1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Anysuggestions for my holey hood?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
GPinNC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anysuggestions for my holey hood?

I have been steadily working on my fridge since I bought it. I've got a new exhaust installed, got the lights and horn working, currently working on the gauges and instrument lights, etc. I've got one issue I don't know what to do about though.....these 2 holes side by side on the top of the hood. A past owner must have had some kind of hood ornament mounted up there. I've been looking at vintage hood ornaments on eBay for the past couple months but haven't seen anything with mount holes like this....and really I wonder if it would take something away from the truck to have a hood ornament mounted on the fridge that wasn't made for it. I'd like to hear if anyone has any opinions or ideas about this......what would you do if it were your truck? I saw one modern chrome eagle that has self sticking tape on it....but I'm not real comfortable about that either. I'm also posting pictures of my engine and gauge mess that i'm working with now.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 613 Likes on 550 Posts
Here's an expensive way to go if you could find one. They were offered for the 53-56 trucks!

1953-1956 53 54 55 FORD PICKUP TRUCK OPTIONAL EAGLE ACCESSORY HOOD ORNAMENT F100 | eBay

Looks like you truck is keeping you busy!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
nice looking truck. good luck with the hood. if it were me i would head out to the bone yard and look for a cool one off anything that will cover the holes you already have. or if your handy you could make something?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Here's a fun, even if only temporary use for those holes: Install a cheap aftermarket windshield squirter kit. Aim the squirters 90 degrees to the passenger side, drive slowly and soak poor unsuspecting people.

I/we may or may not have done this in high school, occasionally substituting in the mass quantities of urine,a by-product of the watery, 3.2% beer us under-aged kids could most easily obtain .We were hell on nerds back then.

Your truck's looking good.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
GPinNC
Junior User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Here's a fun, even if only temporary use for those holes: Install a cheap aftermarket windshield squirter kit. Aim the squirters 90 degrees to the passenger side, drive slowly and soak poor unsuspecting people.

I/we may or may not have done this in high school, occasionally substituting in the mass quantities of urine,a by-product of the watery, 3.2% beer us under-aged kids could most easily obtain .We were hell on nerds back then.

LOLOL.....wow ibuzzard....that idea hadn't occured to me. That's the kind of innovative suggestion I was looking for, lol

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
GPinNC
Junior User
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
nice looking truck. good luck with the hood. if it were me i would head out to the bone yard and look for a cool one off anything that will cover the holes you already have. or if your handy you could make something?

Yeah i've been looking at the hood ornaments on ebay for a while now. I see some that have a round base (like the old moto-meters) that would cover the holes if I could figure out a way to mount them. I don't have the talents of some of the members here who's work amazes me. If I could I'd build a hood ornament that looks like spurredon's avatar!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 AM
hotfalcoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This might look good on a fridge but it doesn't show how it mounts.

1941 CADILLAC HOOD ORNAMENT

Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 AM
hotwater6
Freshman User
Man, I don't know what to do about your that wouldn't sacrifice the paint, but that freakin' engine bay is gorgeous. I hope mine looks that good someday.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anything you bolt to it won't stay tight since the holes go through the hood brace underneath and there is a gap in between. Why wouldn't they fill those holes when they painted it? I'd say fix it right and have them welded shut and repainted over.
Nice truck but not a fan of body colored grills, needs to be white or chrome. Seeing the unfilled holes and painted grill kind of smells of red flags the rest of the paint job, makes me wonder what other corners were cut.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 613 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard

Now that sounds like the Buzzard we know! Good to see you around.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

GP (general practitioner?) -There's no need to fill and repaint your hood because of those holes, in spite of what some knucklehead says, unless it really bugs you that it is less than perfect.Just wait till the paint gets real bad and you re-do the whole truck.I think your having fun just improving it little by little,that's the best way to enjoy old trucks in my opinion.The best trucks are daily driven trucks, not shiny costume jewelry that is only driven on Sundays in good weather.Your truck is looking good,body-color painted grill and all.You can always rattle can some body plugs from the parts store in a close matching color and pop them in, if it bothers you.Personally, I feel a hood ornament on our era of truck is a bit gaudy and out of place.I've never seen one that I'd want on my truck.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is my suggestion. Do you remember those little black plastic plugs that they used to use to cover the holes made when rustproofing a car? I still see plugs like those at some parts stores. Get 2 of the shiny black ones that fit, and put them in the holes. If anyone asks, say that they are an aiming device.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

GP, if you've got your heart set on a hood ornament,you might check out this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...for-52-f1.html

The " bird" looking one in the thread seems to be very popular (thus, expensive) but difficult to find.There is one poor misguided soul over in the 48 -56 Forum who shall remain nameless - O.K., his name's Bill - who has had them occasionally.However,beware,as the one I saw him trying to sell was a reproduction.Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you,but the one he had was a horrible re-pop, a goofy looking Chinese reproduction that looked bad.More like a "Mutant Greyhound" , than a bird.I don't believe he even realized it.Anyway, buyer beware.Really though, I'm pretty sure it won't even work on the holes drilled in your hood.

By the way, here's the link for for one of those crappy reproductions to avoid like the plague:

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/pts/3142994452.html

Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
hotwater6
Freshman User
iBuzzard,

The 48-50 and 51-52 body styles are my all-time favorites. I know it is a matter of taste, but I just don't understand why folks want to stick every re-pop accessory available in the back of a Dennis Carpenter catalog on their truck (Primered 51 in post)… even worse, whats with all the extra teeth on that grill? Looks like dentures.

I'm not a fan of hood ornaments on trucks, even those that came from the factory (late 60s through early 80s).

Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
hotwater6
Freshman User
I didn't mean to sound rude, I'm just a bit of a curmudgeon.

Quick Reply: Anysuggestions for my holey hood?