Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
New User

rigrunner is starting off with a positive reputation.
What now??????

I bought a used 04' 250 with 200k miles. I have deleted the egr, flushed the cooling system, replaced the ICP, IPR, and pigtails to both. The FICM has been repaired at "circuitboard". It came with a SuperChip programmer and I have tried stock & performance couple of times but is now in stock. In June I tried to pull my boat, (23ft=2-3 tons) and the truck went crazy. I bought a SCII and was monitoring WT and EOT. The EOT went 25-30 degrees over coolant temp. After about 3 miles I was looking at 210WT and 250EOT and no place to pull over. About 1 1/2 miles up was a traffic light and store. As I was pulling into store steam went everywhere and truck died. Lifted the hood, coolant everywhere. Towed to repair shop. After about 1hr it would start. Degas bottle had crack and t/s hose had blown. After repair I noticed no power. temps were below 190-coolant & 200- oil. After getting home I checked ICP & IPR. IDLE READ ICP=628psi IPR=77.6%. 1st thought-oil leak. Mech. test drove and read real time data. He said O'Rings in oil rail may be leaking because of code p0263(cyl 1 contribution/balance. I pulled valve covers, pass side was dripping, drive side was pouring. Replaced all oil rail O'Rings. Started up, no leaks. ICP=648psi started, IPR=24.7% cold idle. ROAD TEST, op. temp. at 30mph the ICP=947psi, IPR=34%, then when I fueled up the ICP=677psi, IPR=77.6%. Let off the fuel, ICP=1100, IPR=34%. Then the IPR went to 77.6% and would not change. Could I have melted the connections or have I ruined my engine. Should I start total teardown to HPOP? I just need a starting point and possible check off list. I almost sold the beast when I tackled the ICP & IPR, now I almost wish I had. Thanks in advance for any direction.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Elder User

berick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ouch.... that sucks! I'm going out on a limb here and saying the least you will be doing is replacing an oil cooler!
'05' F350 Harley Crewcab, FS-2500 Oil Filtration System, AFE Cold Air Intake, MBRP Dual 4" Exhaust, Herd Front Bumper, Dual 10" Liteforce "Blitz" Lights, Espar Diesel Pre-Heater, Smoked Recon Led Lights, Blue-spring Upgrade, HFCM Upgraded Plug, Diamondback Rear Deck, Bilstein Leveling Kit, Bilstein Dual Stabilizer Kit, Edge Insight CTS, Strictly Diesel Fuel Pressure Adapter, Icon Adj. Pan Rod, Harpooned, Britebox, Fumoto Valves - Block, Compu-Star Remote Starter with Alarm, CCV Reroute, SCT with Matts Custom Tunes, Riff Raff Cac Boots & Aluminum Cac Tube, DC Power 270XP,
Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
IPR #'s area too high, looks like HPO leak some more. Maybe a pinched o-ring or somthing going back together. Do you know if it's early or late '04? Late has ICP on passenger side valve cover, early will have ICP under turbo.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 PM
New User

The ICP is behind the turbo as is the IPR. Just replaced 6/12. Numbers were good then. I only replace the O'rings under the nipples and they did not leak when I cranked it before I put the valve covers on.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Been a rash of these lately (mine included) but I would pull IPR and check screen. Seem like someone else here had one (early '04) acting similarly and it was an o-ring between the HPOP and the cover. The 1100/34% sounds ballpark ok and it just changed suddenly. Might have been when IPR swallowed screen or it spit out the o-ring in the pump cover. It's not uncommon to loose the IPR screen after working in the oil cooler resivor area. Just what-iffing here, hard to be certain over the computer.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod View Post
Been a rash of these lately (mine included) but I would pull IPR and check screen. Seem like someone else here had one (early '04) acting similarly and it was an o-ring between the HPOP and the cover. The 1100/34% sounds ballpark ok and it just changed suddenly. Might have been when IPR swallowed screen or it spit out the o-ring in the pump cover. It's not uncommon to loose the IPR screen after working in the oil cooler resivor area. Just what-iffing here, hard to be certain over the computer.
Rusty,
Just got home from work and let truck idle for a while. Fired right up, #'s looked like= IPR-28.1%, ICP=632psi, WT-146. Let it idle while I fed chickens, came back WT-188. REved to 1k rpm, IPR-26.7%, ICP-675psi, 2k rpm, IPR-35.5%, ICP-1000psi. Said to self, maybe fixed itself. Put in reverse and the dangest thing happened. The IPR started climbing until it got to 77.6%, put the truck back to park and it dropped back down to 27.8%. I did this several times, same result each time. Did not move, just put in reverse. It there a connection or loose connection here? Or is it cursed and needs to die. I can record this on my wife's phone if questionable. Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Post Fiend

I've never seen that, not sure what to think lol! I'll have to study on that one awhile. Maybe someone else here knows where to look? Are you using a ScanGauge? Can you monitor battery volts and VRef while this is happening?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
New User

Quote:
I've never seen that, not sure what to think lol! I'll have to study on that one awhile. Maybe someone else here knows where to look? Are you using a ScanGauge? Can you monitor battery volts and VRef while this is happening?
I have a SGII and will go right now and monitor batt volts. Not sure what VRef is but I have entered most x codes and will see if it is in there. Thanks for the help??
Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Vref is the voltage the sensors operate on. Should read 4.95 to 5.0V.

KO=4.9 LI=4.9 HI=4.9 OR=4.5 - 5.5 VOLTS Reference Voltage

Vote for my truckhttp://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...test-poll.html"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
New User

Quote:
Rusty,
My pc crashed last nite and had to run recovery. My 1st question from last nite came from looking for VRef on my ScanGauge II. I guess I have not loaded VRef into Xgauge, BUT I came accross SYN=0 while idling. Is that value susposed to be 1 if cam and crank are in syn? Mine is showing 0. Also had these codes, p0264, circuit low-inj #2, and P0676-circuit fail, glow plug #6. After warmed to op temp, VDC= 13.2-14.0vdc. At idle I can increase rpm up to 2500 and IPR & ICP operate in normal range, pull out on street and accel. and in seconds the IPR=77.6%, ICP stays in 650-775psi range. Pull in drive, IPR=77.6%, ICP=650psi. Put in park or neutral and pat accel pedal and IPR starts decreasing until reaching 27.6% and stays there at idle. I can increase rpm and IPR & ICP act normal. Put in ANY gear and IPR increases to 77.6% and stays there at idle while in gear. VDC stay between 13.2-13.7vdc. Put back in park/neutral and IPR decreases back to 27.6%. I am lost as a red snapper in a bath tub.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
high ipr% at idle make me wonder if the pump is going south. not unheard of on an 03/04
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
high ipr% at idle make me wonder if the pump is going south. not unheard of on an 03/04
Cheese,
I guess you are talking about the 77.6%, but when I 1st start it is at 27.6%, what confuses me is the increase when I put it in gear and the decrease when I put it in park or neutral without every increasing rpm.
Also, do you know what sync for cam/crank should be on ScanGaugeII
0 or 1? My SGII is reading 0.
It's 1pm cst, been called in, will be back Sunday evening, 8/19/12 around 6pm

Last edited by rigrunner; 08-18-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: have to go off line
Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Im kinda thinking the same as Cheezit on the HPOP

YOU NEED A NEW OIL COOLER ASAP Regaurdless you have 2 problems going on Minimum

Now lets run a HPO Test very important you do it just like this below

OPERATING VALUES
Just make shure the numbers are taken exactly like this
Truck in PARK OR NEUTRAL all times during test
ECT at 190* or close to And EOT at 185* or higher
A/C OFF
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1-------KOEO=Key On Engine Off =record value and POST IT!!
#2-------Low Idel (truck idel on its own)=record value and POST IT!!
#3-------High Idel (2500RPM)=record value and POST IT!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST Values for ICP & IPR% For each #1,2,3 above

so you will have 3 values for Each Sensor/Valve

Are you With Me???????^^^^^

And do you have an OEM Oil Filter and OEM Oil Filter CAP????this is very important if unshure just ask but must be shure what you have for these Items

After you get those Operating values might be a Good Idea to start to research and get the Parts together to do an AIR TEST on the HPO System
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Im kinda thinking the same as Cheezit on the HPOP

YOU NEED A NEW OIL COOLER ASAP Regaurdless you have 2 problems going on Minimum

Now lets run a HPO Test very important you do it just like this below

OPERATING VALUES
Just make shure the numbers are taken exactly like this
Truck in PARK OR NEUTRAL all times during test
ECT at 190* or close to And EOT at 185* or higher
A/C OFF
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1-------KOEO=Key On Engine Off =record value and POST IT!!
#2-------Low Idel (truck idel on its own)=record value and POST IT!!
#3-------High Idel (2500RPM)=record value and POST IT!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST Values for ICP & IPR% For each #1,2,3 above

so you will have 3 values for Each Sensor/Valve

Are you With Me???????^^^^^

And do you have an OEM Oil Filter and OEM Oil Filter CAP????this is very important if unshure just ask but must be shure what you have for these Items

After you get those Operating values might be a Good Idea to start to research and get the Parts together to do an AIR TEST on the HPO System
I have an Motorcraft Filter and told I have the OEM CAP( has a pentagon shape on top, about 2" high, checked after reading other post )
Test: Truck in park, warmed up 20 mins, A/C off
ECT at 188* and EOT at 186* on SCII
IPR
KOEO=14.4%
LOW IDLE=24.7%
HIGH IDLE=54.7% 2500rpm

ICP
KOEO=11 PSI
LOW IDLE=638 PSI
HIGH IDLE=1336 PSI 2500rpm

Last edited by rigrunner; 08-20-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: incorrect data for 2500rpm
Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 PM
New User

Went by diesel shop today and cap is OEM. I 1st put the #'s for 2000rpm in for 2500 and edited that. Still no assistance?
P0264 still shows up after clearing every time cranked up.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 PM