Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior User

Hunter40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
100,000 miles

Nothing spectacular but I just rolled over 100,000 miles yesterday while pulling my 15,000 pound fiver. Today the truck pulls just like it did yesterday. It's as strong as it ever was. Only replaced one radiator and one egr on this engine. I'm on my second set of Goodyears but need another set soon. Oil replaced every 5000 miles fuel filters every 10,000 miles. Replaced air filter at 50,000 miles and again today. One windshield replaced along the way. Original manual transmission, clutch, and brakes.

Had oil sampled by Blackstone along the way. Engine always shows higher than normal wear metals, probably because it's always hooked up to the fiver, and it usually has 2-4 % fuel in the oil.
2004 XLT Sport 6.0l, TS- Buyback
2002 XLT 7.3l, 6 speed- Sold
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
My wear metals are always a bit higher for the same reason.

Good show!

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to all
Congrats, that's a good story to hear.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Great positive story! That should give some of us some hope to be able to join the 100K club.

And if I may point out the Titan fuel tank in which some were noticing to be a common denominator for HPFP failures.
2010 F250 FX4 King Ranch 6.4L, SWB, 3.55 H&S Mini Maxx, S&B CAI, 4" Powerstroker67 downpipe, 4" aFe Exhaust, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Rancho Steering Stabikizer, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior User

Hunter40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah no problem with my Titan tank. If I ever buy another truck that will be one of the first mods. It's amazing how much $ you can save with the Internet to find best prices along your journey and an extra big fuel tank.
Hunter40
2004 XLT Sport 6.0l, TS- Buyback
2002 XLT 7.3l, 6 speed- Sold
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Posting Guru

golfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud of
Thanks for the encouraging post! I love hearing the 'good' things about our trucks....
Not to derail the thread but, is it the condensation in the tank when it is not full that is causing water to ruin the HPFP?
2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ weighing in at 15k
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Thanks for the encouraging post! I love hearing the 'good' things about our trucks....
Not to derail the thread but, is it the condensation in the tank when it is not full that is causing water to ruin the HPFP?
Shouldn't be, the tanks made of some sort of composit plastic. I've had no problems with mine in 50,000 miles.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
Shouldn't be, the tanks made of some sort of composit plastic. I've had no problems with mine in 50,000 miles.
Even plastic tanks can get condensation.

Just sitting there, the temperature changes and air will move in or out of the tank.

Air has humidity.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
Even plastic tanks can get condensation.

Just sitting there, the temperature changes and air will move in or out of the tank.

Air has humidity.
In Georgia air has a lot of humidity.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Posting Guru

golfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud ofgolfmedik has much to be proud of
That's the reason I asked the question and the reason I try to keep all diesel tanks as full as possible, to reduce the amount of condensation. Just wondered if anyone else did the same.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
That's the reason I asked the question and the reason I try to keep all diesel tanks as full as possible, to reduce the amount of condensation. Just wondered if anyone else did the same.
I do.....unless im on a road trip, I fill mine every sunday. I dont drive it alot during the week, since I have a company truck.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I always keep mine full, theres lots of good reasons to keep it full anyways.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Post Fiend

A good invention would be to use a sealed fuel cap, and run a 1/4" vent hose, where the hose end flows air over an AC cooled heat exchanger, and has a small rubber bladder.

When the vehicle runs, it would freeze that heat exchanger, then allow air to freely enter into the fuel tank, once dried.

When the vehicle is sitting, it would expand and contract air into that bladder.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Lead Foot User

Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2738 View Post
And if I may point out the Titan fuel tank in which some were noticing to be a common denominator for HPFP failures.
I'll throw in my 2 cents and share my doubts that the Titan tank has anything to do with any HPFP failures. I think it would be smarter to note that almost everyone that has a Titan tank puts lots of miles on their trucks. Over these miles I'd say it's quite likely that they've come across some crap fuel at a random station that lead to the HPFP failure. That to me would make a lot more sense. I know it's just what you've heard and is their thought but I wanted to point out the other side to that coin. Thanks

And congrats to the OP on the milestone. Hopefully you can post the same great review when you hit 200K!!

2015 F350 CC/LB Platinum - On Order
2013 F150 FX4 Luxury Package w/Ecoboost - Totalled
2008 F350 CC FX4 6.4 PSD, Spartan, Modded - SOLD
2011 Armada 8 pass Platinum Edition - Stock
2012 CanAm Commander, 2014 SkiDoo Summit
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon D View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents and share my doubts that the Titan tank has anything to do with any HPFP failures. I think it would be smarter to note that almost everyone that has a Titan tank puts lots of miles on their trucks. Over these miles I'd say it's quite likely that they've come across some crap fuel at a random station that lead to the HPFP failure. That to me would make a lot more sense. I know it's just what you've heard and is their thought but I wanted to point out the other side to that coin. Thanks

And congrats to the OP on the milestone. Hopefully you can post the same great review when you hit 200K!!
I don't doubt that one bit. I was just repeating what the blue oval folks have said in looking for an excuse. I am sure more than a couple of in ground tanks have water leaking into them.
AS for the OP, my work truck('08 F450 6.4L) made it to 114K and then lost the engine due to a bad oil cooler. The truck averaged a little over 20mph during its life. AS you can tell it idled A LOT and took a lot of abuse. Still very proud of it. If you had a way to convert the time to mileage, I am very sure it would be nearing, if not more than 200k of run time. I still love the 6.4s.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel