Sponsored by:

Easy Rust Removal (Electrolytic)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy Rust Removal (Electrolytic)

I am swapping my Dana 44 to 8 bolt outers with all the Dana 44HD stuff from a 1976 F250 front axle. I wanted to clean up the parts going on as I was swapping them but I didn't want to spend hours in the hot garage doing it. I found this process a while ago and figured this was the perfect time to try it. Here is one of the sites I got all the setup info from. The only difference was I have to add a battery in series with the battery charger because my charger is too "smart" to start without reading the load of the battery.
Rust removal by electrolysis

I must say the science experiment went very well.
Setup of the "tank."

Rust removal in progress. (It is very white because I had an led flashlight shining in the bucket for the picture)

Caliper bracket before.

Caliper bracket after.

Bonus, I have never seen the date code this clear.

Now so no one yells at me this is not how they looked straight out of the solution. I spent 5 min in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water with a wire brush and a green scotch pad to knock the last little bit of scale rust and the black "stuff" that was left on after the process. Considering that my investment is the 30 min it took to put the bucket together and then let it sit for 3 hours while I did other stuff followed by 5 min of cleaning I am VERY HAPPY!!
I also got to find out that someone has "clearanced" the bracket with a grinder sometime in the past. Not so bad as to be anything to worry about, just nice to know. Now I need to go throw more parts in the bucket to get cleaned.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The post I saw on this was with a fish tank. I like the way you set up those buckets though. Good post, I'm going to give it a run tonight on some rusted up parts I have for my rig. One question, did you wrap a wire to all of the rebar, and was it submerged? I guess that two.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Yes, I had all of the rebar connected with rebar tie wire since it is uncoated and will conduct the electricity. I left that wire above the water level so it didn't rust away during the process since the rebar (anode grid) is slowly consumed by this process.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Thanks for the 411

Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 PM
roosplash
Senior User
I love this process! I used to have a setup with a 55 gallon drum in my garage. I too had to use a battery in series with my charger for the same reason. I used to strip mower decks, and various parts. I even stripped and entire Moto Pony 60 motorcycle in it once

Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
I have now stripped the rust off of the caliper mounting plate and the disc heat/ dust shield. I have also decided to be a little different and paint up my brake parts in white.
I know most everybody uses black, yellow or red but since my Bronco is Blue and white I figure some bright white parts underneath her will look great. Pics will have to wait as the camera is acting up today...

Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Gave it a go last night. This process was great!!! Now that I have it going good, I can't wait to get home to do some more. Think I may need a bigger set up Here's what 40 minutes will do.

Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2012, 09:18 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That looks pretty neat. I don't know if i would trust myself around all that connected metal and a car battery though. Plus Unless i am using a drycell i don't think i would try it. I don't like the thought of hydrogen gasses near all of that haha. Might just be me though. They also use this process in chrome plating and nickle plating.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Wade that looks great, I am thinking of setting up a bigger one with a large rubbermaid tub. I was told not to use a 55 gallon drum (if its metal) because it will be consumed in the process and start to leak. I'd use a 55 gal plastic drum but I already have the rubbermaid.
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
That looks pretty neat. I don't know if i would trust myself around all that connected metal and a car battery though. Plus Unless i am using a drycell i don't think i would try it. I don't like the thought of hydrogen gasses near all of that haha. Might just be me though. They also use this process in chrome plating and nickle plating.
Gruesome, that is why you set it up outside where it is well ventilated.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
even outside I don't trust it haha. but it looms like a fun way to do things. too bad I can soak my floor pan... I got some rust under the carpet.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM
roosplash
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigzirb
Wade that looks great, I am thinking of setting up a bigger one with a large rubbermaid tub. I was told not to use a 55 gallon drum (if its metal) because it will be consumed in the process and start to leak. I'd use a 55 gal plastic drum but I already have the rubbermaid.
Gruesome, that is why you set it up outside where it is well ventilated.
You are correct. A metal drum will be consumed in the process. I used a plastic drum and heavy metal construction cloth for the interior grid

Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by roosplash
You are correct. A metal drum will be consumed in the process. I used a plastic drum and heavy metal construction cloth for the interior grid
I grabbed a 35 gal rubbermaid tub yesturday. I plan in running some more through the process today. I did a few more things in the bucket, but need more room (bigger parts). The other caliper bracket, shield, and battery tray I've already done were left in for 2 1/2 hours while I was doing other things. Simply awe struck at how wel this works. 2.5 hours and I wiped them off with a rag. That was it, and they looked new except for the battle scares (road debris has hit everything under this truck). Guess I'll try it in a 45 gal trash bucket I have. That will fit a few more things in it. Thanks for the input guys. Saved me from making a mess of my yard with a metal barrel. Ha ha. The wife says thanks too. LOL

Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
I updated my setup to a bigger tank today so I can try some bigger parts tonight.

I even cut the lid to fit on when I am not using the setup so the water doesn't keep evaporating.

Hope everyone is having fun cleaning off their rusted parts the easy way.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
A cover you say
Great idea
This has been the most fun I've ever had cleaning parts. Spreading the know how all over.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
it looks cool. too bad I don't have anything to clean up haha. maybe one day I will refer back to this thread when I find some rusty stuff.

Quick Reply: Easy Rust Removal (Electrolytic)