Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do Bronco's do towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
the truth
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, he won't go lower than $3,600. So didn't want to waste his time. There's a 93' Eddie B. with 137k mi. no lift, new tires, but needs new windshield ($145) and was told 4wd works somtimes, a/c don't work, as well as window switches, he's asking $1,800.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
That sounds better. All pretty easy fixes.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I tow 75% of the time, 5 X 14 low boy with one or two four wheelers. Rear squats even with towing pkg. springs. Front end is almost like new and even have a Red Head box. Tires are BFG Tour which can be inflated to 51 PSI with little lateral movement. A truck rut in the asphalt still demands lots of attention. I would not want it for a daily work truck on the highway. I can take my time to the deer lease.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the truth
No, he won't go lower than $3,600. So didn't want to waste his time. There's a 93' Eddie B. with 137k mi. no lift, new tires, but needs new windshield ($145) and was told 4wd works somtimes, a/c don't work, as well as window switches, he's asking $1,800.
Yeah those are all actually not too bad (besides the AC..) I'm in the process of adding power options from manual (like windows door locks mirrors etc) and it's really not bad at all, but somewhat time consuming routing the wiring. Window switches shouldn't be too bad to fix if everything is already in place. Sounds like maybe the 4x4 has some electrical problems too which isn't too bad to fix either, but I would swap over to manual hubs if it has electric now. AC will cost a bit to fix depending on what it is.. but the truck is still drivable.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
the truth
Junior User
Originally Posted by b4hntn
I tow 75% of the time, 5 X 14 low boy with one or two four wheelers. Rear squats even with towing pkg. springs. Front end is almost like new and even have a Red Head box. Tires are BFG Tour which can be inflated to 51 PSI with little lateral movement. A truck rut in the asphalt still demands lots of attention. I would not want it for a daily work truck on the highway. I can take my time to the deer lease.
Yeah I'm leaning more on using the F250 for work, and the Bronco for going into town and bad weather that needs 4wd. Good info, thank you.

Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Yeah those are all actually not too bad (besides the AC..) I'm in the process of adding power options from manual (like windows door locks mirrors etc) and it's really not bad at all, but somewhat time consuming routing the wiring. Window switches shouldn't be too bad to fix if everything is already in place. Sounds like maybe the 4x4 has some electrical problems too which isn't too bad to fix either, but I would swap over to manual hubs if it has electric now. AC will cost a bit to fix depending on what it is.. but the truck is still drivable.
Yeah he says truck runs and drives good. Hopefully can go see it this week and maybe take $1,500. Here's a pic of it, looks kinda blue, but it's green. lol So it also would need a good cleaning. But interior looks surprisingly in good condition in the pic.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like he had a different center console put in there and some exhaust work done too. I can see a few issues such as the dent and the other repairs you said need to be done, but if you can get it for 1500... well I definitely would that's for sure! Plus it looks pretty good. I got mine for 5K, so if that's in good running condition with only those problems I would think it would be sold pretty quickly!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i see autohubs, those fail all the time.

you MUST drive these rigs before you lay any money down. not to scare you from a bronco but the trannies in these rigs run $1800-3500 for a rebuild. thats why i said to have a shop look it over.

I paid $1500 for mine if i recall and had issues that i have been able to take care of over time but honestly i should have held out for a different one as mine has seen better days.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
the truth
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
i see autohubs, those fail all the time.

you MUST drive these rigs before you lay any money down. not to scare you from a bronco but the trannies in these rigs run $1800-3500 for a rebuild. thats why i said to have a shop look it over.

I paid $1500 for mine if i recall and had issues that i have been able to take care of over time but honestly i should have held out for a different one as mine has seen better days.
So all years had tranny issues, I thought the 80's Bronco's did but the 90's were pretty good.
Can't remember which tranny I was told to look for. And could I tell that by the vin#?
This one is an 93' with 137k miles and the 351, but don't know which tranny.
Thanks, and yeah my tranny in my F250 was around $2k for a rebuild. But my mechanic is 60mi away and won't be able to take this one that far.
Anything to look for with the tranny, other than slipping and shifting issues?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the e4od was the only auto available from 90 on up unless special ordered from Ford in which case it would have a C6 (very rare)

90-92 the e4od had lots of issues, 93+ is when most of if not all those kinks got worked out by ford and the tranny got many needed upgrades to perform properly.

I think if you stay 93+ your in good shape, just drive it for a bit and let the motor and tranny get to proper temps. see if the tranny hunts a lot when driving around town or on the hwy. check tranny fluid with engine running, check for excessive bubbles, burnt smell or bad color.

stay clear of the 302 broncos , you wont save anything fuel wise over teh 5.8 and be lacking in power for certain.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Carstenseth
New User
I am not sure how comparable they are but I have a 1979 bronco. I have pulled with it so much, and never had a problem with it pulling. It had a 351 that I swapped for a 400 both would pull any load I would put on it. The suspension would sag less then a 80s f150 with air suspension. I am just saying what I got, I hope that the one you are looking at would be as strong

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
we never said he couldnt tow with it. We are saying its not a safe tow vehicle and isnt built to tow heavy loads safely.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Yep.....they can pull alot of weight....it is just a bit tricky with a short wheel base. I never have understood why the rear suspension was always so soft....even beefed up it seems to sag when loaded. I hauled a bunch of pavers (900-1000lbs if memory is right) inside my '93 and was surprised at the drop in the stock suspension.

Still love the ride when empty...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
I bought a 93 for $500 with a mint body.. no rust at all except for the rear quarters were starting to bubble a little bit.. Needed an oil pump which the shop charged me about $500 to do it.. And that thing had a 351.. it was a beast.. i could drag my 71 all day with it.. I bought another 93 with a rebuilt trans.. for $850.. trans has to cost about $1600 from where i bought it from.. With very little mods and a new oil pump.. i have pulled f250s out of snow no prob.. just adding a k& n air filter and a dynomax offroad exhaust.. Blah blah blah.. broncos will tow but you need to know how to control it
just my .02

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
It actually looked like that one in the pic for $500 except it had a black top and where the cream color was black..

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
I have towed 10 ton loads behind my '91 bronc, slowly, of course. But the weight was distributed mostly on the trailers axles not so much on the rear of the bronco. I love the bronco for backing trailers because of a nice tight turning radius, and the hitch is usually closer to the axle centerline than say a F 250's. I haul pickup box trailers loaded to the max with firewood, usually about 2,000- 3,500 lbs of wood most of the winter with more handling problems from the trailer then the bronc. It takes awhile to get used to but have been scared as much pulling with a full sized truck. I would get the $1500 one asap, good price and in better shape then my '91 when I bought it.
Never liked the E4od trans for pulling anything, so swapped in the M5 manual trans and looking for the ZF 5 speed to go behind the 5.8 swap in the works. (Yes, I still have a 5.0 under the hood!)

Quick Reply: How do Bronco's do towing?