EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

2012 F150 EB Knocking felt through steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 AM
F250GH
Tuned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatroM
My 2012 FX4 is doing the same thing. I felt it the day I drove it off the lot, only has 1500 miles on it. I feel it more if I hold the wheel at the bottom instead of top.
Same here. The knock, rattle, clunk, whatever you want to call it, definitely is felt more from the bottom of the steering wheel. This is going straight, not turning, as the dealer tried to tell me was normal.
The more people with this problem that call Ford, the better off we all will be. They said to me they haven't had any complaints.
Ford Customer Care 866-631-3788

Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Jennyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatroM
My 2012 FX4 is doing the same thing. I felt it the day I drove it off the lot, only has 1500 miles on it. I feel it more if I hold the wheel at the bottom instead of top.
My truck is doing same thing since I drive it off lot new. Could feel a knock more at bottom of steering wheel ad driving around 20-50km/hr. Worse if going over bumps. Driving straight.Salesman said nope can't be anything wrong it's brand new. Finally after months they decided it was a faulty steering column but by then we had filled out new car survey (not nicely) so they told us to go to a different dealership. Another dealership disnt feel it and thus didnt want to mess with it. Truck is now 6 mos old.
Took truck to new dealership and they definitely felt it. Called ford hotline and they recommended a balance. They did and I must admit it helped a bit but still very obvious. They called the hotline again and they said it must be due to the 20inch tires. Bahahah just hope if something goes very wrong it does it before warranty up but so frustrating at the same time

Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM
F250GH
Tuned

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
F250GH
Tuned

I recommend that all owners that experience the knocking through the steering wheel file a complaint with the NTSB here.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
I found this info on another F150 forum that has numerous owner complaints. All owners are being told the same thing from the dealer, (everything is normal), because Ford does not have fix for it yet. There have been Ford vehicles that have lost steering as a result of the rack assemblies being used.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Firepower
New User
My 2012 F150 Screw 4x4 has the exact same issue with the EPAS. The "clunk" began at 1200 mi. and can be felt more on warm days (80 degrees plus) and the front end feels like it has worn out ball joints. I have posted a video on You Tube of the noise that is clearly coming out of the steering rack. Here's a link -
As of this morning, the video is now in the hands of the Engineers at the Dearborn Truck plant. Ford definitely knows that a production run of these racks were defective. How do I know that? They told me. I recommend that any member here experiencing this problem go to the F150forum.com and read the last few pages of the sticky thread regarding the steering/popping issue. VERY informative and well worth your time.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
akbansmok
New User
My 1999 Ford 250 Super Duty, 7.3, 220,000 miles, has developed a slight pull to the right as I drive straight, and a light knocking noise as I turn left, whether its a tight turn or a slight curve in the road. This has just started. I don't put on more than 8,000 miles on it now
1999 Ford F250 7.3 L, Super Duty, 220,000 miles. I started feeling a slight pull to the right and a slight knocking noise as I turn left, whether or not its a tight turn or a slight turn as I drive on the highways. I have no vibration, just something that makes you feel aware that I might have a problem once we get on the road with our 5th wheel camper. I recently purchased this truck from my neighbor as he retired to a house instead of a camper. This truck has never been in any snow so it looks like in new condition.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
kl67
Freshman User
Doing my research to take my truck back to the dealer for exactly the issue discussed in this thread. 15-50 MPH straight or curved road, bottom of the steering wheel I feel a constant knocking when going over very minor imperfections in the road. Same road can be driven in the morning without knocking but in the heat of the day in FL, the same road produces knocking.

Purchased my 2013 Platinum brand new and now has 8K on it. Problem didn't start until 5K. Also noticed the front tires (outside two rows of tread) were getting chewed up like the front end was out of alignment. Took the truck to both my closest dealership and the dealer I purchased it from. Closest dealer simply hooked it up to the laser in the service lane and called it good. The dealer I purchased it from balanced the front tires...WOW! I guess Ford and balancing the tires to fix problems is like the Navy and Motrin for illnesses. They didn't even rotate the tire to see if the problem stopped!

I rotated the tires 1500 miles ago and they are showing the same wear. Going back to the dealer with the tire issue and the knocking. My position is, if it didn't start until the odometer hit 5,000 miles then something is worn out and you can start changing parts until it stops!

Glad FL has a lemon law and if nothing else this problem will hurt my resale value...so it will qualify.

KL67

Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM
potatohillguy
New User
I have the same problem on my 2013 f150 and now i have it on my 2014 f150 only does it on what i call chatter bumps i do have a leveling kit installed if i thought Ford could figure it out i would bring it back i have 1600 miles on truck probably my last Ford truck

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 AM
kl67
Freshman User
Originally Posted by potatohillguy
I have the same problem on my 2013 f150 and now i have it on my 2014 f150 only does it on what i call chatter bumps i do have a leveling kit installed if i thought Ford could figure it out i would bring it back i have 1600 miles on truck probably my last Ford truck
I took my truck to two different dealers here in Jacksonville, FL. The dealer I purchased the truck from could not duplicate it....BS! Took it to the dealer by my house and had the service manager drive it on the road I hear/feel it on everyday and he felt it. Made an appointment and dropped my truck off to only be told the technician could not feel it. NEITHER service manage had ever heard of a steering knock problem in these trucks. I gave them the link to this website so they could get educated. Still no help...

Contacted Dearborn through a forum member on this website. She knew exactly what the problem was and shipped the rack within 2 days! She was the first person I have met that cared if I am happy or not. The dealer replaced it and I have not had a problem over the fall/winter to this point (3,000miles). I can only hope that the summer heat does not bring the knock back. If it does I will go for the lemon law in FL, I am exhausted trying to get Ford to fix my truck on many issues. This will be my last Ford as well, the finish work is substandard, the maintenance "fight" is just not what I want to deal with every time I have a problem. Ford has always been this way, I had a 2005 Powerstroke that I could not get fixed and sold it cause I was tired of the fight, I am pissed I purchase another one....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me....I had a 2012 Tundra I wish I had back...

Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM
potatohillguy
New User
w
what was the rack that fixed the problem?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 PM
kl67
Freshman User
w

what was the rack that fixed the problem?
The steering rack/EPAS, take a look at the discussion titled "steering wheel pops over bumps/rough terrain" in the late model 2009-2014 section. 130+ pages about this very topic.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Slimcubby
5th Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss9F100
I am not sure if I could post the TSB's here but would be happy to provide you with it if you send me an email.

I would think the knock/rattle you are experiencing should be a easy find. I have seen a couple lower A arms that have come loose. Check the bolts for tightness on all suspension: Lower A arms front and rear bolts, upper and lower ball joint nuts, upper A arm bolts and also the upper shock/strut bolts and the lower shock bolt (that one is a WHOPPING 405 ft lbs) I would also check the steering rack bolts and the tie rod bolts along with tie rod adjusters to make sure everything is tight. Absolutely no doubt that I would find the problem & do not understand why the dealer is not doing as such. If something is not found doing above then they need to get serious in checking ball joint movement etc. The TSB for front driveshaft yoke can give a lot of feedback. I would also have that done/checked. Also I would check the 3bolts that hold the left engine mount to frame, the 2 bolts that hold the right engine mount to frame along with the 2 thru bolts that hold engine mount to frame mount and also check the 4 bolts that hold the engine mount to engine, That is about all that is up there other than caliper or hub/spindle bolts. There are also tests for the Electronic Assist Steering. It is such a simple and easy to work on system it should not be an issue. Absolutely no reason you should be going thru what you have been. I can supply you with what you need to do it yourself if the dealer does not care. I worked in a Ford dealer 27yrs ago and when Issue's like this arose I never gave up even if FORD did not have a fix and it was a known problem. In the end I always figured them out. A lot of times even though I knew what fix was needed Fomoco would not fix.

I Almost forgot about the sway bar link bolts upper and lower and also the sway bar frame bolts. Now that I think of it that would be the first thing I looked at just because of the design on how they go together! (when you attempt to tighten them because of locknut the entire thing turns and there is really not much of a place to grab to torque) (both top and bottom of swaybar link has a nyloc nut) Swaybar frame mount has a plate with 2 studs that go down then nyloc nuts, just check everything yourself so nothing gets missed.
Bringing back an old thread here because I am having the same issues. I even hear clunk/knock sounds when reversing at full lock coming out of a parking spot for example. How do I get ahold of these TSB's so I can bring in to my dealer.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Slimcubby
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Slimcubby
Bringing back an old thread here because I am having the same issues. I even hear clunk/knock sounds when reversing at full lock coming out of a parking spot for example. How do I get ahold of these TSB's so I can bring in to my dealer.
Any help here?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Slimcubby
5th Wheeling
I have my truck at the dealership today for the second time to find out why I occasionally feel a tick in the steering.

I also have an additional problem with the front end suspension where when I am reversing and turn the wheel there is a binding sound that does not sound normal.