1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 Ford COE C600 engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1955 Ford COE C600 engine upgrade

I have a 1955 Ford C600 with an original 272 Y block V8 and want to upgrade to something with more power, but want to keep the cab in tact (shifter, brake, etc) and avoid a transmission or diff swap ideally.

Will anything else bolt up to this transmission which has more power or is there an adapter available?

If not, what transmission and engine replacement would you recommend to keep revs right with this rear end?

Thanks...

Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure on other engines other than the 312. There may well be a Lincoln industrial Y-block that will bolt up. Adapters out there for most everything now.

Would love to see some pic's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Not sure on other engines other than the 312. There may well be a Lincoln industrial Y-block that will bolt up. Adapters out there for most everything now.

Would love to see some pic's
Thanks for the quick reply - see pic attached:

Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
As far as direct bolt in with basically identical looks, any more powerful Y-block will work. Depending on how stock you want things to look, and how much money you want to spend, a 292 or 312 will probably be just the ticket.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
As far as direct bolt in with basically identical looks, any more powerful Y-block will work. Depending on how stock you want things to look, and how much money you want to spend, a 292 or 312 will probably be just the ticket.
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind if the engine is not a Y block and does look different, but I presume it won't mount up to the transmission unless it is a Y block? Not sure if there is adapters or what my best options are for power?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
gsriley1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also got a C600!

I've also got a C600. I'm not sure what engine I have, but think it might be a 256ci. I'm also interested in repowering mine. I've looked at everything from a built Y-Block to a 6.0 Vortec.

I've also got a '26 TT One-ton too.

I'd be interested in anything you come up with for yours.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Man that's cool looking.

How much more power are you looking to get? You can get pretty decent power from a Y-block with better exhaust, a better carb and distributor.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Originally Posted by gsriley1
I've also got a C600. I'm not sure what engine I have, but think it might be a 256ci. I'm also interested in repowering mine. I've looked at everything from a built Y-Block to a 6.0 Vortec.

Thanks,
Greg
Thanks Greg, will let you know what I go with. Would love to hear any knowledge or thoughts you have gained along the way...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Man that's cool looking.

How much more power are you looking to get? You can get pretty decent power from a Y-block with better exhaust, a better carb and distributor.
Thanks Stephen, what suggestions do you have on carb and dizzy, as I need a new carb for the stock motor, so happy to try that first...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM
gsriley1
New User
Mainly just want to run down the interstate at 70mph comfortably. Right now I have trouble maintaining 62mph at redline of 3,600 rpm. The transmission was originally a five speed with single speed rear end. The previous owner switched to a 4-speed with two speed rear. The Y-Block runs smooth, and only used a little over one quart of oil on an 800 mile trip from St. Louis to Houston.
I've thought about electronic ingnition, aluminum intake, etc. to pump the power up. Mainly it suffer from very little torque.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What you can do on the freeway is more about how you are geared. Where you having torque problems on the freeway or with stop and go driving?

If it's in town, you'll probably want a whole different set up. I'm not sure if you're geared the same as my 2 speed is, but I'm at 5.83/8.11. I used the 5.83 for driving around town, probably can't go past 65 (though I was getting pretty redlined when I was going 45!). Now the tire size effects a great deal, I have 37" wide tires, but still 5.83 is considered a whole lot of gear.

I looked into several powertrain options, with tires around 37"s 4.10 or 4.56 is actually a better set up if you have an engine with a little more power. Modern trucks are geared that way with that tire size. The problem is these old engines don't have a whole lot of torque or horsepower, so they use a lot more gearing to make more power to move the truck.

For example:
200lbs torque x 3:1 transmission gear x 5:1 rear gear = 3000lbs (before tires are considered)

400lbs torque x 3:1 transmission gear x 3:1 rear gear = 3600lbs torque to move the truck

Having more power from the engine means you can run a higher gear. A higher gear works the engine less at the same RPMs, so you can go faster (not quicker like 0-60, but faster like top speed)

Finding that ideal rear ratio can be a little bit of work. You need to know your tire size, your transmission and your engine's ideal RPM at 65mph. Ok, you don't need to know the transmission and engine RPM, but if you do you will be more optimized, have better power through your gears and better MPG. It's worth looking into.

I love my Y-block, I really do... but it is a limited engine. It hasn't been made for a very long time and cost more to build bigger power. Usually having one with 300hp is seriously modified, even a very heavy modified one doesn't usually get more than 250hp.

I have looked A LOT into powertrain routes for my truck. My build is quite a bit different but I researched a lot of options and routes.

The biggest question with everything is: What exactly do you want to do with the truck.

The better you know the answer to that, the better it can be built for that. Strictly highway? Tow rig? Cruising around town? Daily driver? Daily driver in the winter [if you get snow]? Concour? Garage queen? Show truck? Work horse? ect...

Then there are personal tastes, like how important is it to have a gas engine? Diesels sound way different and are very different engines, but they have many benefits worth looking into. But that's a whole different ball game, but one a couple of us have done or are doing. But it all really depends on what you want to use it for, diesel is expensive, so if the truck is used once a month to get groceries, it's not really the best route. All depends on what you want out the truck.

And that's a beautiful COE by the way. Is it shorter like the first photo or with the bed on it in the second now?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:17 AM
dpelacchi
Trailering
Thanks for the comments Stephen. Mine is the first truck and Greg who has a similar question to mine is the second truck. Any advice on carby/dizzy recommendations to give instant better power would be appreciated. Mine will be a cruiser, but also used to pull a 5th wheeler on highway running. I have original trans and rear gearing in mine, but will be going to 24 inch rims with low profile tires. I can't comment on revs as we havn't even got it running yet and hence my consideration to ditch it and swap something else in if any easy options for a later sized big block or bigger small block that will bolt up to this transmission. I am new to this game and just got this truck, so not experienced with it as yet. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I saw and looked over very closely a 1955 F-350 where the man had replaced the Y block with a 351W and C6. There were no major modifications required. Engine mounts and the transmission mount cross member are available and everything sat above the original rear engine cross member. He had also installed a later 4:10 ratio rear end I think it was. I believe him when he said it would haul a loaded trailer down the road 70 MPH and not get in a strain.
My point is that it went into the F-350 regular cab WO structural modifications. I would think this installation would not be that difficult into a COE chassis.
Although I am a big Y block fan, I don't believe you could modify one to get what I think you're after, torque, speed, power, and reliability.

JMHO

Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM
andrewfrazier
New User
that's a nice c600

Originally Posted by gsriley1

Thanks,
Greg
I'm wanting to build one of these trucks to haul my 62 fairlane to car shows but I'm gonna go with a 12valve 5.9 Cummins with a Allison 6 speed trans... I'm looking for a set of steps for a1955 c600 mine are rusted and damaged....if you know of anything let me know please...Thanks Andrews

Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That AA is so cool. But prolly dry rotted cab frame.
Nice tailor queen. Don't let it get wet. Be worse
than Gremlins.