S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Can someone help me out with my AC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I live in Vegas and the front system is enough to keep the cabin comfortable. I'll only turn the rear system on when I have passengers back there. I'm more acclimated to the temps though, so if the cabin is 80*, that feels good to me when it 115* outside.

When you change the fan speed selector is there a definite change in volume with every commanded increase? I'm still not clear if you have a problem with discharge air temperature, or volume.

Here's a short vid on the EATC head unit self diagnostic feature. They won't always throw codes when they're bad.

Ford EATC Diagnostic Test (Self-Test) Procedure for Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Modules - YouTube

The dealer that fixed mine swapped in a new head unit to see if that fixed the problem, and it did. I went through all of the pinpoint troubleshooting from the factory manual which involved a lot of vacuum testing(which was very time consuming), and it didn't identify any problems.

You could still have a mechanical problem with the front evaporator, blower, or blend door also. Rule out what you can. Hopefully your charge pressures really are good. Adding the load of the rear evaporator, which then makes the front colder, is unusual.

If you've read the majority of EATC threads you've seen that troubleshooting them often leads down a rabbit hole. That's when an experienced Ford dealer tech is worth every penny you pay them.
I'll take a look at that vid. Funy you should say you live in Vegas, that's where I was last week and when it hit 112 in Baker, I only had the front system on and we were sweating. The air gets considerably warmer when we're stuck in traffic, Cruising at 70 mph at 2K RPM the air gets cold, but the cabin really never gets cold, I can feel the heat if I sit higher in the captain's chair or move away from the vent.

As for the fan speeds, the fan seems to be spinning at the lowest setting, although it's quite useless. Unless it's at full blast, I feel that the AC is subpar. On my other cars, full blast is really strong to the point where I get cold and I have to turn it down, not the case in my X. I wish there was another X around here that I could compare the fan speeds to, would probably help me determine if there really is something wrong with my AC, or if it's the way it's supposed to be.