1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Ford F1

Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey thanks a lot for the kind words guys.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I too have just read this build from the start and really impressed so a big well done from the UK, bokker.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bokker
Hi, I too have just read this build from the start and really impressed so a big well done from the UK, bokker.
Thanks alot!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

So i have been putting off this second cab corner and doing all the other little things that need to be done to the cab. I fixed a crack that was in the cowl vent hole and did a little to my trans tunnel. I also started on my rain gutters. They really arent that bad except for the bottom edge. I started on the passenger side and welded up the bottom where it was rusted. It didnt turn out too bad. I little filler and it will look pretty good. Hopefully the drivers side will go as easy.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
So the semester is over and i got the best grades so far! I managed a 3.81 GPA. Im pretty happy with that. I havent gotten much done since the last time i posted. Mostly working on taking stuff off of the parts trucks to sell. I actually have now doubled my money invested in those trucks and still have stuff to sell, so im pretty happy with that.

I spent last week getting my 350 ready for the long comute when my job at mack starts next week. Boy these powerstrokes have some big injectors.

I know some of you guys have noticed the tall ceiling in my dads garage. I though i would post a picture of why its so high. I actually took this truck out for a spin today for the first time. Its definitely an experience. I also though id throw a picture up of our big ratchet. Dont really have a reason for that, other than to say that mine is bigger than yours.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Finally got back to working on the truck this weekend. Got the passenger side cab corner finished up. Next up is the giant piece that needs to be welded in on the back cab wall.

My dad set up the crane for memorial day as well. I think it needs a bit bigger flag though. He also should have put the jib on to make it higher.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Nick, the patch and the flag look great!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks doug!

Old 06-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

Well i started on my back cab wall. Got the rust cut out and found some more rust on the back floor. I ran out of metal to patch that so thats all the further i got with the back wall. I did finish the drivers side drip rail, filled an extra hole in the dash, and filled the gas tank hole in the floor. I think im gonna try gluing the patch in as charlie and a few other members pointed out in my other thread.

I also started at Mack this past week. I really enjoy it so far, although getting up so early might get old as the summer goes along.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:29 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
what are you doing for Mack?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Good luck at Mack Truck! Do they usually hire their interns?

The flag looked great! How far could people see it?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
what are you doing for Mack?
I'm there for a summer internship in the engineering department.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by abe
Good luck at Mack Truck! Do they usually hire their interns?

The flag looked great! How far could people see it?
Thanks Abe! A few of the guys here were hired after they interned. I still have two years of college though so I doubt they would offer me anything.

Right past the trees there is a main highway so a lot of people had to have seen it. Probably could see it for a few miles

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
I'm there for a summer internship in the engineering department.
I figured that.
I was looking for something more specific. Do they have you working on a specific part, or on plant processes or something like that?
Or is it too early to tell?
Just curious.
Congrats on getting the internship btw.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
I figured that.
I was looking for something more specific. Do they have you working on a specific part, or on plant processes or something like that?
Or is it too early to tell?
Just curious.
Congrats on getting the internship btw.
Macks are almost infinitely customizable. They have over 200 options on fuel tank configuartions alone. They have a separate engineering department dedicated to doing redesigns for whatever the customer wants. The team im on goes out and fixes any problems that show up on the assembly line. Theres always something the engineers miss when they change something. We also are resposible for alot of the tooling on the line and any other problem on the line, like parts that are wong or dont fit. So far, alot of calls have been assembly error, which can get annoying. My job for the summer is help roll out a new software to keep track of all the problems that come up. Right now they just have radios and supervisors on the line call us to come out, and they dont have a good way of keeping track of it. This new software will allow the supervisors to enter a problem and a severity rating that will get sent to the engineers on my team. Since mack has zero automation, there are alot of calls. Theres already been 8 today, and we were way busier last week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 49 Ford F1