Southern Region Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Lousiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.

Army wife in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 PM
creole_69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Army wife in need of help

Hi Everyone,

I need help with my 2001 Expy. 4.6 liter. I am in the Fort Stewart,Ga. area. I took it to Ford for a diagnosis because it was misfiring. Ford said "No codes, defective coil-on plug". And said it would be about $300 to fix my problem.(Is that expensive?) My question is does anyone know what I need to buy? Also what kind of spark plugs do I need? I have over 100,000 miles should I have a tune up also? I've been looking through the forums and it seems like Ford is awfully expensive compared to what I'm reading in the forums. I'd like to take it to a local mechanic in the area, but I would like to buy the parts & accessories that I may need. My husband is deployed this is our only transportation and I'm trying my best to make the right decisions on this. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya hun - my daughter is an Army wife also, her husband left FT. Hood two weeks ago for, a year? ... ...

1. I can not tell you what you "need" (or if it is "expensive"?) from the dealer's DX, but I can tell you that the dealer WILL BE MORE expensive 75-99% of the time as opposed to most other shops. If they (the Ford dealer) say "$300" chances are good that you can get it done for $200-$250 "elsewhere". PROBLEM #1 = "elsewhere". Do you know any competent (= "good/decent/honest") techs or mechanics there near FT. Stewart? In a case where you do not know someone else, a dealer is usually worth the extra money for the obvious reasons. But I am "CERTAIN" that if you can hang-in here a bit, SOMEONE here will be able to get you to a good and decent mechanic within a reasonable distance (maybe within 10 or 15 miles?)

2. Do you have any records of work done on this vehicle? That is a BIG (and usually Best) indicator for what you need. As far as a "tune-up", again, records would tell us what needs replacement. You "probably" do need (spark) plugs because what that vehicle originally had (probably still has) were/are 100,000 mile platinum plugs. It sounds like you need to replace the Plug (Ignition) wires (which includes the "coil" plug) also. These (plug/coil/ignition wires) are one of the easiest parts on a vehicle to change. They come in sets so you don't replace just one, besides, it's really nice and convenient to replace them at the same time with the Plugs.

I personally would buy my tune-up parts there at the dealer (but check with your mechanic FIRST to see if he/she will use parts that you bring to them - virtually all will (especially if you bring "OEM" [Original Equipment Manufacturer], but of course they will not be covered under the "parts" clause of any warranty with your mechanic as opposed to buying the mechanics parts). Buying the parts at the dealer will be simplest - if you wish to get them yourself (getting everything from ONE place that has EXACTLY what you want/need), and that way you know you're getting the latest and greatest of pretty much everything parts-wise (I am a big believer in using stock Ford parts on/in my Ford's whenever/wherever possible). You may find them cheaper (less expensive) "elsewhere", but you may have to run all over the place to get everything you need. Save yourself the time and hassle (and the gas).

There are a lot of other things that can be done that fall under the heading of "Tune-Up", but generally and basically, if the Air Filter is more than a year (and the vehicle has been driven all during that year) or 15,000 miles old, it should most likely be replaced, and the Fuel Filter, I generally go two years or 30,000 miles - whichever comes first.

If the oil (and oil filter) hasn't been changed in 4 or 5 months or 4 or 5000 miles it's "due" - git `er dun!!! Tire pressure and wear should be checked monthly (at least) - visual inspection and a simple tire air pressure gauge will do.

In the fall you'll need to make sure the battery is clean and that the coolant/antifreeze is "good" for winter (when it's over two years/30,000 miles it will lose most of its ability to resist corrosion - though it WILL continue to protect against boil-overs and freeze-ups if it is a 50/50 concentration (with water) - but best to avoid the corrosion which WILL cause many more problems down the road).

I wish I could be more helpful, but without knowing the vehicle's maintenance/repair history, this is the best I can do for now.

Best,
Glenn

Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by creole_69
Hi Everyone,

I need help with my 2001 Expy. 4.6 liter. I am in the Fort Stewart,Ga. area. I took it to Ford for a diagnosis because it was misfiring. Ford said "No codes, defective coil-on plug". And said it would be about $300 to fix my problem.(Is that expensive?) My question is does anyone know what I need to buy? Also what kind of spark plugs do I need? I have over 100,000 miles should I have a tune up also? I've been looking through the forums and it seems like Ford is awfully expensive compared to what I'm reading in the forums. I'd like to take it to a local mechanic in the area, but I would like to buy the parts & accessories that I may need. My husband is deployed this is our only transportation and I'm trying my best to make the right decisions on this. Thanks!

I'm sure you have corrected your problem by now,but if you are still using FTE and read this: the next time you need work done,check with your base motor pool. There should be Men or Women who can fix it or tell you who can. Women around here(Fort Benning) who have Their Husband deployed are taken care of by the Base or by the City(Col.) I would like to think, the same of Fort Stewart. Sorry I could'nt be more help

Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Family support group should be able to direct you in the right direction. Army emergency relief should be able to help too. Ft Stewart has a great program, use to be stationed there. The auto craft shop can either do it for you or help you find a local mechanic. Never take it to a dealer unless you really have too.