tune the transmission. In fact, we have a large number of customers running the latest Juice with zero shifting problems. There's no question that there has been some history of transmission concerns on the 6.0L (and the 7.3L, to a lesser degree), but very few of those complaints were actually related to the Evolution.

thoughts?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
Was reading on another forum and came across this post by Bill @ PHP. I've been reading posts about how Edge kills transmissions for a while here and on other forums. Seems it's mostly not true. Just wanted to see what y'all thought. I know Bill has close dealings with Edge...but the guy tells things like they are.

thoughts?
I have followed this topic closely for quite some time and, in my opinion, evidence against Edge products is exceedingly sparse and exclusively anecdotal. One of the problems I have had with endorsements regarding a number of products on FTE, some of which are well known to me, is once a product finds favor or disfavor, the same statements are repeated over and over even when the person doing the post has no direct experience with the product or competing products.

There are a great many folks on FTE working on an equally large number of old trucks, some of which having been rode hard and put up wet, so to speak. Failures to transmissions and any number of components can come from a wide variety of causes, but the assumption seems to be the last thing I did caused the problem, a simple correlation. For example, I installed an Edge product and my transmission failed. It may have, but there are a jillion things that can cause a transmission to fail, like maybe the fact it has 100,000+ miles on it for example or the previous owner never changed the transmission fluid, etc.

I personally find the posts on FTE is be interesting and, at times educational, but I do not regard product ratings as more than opinion.

My two cents worth,

Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bill is right, the old style Edge never did reprogram transmissions, the new ones do. Edge makes good stuff, I have seen a few trannys that were absolutely great get killed after an Edge install, but I can't say they killed the trans. Personally, I like SCT more in automatics. And Edge in my manuals. That's my honest opinion

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That just tells me the company does not know what the hell they are doing in regards to tuning. A tune like that should not even have been uploaded into a tuner. If they did that crap back then and thought it was ok what do they do with their current and future tunes that are not right?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It's always only been the original Juice with Attitude, it was the original Shift-on-the-fly part that did it, the newer Edge tuners would be fine if the weren't 1) stupid expensive and 2) locked into canned tunes.

Bill is the only person I know of that can write custom tunes for Edge platforms, and if his PCM tunes are as good as his FICM tunes then his Gryphon is probably a good deal. But when you have people like Matt and Vivian writing for the SCT platform... why would you ever buy canned tuning from Edge? To me that's the biggest reason to NOT choose Bully Dog, Banks, Edge, H&S, Superchips, Diablo, or Hypertech for the 6.0L, because why buy canned tunes when custom ones are right there for the SCT?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Lots of opinions and folks most often favor what they have or they would not have purchased them in the first place. Nothing objective though actually demonstating superiority either way.

Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Nothing objective though actually demonstating superiority either way.
What IS objective is that Bill @ PHP and Matt/Vivian are writing custom tunes for people while some companies dump stock files on you that you have no idea what's in them. Call Bill and he'll spend hours on the phone with you explaining what his files actually do and how, so objectively speaking, you actually know what tuning you're getting instead of just a tune that's "good for xx+HP". Better tuning? Maybe. Better information? Definitely. Can you go to Superchips and get on a dyno and get live tuned? Don't think so, but at Bill's you can.

Maybe I'm arguing about the quality of the tunes moreso than the platform... so any locked platform will be ranked lower because of the lack of customization ability.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Bill is right, the old style Edge never did reprogram transmissions, the new ones do. Edge makes good stuff, I have seen a few trannys that were absolutely great get killed after an Edge install, but I can't say they killed the trans. Personally, I like SCT more in automatics. And Edge in my manuals. That's my honest opinion
I'm not sure how old "old" is, but my Edge Juice with Attitude is from around '05-'06 and it has tranny adjustments as to defueling shifts. I have a 150k on the Edge, almost 200k on the whole truck, and zero transmission issues. FWIW...

Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard more issues on bully dog systems than Edge. Just me personally.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
it's always been a blanket statement that ALL Edge products kill transmissions. To be honest, I had no idea there were so many flavors of them floating around. You have the little rounded one and the bigger square one. To me, that's the only difference. It appears there are at least 3 of them? And they have different names based on the software loaded up/age?

Bill actually does all the tuning for Edge on the F-150 and Superduty line-up. For the Gas and PSD motors. His Edge tunes are CARB compliant. His PHP tunes...are not! You are getting a quality product when you use Edge "canned" tunes. But you get a better product by buying his custom tunes with a Gryphon

Bill is a stand-up member of the diesel community and I can't wait to try his Atlas 40 on my FICM. Going to send it to Ed @ FICMRepair as I don't have time to wait on the tuning list...and my FICM occasionally dips < 47.5 volts. 2 birds with 1 stone

anyways, thought people would like to read this. rather just blanket saying "Edge kills your transmission", you can now target that to the Juice/Attitude

Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tylus
it's always been a blanket statement that ALL Edge products kill transmissions. To be honest, I had no idea there were so many flavors of them floating around. You have the little rounded one and the bigger square one. To me, that's the only difference. It appears there are at least 3 of them? And they have different names based on the software loaded up/age?

Bill actually does all the tuning for Edge on the F-150 and Superduty line-up. For the Gas and PSD motors. His Edge tunes are CARB compliant. His PHP tunes...are not! You are getting a quality product when you use Edge "canned" tunes. But you get a better product by buying his custom tunes with a Gryphon

Bill is a stand-up member of the diesel community and I can't wait to try his Atlas 40 on my FICM. Going to send it to Ed @ FICMRepair as I don't have time to wait on the tuning list...and my FICM occasionally dips < 47.5 volts. 2 birds with 1 stone

anyways, thought people would like to read this. rather just blanket saying "Edge kills your transmission", you can now target that to the Juice/Attitude
Well, not exactly...mine certainly has not been destroyed. The "Attitude" is monitor that allows you to shift programs as well as a gauge for various inputs like boost and EGT, which I monitor on mine. I put mine one "wide open" a long time ago and left it there. I routinely get compliments on how well the truck runs from people who have worked on it. One, who was about a pocket a chunk of change from me on upgrades, advised me to leave it alone as it ran and drove great! You can't convince me that my Edge is killing anything.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I was of the notion that Bullydog kills trannies, not Edge etc.

Now, I'll admit that is from second hand experience and Internet lore than personal experience.

Josh

Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
It's always only been the original Juice with Attitude, it was the original Shift-on-the-fly part that did it, the newer Edge tuners would be fine if the weren't 1) stupid expensive and 2) locked into canned tunes.

Bill is the only person I know of that can write custom tunes for Edge platforms, and if his PCM tunes are as good as his FICM tunes then his Gryphon is probably a good deal. But when you have people like Matt and Vivian writing for the SCT platform... why would you ever buy canned tuning from Edge? To me that's the biggest reason to NOT choose Bully Dog, Banks, Edge, H&S, Superchips, Diablo, or Hypertech for the 6.0L, because why buy canned tunes when custom ones are right there for the SCT?
The canned extreme tune made my buddies 6.0 a total animal compared to a canned SCT Tune. Although it'd canned tunes, you really can't go wrong with either. Especially for someone not looking for a custom tune

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say it has more to do with the owners and the mentality of someone who puts a tune on the diesel then subsequently kills the tranny from their driving style. Seems that the vast majority like lots of black smoke and flooring the truck as much as possible. Just saw one such genius today in a Dodge pull a trailer with two cars on it pull out in front of a guy and spew his smoke, not the sharpest pencil and definitely not good for the tranny, especially being a dodge. I see plenty of Ford's do the same that also have a lift and big tires, all of which not good for the tranny.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
So, in summary, there appears to be little, if any, proof Edge products destroy transmissions. There is the suggestion information about what a "tune" does is more readily available from custom tuners, although it is unclear how many buyers value access to a tune's programmer.

Does a custom tune offer better performance than a canned program? The jury on that issue is not only still out, but has not even been selected. Answering that question would require unbiased evaluation or blind comparison, neither of which appear to have been conducted to date. And, if a statistically significance difference could be demonstrated, would it be great enough to influence buying decisions?

Steve

Quick Reply: Edge Products - They supposedly "kill" transmissions