Needs to be links to threads discussing the FTE articles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 08:54 AM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Needs to be links to threads discussing the FTE articles

The "Fords best V8 engines" article, for example...
I take a little offense by the list.
No mention of the 4.6? It is one of the best, most reliable, longest-lasting engines Ford has ever built.
It is arguably, a little low on power for a full size truck, but for my needs, it gets the job done.
I've got a 2002 Supercrew with 235k on it, and it shows no signs of stopping... For that matter, I've rebuilt the front suspension, replaced the plugs and coils, and the alternator. A couple new lock actuators and window regulators, and that's about it all I've had to do to it since I bought it with 80k on it.
My previous vehicles rarely made it much past 125k before the engines were needing rebuilt.
I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a Lincoln Navigator I can get cheap to rebuild the engine for my truck when the time does come. 5.4 DOHC engine. Direct bolt-in swap but a little more power.

Last edited by IndySilverAnny; 01-08-2024 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2024, 11:55 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 752 Likes on 686 Posts
Originally Posted by IndySilverAnny
The "Fords best V8 engines" article, for example...
I take a little offense by the list.
No mention of the 4.6? It is one of the best, most reliable, long-lasting engines Ford has ever built.
It is arguable, a little low on power for a full size truck, but for me needs, gets the job done.
I've got a 2002 Supercrew with 235k on it, and it shows no signs of stopping... For that matter, I've rebuilt the front suspension, replaced the plugs and coils, and the alternator. Add on new lock actuators and window regulators, and that's about it all I've had to do to it since I bought it with 80k on it.
My previous vehicles rarely made it much past 125k before the engines were needing rebuilt.
I think I saw that article, and yeah I noticed that the 4.6 was missing. They put 4.6's in 8-lug Econolines and F-150s and police cars and Mustangs and even a bunch of Explorers. The only really bad issue that I know of is that coolant crossover business. They got beat senseless a lot of their lives and quietly kept working. Amazing that there was no mention of it.

Originally Posted by IndySilverAnny
I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a Lincoln Navigator I can get cheap to rebuild the engine for my truck when the time does come. Same engine, but a little more power.
I think all V-8 Navigators got the 5.4 which, in my humble opinion, is an okay engine as well . . . if the timing chain/guide/phaser issues can be kept under control. So many of those went and go to the boneyard because of these issues.