1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C cool but not cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
horsebackjenn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C cool but not cold

I have spent a couple days seaching for A/C info regarding the 2012 model F250 from my phone, and have finally fired up the PC so I could register and ask my question so I can get get on with finding a solution. I'm really sorry if it ends up being a redundant question, and if so, please feel free to direct me to where I need to look.
My husband bought me a 2011 F250 last November and he recently had to start using it for work so he bought me a new truck, a 2012 F250, with the media center (because I use GPS alot in my travels).The A/c in the new truck is barely getting and keeping the cab at a comfortable temp and I still feel sweaty and sticky when I finally get home at the end of the day.
It is an extremely noteable difference from the older 2011 truck, so I got a meat thermometer and measure the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. It read 68* in the new truck, while it read 38* in the older 2011 truck. The older truck would freeze me out in less the 20 minutes, with the ambiant temperatures exceeding 110* outside. This new truck takes about an hour to even get to wear I can feel somewhat comfortable.
So, I took the 2012 truck in and had it checked out. They found a leak and repaired it, so now it blows at 48* (at 4pm, in their airconditioned bay), according to their thermometer and about 52-58* on mine (at 2pm in the blazing hot sun). Its a bit more comfortable after bout 20 minutes, but still not cutting it for me with out temps being well into the 3 digits here in NM every day.
I travel with show dogs, and I have to keep them cooled at about 65* or they start blowing their coats, and the cab never gets that cool. I have tried auto, manuel/recirc with high fan and nothing helps it cool any better and the tech said that because the cooling system is meeting all the specs, there is nothing else he can do for me under warranty and it would be about $900 to replace the compressor....with a 50/50 percent chance that it won't cool any better. The tech also said that these trucks have a known issue with the evaperator, but because its blowing at the temp recommended in the specs, there is nothing he can do. He also said that maybe the compressor needs to be broke-in some and come back after a few thousand miles. (but the other truck blew frigid-cold air from day 1). It will be winter time in a few thousand miles!
I WANT THIS TRUCK TO COOL AT 38*, just like the one I had to give up did, can anyone please tell me specifically what can be done to reach this goal? I don't care if I have to spend $2 grand to get it done, I NEED it to blow colder.
On a side note, I also measured the temp in my son's '95 f150, and it is also blowing 38* out the vent during the hottest part of the day, so I don't see how or why it should be so difficult to get the brand new truck (less than 2 weeks old) to blow just as cold.
I am so angry and dissappointed that we are spending so much money on this truck, and its less than 2 weeks old (about 500 miles on the odometer now) and I can't even sit in the thing comfortably, let alone keep my dogs cold enough to keep them from dropping their show-coats.
Can some body PLEASE help me? Is it too late to take the danged thing back and get another one???

Last edited by horsebackjenn; 08-17-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: separate into paragraphs
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Check out another 2012 on the lot and see if it blows cold air better. If it does get colder then I would say you have proof right there that the mechanic is full of BS. Your truck is brand spanking new and these trucks are not cheap. For $50K+, that truck better be perfect.
Once you check out a different truck, and it does better, then ignore the mechanic and deal with the service manager. If he calls no joy and won't play well with you, then there is a Ford Customer Service number you can call to complain about dealer's, service managers and /or just a certain vehicle. That usually rattles enough cages to get something done.

As for taking it back, most places call anything over 300 miles "Used". To claim a lemon they would have had to done mutiple repairs over the same thing before they will check out the history and then call it a lemon for a switch out. I am afraid you are stuck with the truck unless there is something I missed which is possible. I am more familiar with Colorado laws.