Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Freshman User

polarisman is starting off with a positive reputation.
08 escape keyless entry code

guys, i have recently purchased an 08 escape. how do i find the factory set code.? under the hood? behind fuse block? its got to be somewhere accessable. anybody got a sure answer for me? thanks polarisman
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have read that the code is on the GEM label. You could also look in the owners manual for a card with the code printed on it. Worst comes to worst, you can get a dealer or well-equipped locksmith to reset the code. I *think* that the code will revert to factory if power is removed for long enough, though I could not say how long it would take.
tom

On second thought, what happens when the power is removed is the code defaults to the factory setting, and the owner-picked code is forgotten. I think.
tom
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Freshman User

08 escape keyless entry

ok, where would the GEM label be located?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
You have a later model, so you are equipped with a SJB, or Smart Junction Box instead of the earlier GEM, or General Electronic Module. If the SJB has to be replaced, the module configuration information should be uploaded and stored to the scan tool.

The 2007 models have them located in the console. The SJB cover panel, transmission selector lever finish panel, parking brake boot, and floor console finish panel must be removed to gain access to the SJB. I cannot identify the particular panels using the shop manual DVD, so no help there...
tom

I could not find documentation that the entry code was printed on the SJB... I make the guess that the 08 module would be located similarly to the 07 models.

From a web site:
Keyless Entry Keypad

The keyless entry keypad performs the following functions:

* Unlock the driver door
* Unlock all the doors
* Lock all doors
* Release the liftgate glass
* Programs/erases the customer key code
* Enables/disables auto-unlocking
* Enables/disables autolocking
* Illuminates the keyless entry keypad lamp and issues illuminated entry on/off requests

The keypad feature operates independently of key position status, vehicle speed, or transmission position. When a keypad button is pressed, the keypad buttons illuminate to provide better visibility. If the lock all doors command is entered or 5 seconds have elapsed since the last button press, the illumination is turned off.

Each vehicle equipped with a keypad is programmed with a 5-digit entry code. This code is provided to the customer through a wallet card in the Owner's Literature package. In addition, this code is available through a scan tool and is also printed on the SJB label. When entering codes each digit must be entered within 5 seconds of the previous button press.
So there it is in print. Find the SJB, and you can find the factory code.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 08-16-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add guess ... add quoted text
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Freshman User

08 escape keyless entry

ok, thanks,, i also bought an 08 escape for my wife. fortunately, the owners manual had the card with the code . the 08 i helped my daughter get does not have the card with the owners manual. i will attempt to find the module under the dash on the drivers side. i was able to set a unique code for my wifes 08 with no problem. just need to do the same for the daughter. thanks polarisman
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM