6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Don't single out Ford for warranty problems anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 905 Likes on 328 Posts
Don't single out Ford for warranty problems anymore

another Shameful day....

Seems bad fuel hurts everyone these days.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Better Filtering Could Save You Big Bucks!

"On June 7th, 2012, we bought diesel fuel from the I-90 Service Plaza (Shell… north side of exit 332) in Mitchell, South Dakota. About 270 miles farther west, in Rapid City, a “REDUCING ENGINE POWER” message was displayed on the instrument panel and the engine shut down to an idle immediately. According to the Rapid City GMC dealership, the filtering system on our 2009 GMC 3500 Duramax passed the contaminated fuel to the injection system, damaging the injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

Even though the fuel from the fuel filter had lots of water in it, the WIF (water in fuel) warning didn’t activate. Absolutely no warning messages or lights were triggered until the REDUCING ENGINE POWER message was displayed seconds before we lost power. With only 32,700 miles on the truck, GMC denied our claim without analyzing the fuel, fuel filter or water sensing system. "

Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
another Shameful day....

Seems bad fuel hurts everyone these days.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Better Filtering Could Save You Big Bucks!

"On June 7th, 2012, we bought diesel fuel from the I-90 Service Plaza (Shell… north side of exit 332) in Mitchell, South Dakota. About 270 miles farther west, in Rapid City, a “REDUCING ENGINE POWER” message was displayed on the instrument panel and the engine shut down to an idle immediately. According to the Rapid City GMC dealership, the filtering system on our 2009 GMC 3500 Duramax passed the contaminated fuel to the injection system, damaging the injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

Even though the fuel from the fuel filter had lots of water in it, the WIF (water in fuel) warning didn’t activate. Absolutely no warning messages or lights were triggered until the REDUCING ENGINE POWER message was displayed seconds before we lost power. With only 32,700 miles on the truck, GMC denied our claim without analyzing the fuel, fuel filter or water sensing system. "
Paging ric, paging ricatic....

Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
GM seemed to be letting the warentee's go through after our tax dollar saved that sad company.
guess they are getting back to their old ways - the days where they'd void your warentee for oversided tires.
Not to say Ford is a prince here, shame on them too for not covering warentee issues.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bad fuel is not a warranty issue. Not for any manufacturer.

This should be good.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Bad fuel is not a warranty issue. Not for any manufacturer.

This should be good.
Agreed. The place that sold them the fuel should be responsible. Can't see how this was GM's fault.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's these posts that freaked me out. The "Bio blend" used so heavily in central IL was also a factor. "This fuel may contain between 5-20% Bio Diesel". Thanks for regulating it so well!

LOL @ Tomahawk

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,061 Likes on 2,214 Posts
I stopped at that station and filled up on our way back from South Dakota. We stopped in Mitchell to see the Corn Palace. It's a really busy fuel station with a lot of semi's. I'm very surprised to hear someone had issues with the fuel from there.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I don't know how you would every prove it was the fuel you bought from a given station. Once you pull off their property and drive 270 miles. How can you prove it was fuel I bought 4 hours ago. I might personally know that I had not added anything else to the tank. But how would you prove it.

It just seems to me that the fuel stop has too many excuse to get out of this. What was already in your fuel tank that mixed with their fuel?
What you might have added in that 270 miles?
What damage ( rust for example) was done with fuel you bought 6 weeks ago and finally just broke loose and flowed through?

Years ago, I got a bad tank of gas in a pick up. I went back to the gas station the next day to complain, and even with my receipt, they basically denied all responsibility because they have no control over your vehicle once it leaves their property. Somebody could have dumped a bottle of water into the tank while I was getting a hamburger for lunch. Unless you can prove that multiple vehicles had the same problem after refueling at a given station in a given time frame. It's impossible to prove.

I can understand the manufactures saying it was beyond their control that we got bad fuel that destroyed the fuel pump or injectors. But at $12,000 per repair, there will have to be something evolve to cover this. There are too many owners out there that can not afford that kind of repair out of pocket. Maybe it will be a better filter system, or riders on our insurance policies to cover such problems. But if enough of these happen, the public will demand a fix and somebody will offer a solution

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 AM
4stroke
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how you would every prove it was the fuel you bought from a given station. Once you pull off their property and drive 270 miles. How can you prove it was fuel I bought 4 hours ago. I might personally know that I had not added anything else to the tank. But how would you prove it.
I had the same thing happen at an ATM. Went to my banks ATM and got a $20.00. Went straight to the 7/11 tried to but a soda and was told the bill was counterfeit.

They kept the bill and I was out 20 bucks. No way to prove it came from the banks ATM.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Well this is interesting.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM
brightideaselectric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems the filter system and the water in fuel system indicator seem to be

Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
brightideaselectric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the front end of these failures.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Hypothetically speaking if this were to become a MAJOR issue…
I guess we're to the point of the DFCM needing to be a mobile laboratory.
We'll never be able to depend on perfect fuel reaching our tanks.
There are too many hands in the process.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody call me????

If one takes the time to read the entire thread...it reveals facts that remove it from a discussion about 6.7 powered Ford's. First, the truck is a 2009 with a CP3 pump...second. the state weights and measures department went to the accused fuel stop and measured the water infiltration in the storage tank. They found more than twice the allowable water depth. This resulted in the OP's insurance company to cover the repair under the comprehensive rider in his policy...and certainly the insurance company will subrogate the fuel stops insurance....

For the record, although I would be incensed that the WIF indicator failed it's duty, I would not be as angry with the truck manufacturer. The OP clearly admits to copius quantities of water. Remember, my truck had no water found in the fuel system...

Regards