6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Delete is it good or no!!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Roofire337
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Delete is it good or no!!

Hello I am a new diesel owner and i just got a 2004 f350. I live in wi and we trailer horses. I want to make my new truck perfect but is only able to do it one piece at a time. I have new exhaust coming, but my bigger problem is it safe and good for the engine to delete the EGR system, with a delete kit?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wisconsin does not do mandatory emissions tests of light diesel vehicles older than 2006, so your truck would not have to go through regular testing. That means that although it's still illegal and you could get caught, you probably won't. What you can do is get a Scangauge II or other monitoring system and find out what the condition of your oil cooler is by monitoring the coolant and oil temperatures. If the oil temp is more than 15 degrees hotter than the coolant temp under certain conditions, that shows that the oil cooler is clogged up and should be replaced. What happens is the oil cooler clogs up, restricts coolant flow to the EGR cooler, which causes it to fail, and then you have issues. EGR delete is solving the symptom, not the problem - the problem is the clogged oil cooler...

Now, if I had to do it (knock on wood I don't) I would change the oil cooler and install an upgraded aftermarket EGR cooler. Keeps everybody happy.

As a new owner, you should do two things instantly - measure the fuel pressure (your dealer can do it easily) to find out if you have the upgraded fuel pressure regulator spring, Your fuel pressure should be 60 psi at idle. Next - get the Scangauge II and monitor your temperatures. That will tell you exactly what is happening with your new truck! From there, you can get into a lot of detail, but those two are the basics if nothing is currently causing any problems.

Edit: forgot to mention use the SG to monitor your FICM voltage and battery voltage. Those also are silent killers - kind of like the high blood pressure of the 6.0 PSD...

Brian

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roofire337
Hello I am a new diesel owner and i just got a 2004 f350. I live in wi and we trailer horses. I want to make my new truck perfect but is only able to do it one piece at a time. I have new exhaust coming, but my bigger problem is it safe and good for the engine to delete the EGR system, with a delete kit?
Hi bud and welcome to the forum!

Your question is kind of "loaded" and you are going to get a pile of mixed responses. First off, if you live in certain areas (possibly all... I can not confirm either) of the USA it is ILLEGAL to remove your factory emissions systems. Some states are more sticky about it than others ie:California.

I live in Alberta Canada and we don't have those policies.... yet! So I will be going with a full delete when I need to address another egr cooler/oil cooler issue.

If you are worried about getting into trouble with the law in your state, you do have other options.... you can go with a Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler

BulletProof EGR Coolers

If you look at the pics you can see the difference between stock vs their design. A lot of people swear by them!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
spocky1187
Junior User
Your going to get many mixed answers here on this subject IMO delete it and save the headache and keep the $$ in your pocket down the road, there have been a lot of people I've seen here that have went with the bullet proof egr and have had great success. Hopefully you'll get one of the techs in here who can really explain pros and cons to keeping it or deleting it. Good luck

Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
spocky1187
Junior User
Wow as I was typing that two great responses! God bless FTE

Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
This is a highly debated subject around here but in a recent post I tried to sum up my opinion this way:

(in no particular order):

Reasons to delete EGR.
1. If you plan on modifying your truck for competition.
2. It can't Leak if it's not there.
3. Possible power/mileage increase.
4. Less engine wear.
5. The truck is a hobby, You enjoy mods.

Reasons to not delete EGR.
1. It's against the law.
2. You'll need a tuner and tunes.
3. If you sell you truck, it may put off some buyers/locations.
4. It helps the environment (a little )
5. It will run just fine with EGR.

Here is a link to the thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-benefits.html

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
This is a highly debated subject around here but in a recent post I tried to sum up my opinion this way:

(in no particular order):

Reasons to delete EGR.
4. Less engine wear.

1. It's against the law.

Here is a link to the thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-benefits.html
^----------- VERY GOOD perspectives!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by berick

Your question is kind of "loaded" and you are going to get a pile of mixed responses. First off, if you live in certain areas (possibly all... I can not confirm either) of the USA it is ILLEGAL to remove your factory emissions systems. Some states are more sticky about it than others ie:California.

Messing with emissions is federal, meaning that it is illegal in the US period. Testing or no. You are right, the odds of getting caught are different depending on where you live and where you travel to.

Reasons to delete EGR.

If you are modifying for a competition, chances are your truck isn't going to be suited for street use anyway.

Typically when it fails, more often then not it's due to something else not to the part itself. Fix that part.

In theory yes, but not a sure thing. In fact, you have people on this very forum that say that they had a lose of MPG after a delete.

4. Less engine wear.
Still waiting for mine to fail. I'm even throwing more at it. Imagine that.

Not for me, but I still enjoy my mods.

1. It's against the law.
Here it is. Yep.

Depends on certain years. Not all require a tuner.

It should put off all buyers as it would make registering the vehicle illegal.

That it does. How much and all that jazz, up for debate. But it does help.

Yep. All you have to do is just drive the vehicle with the knowledge of the EGR system running and you should be good to go.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Roofire337
New User
thanks

Thanks everyone you explained just what i wanted to hear. I am just trying to learn everything i can to make this truck work good and last a long time..

Thanks!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
EGR Deleates are against the Law so are TUNERS (tuners are for off-road use Only) just depends how far the state you live wants to take Enforcement

But they are Both Egr Deleates and Tunners are Illegal for On Road use no matter where you live

The Leval of Enforcment is the Kicker

I love these threads LOL

Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BLADE35
EGR Deleates are against the Law so are TUNERS (tuners are for off-road use Only) just depends how far the state you live wants to take Enforcement

We have been through this before. Only California are tuners against the law in of themselves. Meaning the mere presence of a tuner is illegal regardless of the type of tuning in California.

Tuners and how aggressive tunes are allowed to be are up to state laws. Typically they enforce it based on how long it takes the dark cloud to dissipate. Texas I think it's 5-10 seconds generally speaking. Tennessee it seems like they tolerate a lot more. That's typically how it's applied on the road, now during testing, it is determined by opacity measured at the tailpipe.

To my knowledge there is no federal law on tuners except when it comes to tunes that disable, delete or otherwise affect emission controls. As that would fall under the law about tampering with emissions equipment. Or when it comes to opacity readings at testing facilities. If your aren't in California (or there may be other states that have laws, but Cali is the only one I'm aware of at this time) and your tunes don't get you past certain thresholds when it comes to testing there isn't an issue. At least not with mine and we do have testing for diesels and mobile ones as well. Haven't failed one yet.

Most custom tune companies say that tunes are for off-road use only as they typically disable the EGR and/or other emissions equipment from the get go unless the customer requests otherwise, thus making the tunes illegal for on road use. They do this to cover their *** and to make sure the burden is on the customer not on them. That does not mean that tunes are illegal in of themselves, except like I said in California where they have a state law.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tex25025
We have been through this before. Only California are tuners against the law in of themselves. Meaning the mere presence of a tuner is illegal regardless of the type of tuning in California.

Tuners and how aggressive tunes are allowed to be are up to state laws. Typically they enforce it based on how long it takes the dark cloud to dissipate. Texas I think it's 5-10 seconds generally speaking. Tennessee it seems like they tolerate a lot more. That's typically how it's applied on the road, now during testing, it is determined by opacity measured at the tailpipe.

To my knowledge there is no federal law on tuners except when it comes to tunes that disable, delete or otherwise affect emission controls. As that would fall under the law about tampering with emissions equipment. Or when it comes to opacity readings at testing facilities. If your aren't in California (or there may be other states that have laws, but Cali is the only one I'm aware of at this time) and your tunes don't get you past certain thresholds when it comes to testing there isn't an issue. At least not with mine and we do have testing for diesels and mobile ones as well. Haven't failed one yet.

Most custom tune companies say that tunes are for off-road use only as they typically disable the EGR and/or other emissions equipment from the get go unless the customer requests otherwise, thus making the tunes illegal for on road use. They do this to cover their *** and to make sure the burden is on the customer not on them. That does not mean that tunes are illegal in of themselves, except like I said in California where they have a state law.

Right thats why Im saying All Tunners are Illegal because the tunner gave it More Fuel and OVERWHELMED The EGR SYSTEM therefore it AFFECTS Emmision Controls

All or nothing IMO

Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Right thats why Im saying All Tunners are Illegal because the tunner gave it More Fuel and OVERWHELMED The EGR SYSTEM therefore it AFFECTS Emmision Controls

All or nothing IMO
You do realize that I pass emissions don't you? If it overwhelms, I wouldn't pass the mobile sniffers here or the regular testing here.

I have no emissions equipment disabled, deleted, or otherwise. If fuel and air are balanced, it doesn't overwhelm. You have to remember even though I am flowing more fuel then stock injectors, I am also flowing a helluva lot more air, so I don't run rich. Don't think that I got crazy with the bigger injector size either. I just went with Spartan Stage Is and I didn't go higher, because of several reason, but the only one that applies here is because they were still able to be tuned and still pass emissions as long as other supporting modes were done. Which I am sure you can guess that I did those mods as well and I do pass emissions and the mobile testing done around here.

Oh, by the way, even if you have a problem with what I said above, I wouldn't say all tuners for those that just have tranny only tunes or those that actually detune their trucks. That alone actually disproves your argument that all tuners are illegal, because all tuners overfuel and overwhelm the emissions system.

Like I said, your statement of all tuners being illegal to my knowledge is only valid in California where they have a state law stating such. Otherwise, it's how the tuning is done as to if it's illegal or not and what federal and/or state laws it violates.

There is no law here stating tuners are illegal in of themselves. I do pass emissions to satisfy what state/federal guidelines are in place. I don't know how you could say my truck is illegal.

Now granted, I do believe that I am the minority and those that get just tranny tunes or they detune their truck are in the minority, however, no matter how small these demographics are, they preclude a conclusion of "all tuners are illegal"

Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
You do realize that I pass emissions don't you? "

And SO DO I where I live

we are just not being checked in that Specific way that we would Fail

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Oh, by the way, even if you have a problem with what I said above, I wouldn't say all tuners for those that just have tranny only tunes or those that actually detune their trucks. That alone actually disproves your argument that all tuners are illegal, because all tuners overfuel and overwhelm the emissions system.

"
Now were beating around the Bush

Any tuners that enhance or ADD Fuel Delivery to the cylinders Affects emissions

that would produce more emissions same as a Deleate

Just in my mind either way The emissions have been changed Directly or indirectly but changed

To much change thats for the state to decide IMO how hard they want to be about it

Kinda like how they can grow pot and smoke it in California But Federaly its Illegal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR Delete is it good or no!!