40's truck frames

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 AM
jafish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40's truck frames

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind a couple questions from a newb.

My name is Josh, and my 2 daughters and I want to restore an old truck together which will eventually be theirs to drive when they come of age (I have warned them that it will not leave with them when they go to college...IT'S MINE!). We have been researching and, with my wife's input, decided on a 40-41 Ford 1/2 ton. I have been reading about the interchangability of the parts between 40 and 47. My question is, what frames were the same? For example, if I get ahold of a rust free 46 cab, will it fit on a 49 frame, or do I need to stick between the 40 and 47 range (some of my web-reading lead me to believe the frame stayed the same from the mid 30s to the mid 50s)? I live in Ohio, so you can imagine what any 40's trucks (unrestored) that I can find up here are like. I found a rust free, perfect 46 cab in FL and I just wanted to know about a later frame (I don't want to go the S10/Ranger route). I can't seem to find this information on the web and I've been looking for some hours now (my head is about to explode). So, I figured, who better to ask than the people who have done what I am getting ready to do. I am so excited, but nowhere near as excited as my 9 and 11 year old daughters who absolutely LOVE old trucks and cars.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to haunting this forum.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 AM
jafish
New User
Well, no more did I post this and I ran into something interesting that hopefully someone can confirm or deny. It looks like the frames were from 35-41 and then 42-47 (or so). Does that mean that the 46 cab I was talking about will fit on the 35-41 frame, but the frame had to be a little different due to the different front clips? Hopefully I'm figuring this out, but I would still love to hear from others. It sucks working midnights when all the smart people are sleeping.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM
geomechs
Senior User
Hi Josh, and welcome to the 'club.' The cab didn't change from '40 to '47 but the frames were different. '40/'41 used transverse springs while they went to parallel leafs in '42. The '40/'41 used a fan on the crankshaft while in '42 they moved it up about half way. That, plus the changes to the frame made the '40/'41 lower in the front. The sheetmetal would be very challenging to get to fit a newer frame. As far as the frame goes, they changed it again in '48, along with everything else. If you're looking for a relatively easy project and you're determined to go with the '40/'41 style, you're a lot better off to search out one of those. Good luck on your project.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:04 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Josh, welcome to the forum. As GeoMechs suggested, you'd probably be money ahead and fight fewer demons in the long run by finding a frame in the 35-41 class. I am 4 yrs into a resto-rod project of a 40/41 and I've used a '37 frame for the foundation. The mounts for cab, bed, front sheet metal are fairly straightforward using the early frame. And yes, a 42-47 cab (like the one I'm using) fits just fine. Here's a shot of my cab mounts on the frame. -Ken

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 AM
jafish
New User
Great info guys, thank you. I actually found a 35-41 frame that a guy had started to modify (Mustang II front and 9" rear) before deciding to go a whole different route. I'm getting it for $400 and think it's a great start for us. Do you know of a good article or write up that would inform me of what modifications/bracing needs to be done for the frame to stand up to a more modern v8? Should I box the frame? Also, KGP50, I see that you replaced the original pieces that are inboard of the rails with tubing, is that a kit or something you did of your own accord? And, are the cab mounts those blocks of wood?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Jafish, re: the merits of boxing... there are different opinions about the need for doing this. Generally, if you're doing modifications that include an IFS and / or lots more HP from an engine swap, it's advisable to consider some boxing. Still, there are ways other than boxing to add strength and rigidity to the rails. Do some searches here on FTE and also over on the HAMB ... some good discussions that will help you make up your mind. Here's a link to one of them 1932 ford frame, to box or not? - THE H.A.M.B..

The tubular support in my picture came with the project when I picked it up... "Some assembly required" (HA!), but I can't tell you who the manufacturer was. I found it once doing an internet search but didn't keep the info. The cab mounts you asked about are wood (oak). Several vendors sell them; mine came from Mack Products. -Ken

Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
jafish
New User
Ken, thanks again for the info and advice. I will do some research like you suggested. I absolutely love the oak body mounts. As the son of a carpenter, and having been in and around the trade all my life, it would be really cool to find schematics for them and make them myself with my dad. I'll have to look around for that as well. Thanks again. Do you have a build thread for yours? Josh

Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Josh, I don't have a build thread but have quite a few pictures that show project progress-- go to my picture gallery and look at the 41 Ford gallery. They'll give you an idea of where I've been with this project.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 AM
jafish
New User
That looks like a great project, Ken!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 AM
jafish
New User
Ken, it looks like you have the Progressive Tubular X-member. See the link.

Progressive Automotive, frame x members, chassis x members, tubular x members,

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jafish
Ken, it looks like you have the Progressive Tubular X-member. See the link.

Progressive Automotive, frame x members, chassis x members, tubular x members,
Josh, thanks for finding that. That's exactly the site I had seen before. I'll try to remember in the future. -Ken

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Also, nice build Red! Keep it going.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 AM
jafish
New User
Thanks, Red.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:27 AM
jafish
New User
Pics below to aid in understanding my questions.

So...in my child-like excitement and daydreaming, I've been doing some research on different things I want to do with my build (mind you, I haven't even gotten the frame home yet). The guy I'm buying the frame from took it off Craigslist once I committed to buying it, which I thought was nice. However, I was looking at pictures of 1941 Ford truck frames on Google and ran across archived photos I recognized as from my sale ad, and, upon further inspection, they are. Now, this is the first time I've seen these pics this large because the only other place I've looked at them was on my phone. I realized that what I had thought was a Mustang II front end is not (this explains a lot about what the guy said to me and why it is only costing me $400). So, I jumped to conclusions...ok, that's nothing new. I am still ok with it, but I need to get some more information/advice from you guys. The front end is the stock axle that has had a new suspetion setup built for it that the guy said is a one-off. It is coil sprung with a custom trailing arm/i-beam suspenstion built for it. He said it is completely done. My question is, doesn't it look like it needs a panhard bar or something to locate it side-to-side? Also, do you think this setup is good for a modern V8? I am very intrigued by this setup, and if it proves worthy, I would love to keep it. However, my daughters will be driving the truck eventually, so it MUST be safe. Thanks for any input. Josh

Quick Reply: 40's truck frames