1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

disc brake conversion-no pedal-what am I doing wrong?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM
jxnslotcar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question disc brake conversion-no pedal-what am I doing wrong?

Last week I installed Speedway's disc brake conversion kit on my truck. I was able to remove the stock master cylinder and the line down to the 3 way block. The 3 way block had 2 lines going to front drums and 1 going to rear drums. I took the block out and utilized the 3 lines. I was going to install the CPP master cyl/8in booster but found that the booster would not bolt up with the brackets that I have. The brackets were for a 55 Chevy that i was going to install the setup on but sold the Chevy.
So I took the master cyl and installed that using the stock push rod and then got the new Wilwood propotioning adjustible valve and installed that as well. So I have the now manual master cylinder on the firewall with 2 lines going to the proportioning valve-the front part going to the rear and the rear of the master cylinder going to the front of the valve. So that is hooked up correctly and then I have the individual lines going down to the 3 lines that were hooked to the stock block. 2of the lines go to the front disc and the 1 line goes to the rear drums. I have adjusted the valve both ways and still can not get a good brake pedal.Manual brakes would be OK for now if I could get them to stop. At the moment,the only way to get brakes is to start pumping the pedal. We have bled the brakes and get a big long squirt of fluid when we are bleeding-no air and lots of fluid.

I would like to install the booster as well but have not found the correct brackets that will bolt up to the firewall. I see where the plate that the master cylinder bolts to could come off leaving 4 holes that a booster would bolt to. But regardless,I can not get a good pedal with the manual setup.What am I missing here? Any suggestions as to how I might get a good pedal and also where I might get the brackets to be able to bolt up the universal booster? Or do I need to get a different booster and if so,where is the best place to buy one?

BTW,I have no leaks and the lines that were on the truck are in very good condition and everything unbolted with no problems. The truck is in very good shape. It has a 462 Lincoln engine with a C6 backing it up. I have been working on the dings and dents so I can paint it-not sure what color or colors yet. Thank you

Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
jxnslotcar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st,thank you in advance
Anyone got ANY ideas as to what may be wrong? I pump it up but it does not stay pumped up and yet I have no leaks that I can see.
Also,does anyone know where I might get the correct brackets so that I could bolt up my CPP universal 8in booster? I do not see any on CPP's site. If not,how about where I could get a reasonably priced booster that would bolt up? If not,maybe what stock power brake boosters that would fit? Yrs,model? thanks again Jim

Old 08-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds to me that you need to either adjust the lenght of your stock push rod or extend it by adding a piece of tubing to make it longer to push the fuild properly. If your stock push rod doesn't have a all-thread type adjustment; you'll more than likely have to figure out / measure the distance and add some extra lenght to the push rod.