General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Can you help me figure out what kind of floor this is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Can you help me figure out what kind of floor this is?

We bought another house and I'm trying to match an existing floor. Can any of you help with what species of wood this floor is? The cabinets shown are hickory for reference. Pics are big if you click on them.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Another pic(if it shows).

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is it a laminate floor? or engineered hardwood?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Looks like a laminate to me--I can see repeats of some of the figure.

Jason

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Its a laminate. As far as manufacture I have no idea. But check out quik click. Been doing this for 33 years.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure, but it looks like they made it look like spalted white oak to me. I've never seen spalted wood used for flooring before. spalted wood is used a lot in wood turning because the diseased parts of the wood give it the funky dark, areas that dont follow the regular grain patterns.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Not sure, but it looks like they made it look like spalted white oak to me. I've never seen spalted wood used for flooring before. spalted wood is used a lot in wood turning because the diseased parts of the wood give it the funky dark, areas that dont follow the regular grain patterns.
There are so many manufactures out there its hard to tell. It is a common floor however. Pretty much all made in china and pretty much interchangeable (color wise).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I was thinking it looks like Black Walnut to me.
Do you have a Lumber Liquidators or other floring store near you, that you can take your pics to and compare?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Another vote for Lumber Liquidators. Take a piece with you if you can.

The grain looks like a Maple, but too much figure. So maybe it is also Hickory, like the cabinets. Also looks a lot like Acacia.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
It's laminate--it's fake. Trying to identify a species is pointless. What you have to do is match manufacturer and style.

I found the comment about "spalted white oak" amusing. White Oak is quite rot resistant (spalting is a form of rot caused by a fungus) naturally, partly due to its pore structure (you can blow through a piece of red oak, but not white, which is why white oak lasts a long time outdoors and red oak doesn't--white oak won't wick up water). Spalting almost exclusively occurs in light hardwoods like maple, beech, birch and aspen. So for the pattern to show both darker wood AND spalting is a tip-off to it being fake.

Jason

Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jroehl
It's laminate--it's fake. Trying to identify a species is pointless. What you have to do is match manufacturer and style.

I found the comment about "spalted white oak" amusing. White Oak is quite rot resistant (spalting is a form of rot caused by a fungus) naturally, partly due to its pore structure (you can blow through a piece of red oak, but not white, which is why white oak lasts a long time outdoors and red oak doesn't--white oak won't wick up water). Spalting almost exclusively occurs in light hardwoods like maple, beech, birch and aspen. So for the pattern to show both darker wood AND spalting is a tip-off to it being fake.

Jason
I dont see the amusement in it. I didnt claim to be an expert. I just thought it looked like spalted white oak to me. Yes White oak is fairly rot/fungus/water resistant, but it can also get spalted.

Some of these samples is what i was thinking when comparing the photos above:

Spalted White Oak wood blocks and woodturning blanks by North Woods, LLC

Exotic Wood oak, red

Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Sorry. I didn't mean it as a rip on you, just that the "fakeness" might be a very uncommon wood condition. The spalting pics you linked to look more like mineral streaks to me, and they're less defined than the narrow black/blue trails that follow grain boundaries like you would see in spalted maple.

Jason

Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm not convinced it is laminate, because I don't see any consistency to the pattern. So I think it is engineered veneer lumber.

White oak will definitely spalt, which is caused by a fungus, not rot. But that grain is definitely not oak.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpounds
I'm not convinced it is laminate, because I don't see any consistency to the pattern. So I think it is engineered veneer lumber.

White oak will definitely spalt, which is caused by a fungus, not rot. But that grain is definitely not oak.
Look at the pic in post #2 (enlarge it first). Then look at the second "row" to the right of the rug with the chairs on the left. There is a matching pattern 6 more rows to the right, closer to the bottom of the pic.

Secondly, look how the "ends" of boards are grouped in pairs. Laminate dead giveaway.

Jason

Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

The house is 250 mi away, and I didn't pay attention to whether it's lam or EH. I don't care if it's made of ground up toilet paper, it looks really cool on the floor, and we like it. I've sent these same pictures to 3 different floor retailers, and none can positively ID what kind of wood it's even supposed to look like.

Quick Reply: Can you help me figure out what kind of floor this is?