1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Ford F1

Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Nick,
Yep that looks pretty tight up front - no room at present. Hmmmm..
That looks like the original radiator & it's huge & probably pretty inefficient by today's standards. You may need to replace that anyway to cool your 429(?). Radiators are pretty cheap - I think we paid under $400 for our's & it looks a lot smaller than what you have there. We also run a transmission cooler off the new radiator as well - that's nice to have. I think they also make slim profile water pumps as well.

I don't have any experience with a "pusher" electric fan. That may be a good question for the Forum just to see - maybe they work fine.

Hang in there & good luck with school with this semester.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
I was planning on getting a new radiator and was just using this one as a mock up. The tank was replaced at some point in its life with one twice the size, which kinda makes it looks huge. Ill see what the dimensions of this one are and compare it to a new radiator though and see if there's a difference.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm surprised you are having clearance problems with an SBC engine. I helped another member here set up mounts for a Ford 302 in his F1 recently which is significantly longer. His truck came to him with a SBC 305 in it, and the PO had moved the radiator about 4" rearwards of the V8 mounting position! Moving his horseshoe to the 6 cyl position gave him lots of room for his electric fan with the heads about 2" from the firewall. Am I correct in assuming you are using the 6 cyl mounting position for the radiator?

You are correct about pusher fans not being as efficient as a puller. They block a significant amount of air from going thru the radiator, plus they make it about impossible to install AC. If you can get some clearance they do make low profile electric fans with the motor offset from center for tight situations.
They also make a short waterpump.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AXracer
I'm surprised you are having clearance problems with an SBC engine. I helped another member here set up mounts for a Ford 302 in his F1 recently which is significantly longer. His truck came to him with a SBC 305 in it, and the PO had moved the radiator about 4" rearwards of the V8 mounting position! Moving his horseshoe to the 6 cyl position gave him lots of room for his electric fan with the heads about 2" from the firewall. Am I correct in assuming you are using the 6 cyl mounting position for the radiator?

You are correct about pusher fans not being as efficient as a puller. They block a significant amount of air from going thru the radiator, plus they make it about impossible to install AC. If you can get some clearance they do make low profile electric fans with the motor offset from center for tight situations.
They also make a short waterpump.
The motor im using is a little bigger than a SBC. Its a 429 big block ford. Yes im using the forward most mounting location for the radiator.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Hate to say it, Nick, but I'm thinking you are at least 3 - 4" too far forward. Better to recognize that now and move it back, than to mickey-mouse a band-aid fix. JMO....

Old 11-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Hate to say it, Nick, but I'm thinking you are at least 3 - 4" too far forward. Better to recognize that now and move it back, than to mickey-mouse a band-aid fix. JMO....
Looking at at all the things that are going to be in the way to move the engine back, i don't think it will be worth it to move it back 2-3 inches and then still have to move the radiator anyway. Ill take another look at everything again, but i have maybe 3 inches before the heads are into the firewall, maybe 4 inched until the brake pedal touches the bell housing and maybe maybe 3 inches until the passenger side header is into the toe board. Moving the engine back from where it is now would entail modifying the firewall around the bell housing, modifying the trans tunnel that's welded to the floor, converting to the mid shift location on the t-56, not to mention cutting out the engine mounts and moving the trans mount. I don't think moving the radiator forward will really be a huge undertaking. Even if i did mount the motor back further to begin with, i think moving the radiator forward would be easier than the firewall mods that would be necessary for it to fit and a whole lot easier than the transmission surgery needed to convert to the mid shift location.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Like I said earlier, I would remove the radiator, install the pullys and fan, and see what you have for clearance with the hood installed. Remove the horizontal bar on the radiator support and make up a box 4" thick by as large as can fit in the space left and find something to fit. Or better yet put a SB chevy in it
I just pulled this quick off ebay for dimensions, there are many sizes and outlet configurations.

New 3 Row 4 Pass Model A Radiator Ford Engine Ford Grill Shells 1928 31 30 29 28 | eBay

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Like I said earlier, I would remove the radiator, install the pullys and fan, and see what you have for clearance with the hood installed. Remove the horizontal bar on the radiator support and make up a box 4" thick by as large as can fit in the space left and find something to fit. Or better yet put a SB chevy in it
I just pulled this quick off ebay for dimensions, there are many sizes and outlet configurations.

New 3 Row 4 Pass Model A Radiator Ford Engine Ford Grill Shells 1928 31 30 29 28 | eBay
I don't currently have any pullies or a fan, so it might be a little while until I get this sorted out.

Hey if I wanted a boat anchor, I would have gone with the chevy.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I read your post this morning, I looked at my rad mount. It looks like you could move it forward 3-4" without interfering with the grill (one thing I didn't look at was any interference between with the hood).

You would need to drill some new holes in the inner fenders to allow the horseshoe mount to support the sides, and make a plate to link the bottom of the horseshoe to the crossmember, but it looks doable. The easiest would be to grab another rad mount (horseshoe), cut the cross brace from the original, weld the new one in front of the old one, then mount the rad to the front horseshoe while using the original (rear) one to keep everything supported in the original mounting positions.

Just random thoughts at 1am.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dmack91
When I read your post this morning, I looked at my rad mount. It looks like you could move it forward 3-4" without interfering with the grill (one thing I didn't look at was any interference between with the hood).

You would need to drill some new holes in the inner fenders to allow the horseshoe mount to support the sides, and make a plate to link the bottom of the horseshoe to the crossmember, but it looks doable. The easiest would be to grab another rad mount (horseshoe), cut the cross brace from the original, weld the new one in front of the old one, then mount the rad to the front horseshoe while using the original (rear) one to keep everything supported in the original mounting positions.

Just random thoughts at 1am.
There's a good thought. i do have an extra radiator saddle from the f4 that i parted out. I was planning on leaving he radiator saddle in the stock location and just building a bracket to hold the radiator forward, but using another saddle as the bracket would be a lot easier.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
There's a good thought. i do have an extra radiator saddle from the f4 that i parted out. I was planning on leaving he radiator saddle in the stock location and just building a bracket to hold the radiator forward, but using another saddle as the bracket would be a lot easier.
Nick if you just rotate the core support as I previously posted, that will give you an additional 1 1/2" by my measurement. If you need more, then you just add spacers as I previously indicated.
As an aside, my stoked sbc "boat anchor" built as a torque motor (dyno'ed at 350hp and 440 torque) which has an engine driven cooling fan has the core support in the rear (V8) location and no changes to the firewall, cab floor or transmission cover.

See pic

Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 49willard
Nick if you just rotate the core support as I previously posted, that will give you an additional 1 1/2" by my measurement. If you need more, then you just add spacers as I previously indicated.
As an aside, my stoked sbc "boat anchor" built as a torque motor (dyno'ed at 350hp and 440 torque) which has an engine driven cooling fan has the core support in the rear (V8) location and no changes to the firewall, cab floor or transmission cover.

See pic

Im gonna try your idea first. If it doesn't work for some reason, ill try what dmack said.

I know chevys are a lot easier to install. Im just a ford in a ford kind of guy, and wanted something different than a small block ford. I was just joking around.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic

So i tried what Bill said and i think ill be ok. With the radiator saddle flipped around i have about an inch of clearance. With the top spaced out about another inch and the radiator brought back to vertical from the forward lean caused by the backwards radiator saddle, i have about 3 inches of clearance. I think ill be ok there with a low profile fan if the center of the fan is not inline with the water pump pulley. If i take a little bit off of the safety latch for the hood, i could also get about another half an inch or so. Im probably gonna make a frame of some sort to mount the radiator to rather than a bunch of spacers to improve strength. No clearance problem with the hood either. The air deflector will most likely even mount in the original location but seal on the back side of the radiator instead of the front.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Nick,
If you decide to use engine driven fan you will want a rearward lean such that the radiator face is at 90 degrees to the crankshaft centerline and therefore the fan tips are equidistant, top and bottom, from the face of the radiator.
I would base my decision on electric vs mechanical driven cooling on how well centered, top to bottom, the fan will be to the radiator. obviously top is better than bottom. I can't tell where the centerline of the fan would come in the radiator from your photos.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 49willard
Nick,
If you decide to use engine driven fan you will want a rearward lean such that the radiator face is at 90 degrees to the crankshaft centerline and therefore the fan tips are equidistant, top and bottom, from the face of the radiator.
I would base my decision on electric vs mechanical driven cooling on how well centered, top to bottom, the fan will be to the radiator. obviously top is better than bottom. I can't tell where the centerline of the fan would come in the radiator from your photos.
Im not sure that there is enough room for a mechanical fan unless i can find a low profile fan clutch. all the ones i can find with measurements listed say that they are 3.33 inches tall, and i only have 3 inches clearance right now.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There's not a enough advantage to having a thermal clutch, enough that I'd go electric. You can easily get a plain old fan in there. I bought an aftermarket 6-blade fan, 18" diameter, and the fan blades are pretty much centered on the mounting flange. If you want I can measure but I think the forward edge of the blades is only an inch forward of the mounting flange face.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 49 Ford F1