6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"typewriter" noise showed up at 36k

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"typewriter" noise showed up at 36k

So, I recently had my 4th oil change done at the dealer, just under 36k miles. Same dealer that has done /all/ service on my 2011. They used the same parts and materials as always, but this time there is a very noticeable "typewriter" sort of noise at idle. Much louder than the normal chatter, and not consistent - tick.... tick-tick... tick.... tick... tick tick tick... etc. The diesel tech shrugged it off: "Ford says it's nothing to worry about." As it has never happened before, and it sounded a /lot/ like lifter noise resulting from a low-oil condition, I asked him to put in another quart. He did, and the noise went away. Mostly.

Now I've only driven about 75 miles since the oil change, but the last time I drove it, I had the windows down and noticed what sounded like lifter noise again. Not the same pattern at idle. This time, it was under light acceleration and the frequency increased with engine speed. It's going back to the dealer in the morning. Not only for this, they're also on their third attempt in the past 2 weeks at fixing a squeak in the dash. But while it's in, I want this noise to go away.

In spite of all the posts about how this sort of noise it typical with new oil, and goes away in 10-2000 miles, I'm concerned. Nothing has changed other than the fresh oil and filter. In the last 3 oil changes, this condition never existed. Am I being reasonable?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Ive had 2 2011s and mine makes no noise. Ive read the tsb that states it is normal. But in my opinion, if its normal all of the trucks should do it.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I agree. and at least every truck that does it should do it at every oil change.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine has always had it after an oil change. Always done at dealer using 10- 30 non synthetic. Sounds like crap, a heck of a lot louder than the engine. Mine takes about 2k miles to completely quit doing it.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Interesting. mine has never done it. I changed the oil at ~2500, ~10k, ~17k, ~26k and ~36k. All at the same dealer, and (according to them) all using the same oil and filter combo. Whatever actually causes it can't be simply chance, it has to be related to something specific. Harmless or not, I want to know what changed between the previous oil change and the most recent. I have a feeling they won't tell me

Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The tick has always existed on mine after an oil change.
This previous oil change must have been less because I don't remember noticing it as long.
I experienced similar mileage with earlier changes; around 2k it would quit.
Motorcraft 15w-40.
It did not do this with the factory oil and I picked mine up at 4 miles.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '11 did it as well. It was annoying and I tried to locate it to no avail but it did sound like a lifter even though I didn't think it was. Mine was more random; it would occur intermittently and then disappear.

If you or someone figures it out, it would be nice to know what it is/was.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
All I know right now is that It only happened with this oil change, and only at 13 qt. When they put in the 14th qt, the noise went away. It wasn't exactly random, but I also didn't really give it a chance to go away and come back. If it comes back with 14 qts in the pan, I'll post about it here.

The new noise is only audible under acceleration, and I only noticied it once, but again I haven't driven it much. It sounded nearly identical to any old gasser that is over a quart low, maybe a little bit quieter. I don't know if an overfull condition can cause things like this in a diesel engine, maybe someone else here does. I *hope* that the dealer wouldn't agree to adding a 14th qt if it could cause any problems.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Here's a copy of TSB 10-19-2 that addresses the Engine Tick/Tap noise. This noise is very similar to the Duramax "typewriter" noise as well. The general consensus is that these noises have always been associated with diesel engines, but now with pilot injection that make these engines so quite, these tick/tap noises are now noticed.

6.7L DIESEL—TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE TSB 10-19-2
FORD:
2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550
ISSUE Dealers should not attempt to compare any
Some 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other
ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle
often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect
similarity to the sound of random typing on a conclusion that the vehicle has a condition.
mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that Typewriter Noise is a normal operating
when near a building, wall or drive through window, characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has
that this noise can be heard from inside the cab. no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not
attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is
ACTION characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will
Follow the Service Information to inform the typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil
customer of the characteristic. change maintenance interval.
SERVICE INFORMATION Refer to vehicle Owner Guides and Maintenance
Guides for approved engine oil viscosities and
The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft usage information. Use of different oil viscosities will
journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block not eliminate this noise and is not recommended.
produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. Customers should be informed that these conditions
The overall noise reduction in engines produced do not affect engine durability and no repairs are
today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it necessary.
was present in prior model year vehicles, but
masked by other noises in the past. Because the WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only - Not
6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design Warrantable
improvements to reduce diesel engine noise,
Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on
previous products. Typewriter Noise is not
detrimental to engine function or durability. Other
manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the
presence of this condition for a number of years.
Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine
contributes to perceived differences in noise
intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F
(65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to
approximately 1700 RPM’s), this noise can typically
be heard at the front wheel well and is often
isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan
area.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
yeah, I've read that and the dealer even referred me to it. They couldn't explain why it never happened before, though

Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Wasn't an additive discussed at one point that addresses this? PM17 or something like that? I remember a thread where it was discussed.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
4stroke
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it only with the '11 year or does the '12 do it also? If not what did they change in the engine to make it go away?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far, knock on wood and steel and plastic an a whole lot of other non-sensical stuff, my '12 does not have it. My '11 did from the start. And I don't think anything has changed engine wise to make it not duplicate the noise between the two. Luck of the draw?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Wasn't an additive discussed at one point that addresses this? PM17 or something like that? I remember a thread where it was discussed.
Marauder92V,
Your close ... It's Motorcraft XL-17 Engine Oil Modifer

Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
the new oil has about 400 miles on it, and both noises are gone. The initial typewriter one went away by adding a quart, so I'm not sure if oil aging would have done it or not. Oil aging does seem to have fixed the other one, though. AND the dealer go rid of that infernal squeak. I'm happy today

Quick Reply: "typewriter" noise showed up at 36k