1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hi, I got a new work truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very awesome truck! Glad to see another one being put back to use, you'll find it will help your business a lot to have a very distinguishable and beautiful truck. People will look at your business to learn more on the truck where they wouldn't if it was "just a truck".

You can find parts at places like Mid-Fifty or NPD. Thankfully they now reproduce almost everything, I think the chassis is the only thing they don't!

And welcome to FTE Hopefully you found this topic after they moved it, lol

Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Heater51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet looking truck! Way to dive in head first with the classic truck.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
And welcome to FTE Hopefully you found this topic after they moved it, lol
That wouldn't be a problem, there should still be notices to replies.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello, and another welcome!!

That is a cool truck...I think it'll be good for business!!

Dan

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
TimeMachine
New User
Thanks glruff for moving my post, I had meant to put it here. I appreciate the help!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
TimeMachine
New User
Originally Posted by dynamic

Glad to see you picked that truck up. Now just remember... Just becasue your going to use the truck as a work truck, dont let it fall into dis-repair or neglect her when she needs some tlc.
Definitely going to take care of this truck, promises, it's truly one of a kind... plus I have been needing a real truck (I've been using the family Jetta wagon as my gardening "truck'! Drives my husband nuts, he loves a clean car.), so it'll be kept running.

I have a growing list of things to repair/replace/consider!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
TimeMachine
New User
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm pretty geeked out about the truck and do think it'll be great marketing for my business. Plus I'll never have to wish for a bigger truck! I'd been puzzling over how to make a strong 1st impression and set myself apart from the mow-n-blow services, since my horticultural skills and work are quite a bit different. The second I saw this fab work truck I knew I had a great way to make it clear. Eventually I'll have my business name on the doors and the truck will be a roving advertisement too. Sorry if painting on the doors bothers some of you! If it's any consolation I did have a new logo designed in a mid-century style, it'll look great and be done very respectfully.

Thanks for the mirror advice and ideas. I was originally just going to replace the corroded 5" mirrors and see how the visibility was. Though I have been worried about being able to safely maneuver onto expressways (no I'm not taking this big, slow, precious truck on any 65 mph+ freeways) and drive around clients' fancy neighborhoods (lots of luxury vehicles) with those little mirrors.

I got the 5" wide angle mirrors from Mid-Fifty, they said to break out the old ones and pop in the new. That just doesn't work. I called and was told they'd get back to me once they had a chance to try it with original mirror frames. I'm guessing it's easier to do with modern reproductions. I haven't heard back from Mid-Fifty.

A few of you said I should have glued them on. It would have worked fine, but the raw mirror edge would have been exposed, which seems like it'd chip up easily. Too late now anyway, since I smashed out the old ones first.

Anyone want the old mirror frames? I won't be needing them since I'm getting new mirror heads now. More on that in a bit!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
TimeMachine
New User
That's what those are called!

Originally Posted by raytasch
Unless you're bent on making it look completely original consider some "west coast" type mirrors. There is just no comparison, IMO, in the additional visibility of the larger mirrors with the convex stick ons or the separate wide angle mirrors. I've driven both. FWIW, the Ford script west coast types show up on ebay once in a while.
I had been thinking about installing this style, but had no idea what the west coast mirrors were called. For now I'm going to try and work with the existing, original stems. I'd rather not put any holes in the doors for the larger mirror brackets if I don't have to. But ya, function over form will win the day, safety 1st.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome - Go find a big truck stop, they usually have an accessory section that will make you drool - Truckers like mirrors so you should find something that will work.

That being said I know you asked how to get the new mirrors into your old heads - Usually when doing a press fit it involves heating one part (The head) and cooling the other part (Mirror) - Glass doesn't respond well to rapid temp changes so I would try heating the head at about 200-225 degrees for twenty minutes or so and the try pressing the mirror in place (The dangerous part of this process is convincing your other half to use the oven for car parts)

Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
HeavytruckFan
New User
Thumbs up

Awwwwwsome truck! I just got a new one (1954 F-350-dumpbed) also, but it does not look near as good as yours.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Does your truck have a large STOP brake light in the middle of your rear? It looks like that in the one picture... if so, pretty cool!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeMachine
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm pretty geeked out about the truck and do think it'll be great marketing for my business. Plus I'll never have to wish for a bigger truck! I'd been puzzling over how to make a strong 1st impression and set myself apart from the mow-n-blow services, since my horticultural skills and work are quite a bit different. The second I saw this fab work truck I knew I had a great way to make it clear. Eventually I'll have my business name on the doors and the truck will be a roving advertisement too. Sorry if painting on the doors bothers some of you! If it's any consolation I did have a new logo designed in a mid-century style, it'll look great and be done very respectfully.
A very wise business idea. People everywhere love the old trucks, especially if they look as good as yours. I think you will get tons of attention, and work from having it. Those big trucks look great with business names on the doors - that is what they are for!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Rather than painting on the doors, which is ok too, the signs could be painted on the dump box sides or use removable magnetic signs for the doors. Just some options to consider.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great looking truck--Now that's what I call "Hauling in Style", you're always welcome on my job site. Oops, nearly forgot---Welcome to FTE-- a great bunch of folks
Mike

Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
TimeMachine
New User
Originally Posted by abe
I have been looking for an F350 flatbed dump to use for a yard work, mulch hauler/brushhauler, etc for some time now. Can I ask how much you paid for it?
Well, it's in very good condition, was always cared for etc., so it wasn't super cheap. I paid $7,500 for it, plus almost $400 for a shop to install seat belts.

It does need a new paint job (going with the same color scheme though) and I want to rebuild the redwood bed sides, taller for more hauling and tool attachment points.

I've done some work with handy neighbors helping, but need to take it to a mechanic for a thorough look over. I still haven't driven it far or onto an expressway.

Good luck on your truck search!

Quick Reply: Hi, I got a new work truck