"Grinding" noise from steering wheel-

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Normy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Grinding" noise from steering wheel-

'97 Ford Aerostar, 155k miles. Airbag model-

The problem: When I turn the wheel, there is some grabbing and tightness, and a strange grinding noise from the top of the steering column, like, right under the steering wheel. What's more, the wheel will actually pivot up and down on the steering shaft. I have tried pulling on it, and it helps loosen the grabbing, but it won't pull off in my hands or anything....

Has anyone had this situation? I suspect a bearing in the upper steering column has failed or has come loose. I guess I need to pull the bag and look around-

1. Are there any tricks to pulling the airbag?

2. Has anyone had any problem like this, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanx in advance!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I had a problem like that on a much older car (1976 Granada). It was in fact the top bearing on the steering shaft that somehow came apart. I was in the parking lot of the Lincoln plant in Wixom at the time, but I had enough tools to repair it.

The bearing cage that held the ***** in place had disintegrated, allowing all the ***** to roll to the bottom, so the inner and outer races were free to move apart, then the ***** just fell out. They didn't fall far, so once I got all the other parts out of the way, I collected and cleaned them, and repacked them with some grease I happened to have. I threaded a piece of wire in between the ***** to keep them in place so they wouldn't all migrate to one spot again.

Sorry, I don't know how to disassemble a steering wheel with an air bag in it. Other owners who have done this before may be able to help there.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I pulled the air bag out of my 93 Taurus SHO,First take the neg cable off the battery and wait about 30mins to let computer discharge. there were 2 bolts under covers, one on each side of the steering wheel, the bag just lifted off and unplugged.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bertha66
I pulled the air bag out of my 93 Taurus SHO,First take the neg cable off the battery and wait about 30mins to let computer discharge. there were 2 bolts under covers, one on each side of the steering wheel, the bag just lifted off and unplugged.
that's all? I want to get rid of my airbag too but I don't want the thing to explode in my face while trying to remove it.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Normy
Freshman User
I'm worried about the bag only when I'm in front of it. I just want to make sure the system is dead before I pull the connections. If it pops while I'm working on the car, I'll just go and buy another one. What are they, $200? I suspect an Aerostar bag would be cheaper than that. Cheap insurance if it saves your life.

I'm sure the problem is a bad bearing at the top of the steering column. Anyone know if the bearings are available?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Normy
I'm worried about the bag only when I'm in front of it. I just want to make sure the system is dead before I pull the connections. If it pops while I'm working on the car, I'll just go and buy another one. What are they, $200? I suspect an Aerostar bag would be cheaper than that. Cheap insurance if it saves your life.

I'm sure the problem is a bad bearing at the top of the steering column. Anyone know if the bearings are available?
I wouldn't know but the Aerostar shares many parts with the Ford Ranger so there will be alternatives. Start by checking with Green Sales and go from there.

Green Sales Company - Obsolete Ford parts, Lincoln, Mercury parts Green Sales Company, supplier of obsolete Ford parts and Lincoln / Mercury parts. Our Ford parts inventory represents all Ford and Lincoln / Mercury products from 1950 to the present.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose A.
that's all? I want to get rid of my airbag too but I don't want the thing to explode in my face while trying to remove it.
That is all, just make sure the battery has been disconnected for about 30mins, just to make sure.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bertha66
That is all, just make sure the battery has been disconnected for about 30mins, just to make sure.
thank you, I will do that tomorrow. I really don't even know if there is an airbag behind the pad, I just purchased this van, but if there is, I want it out, don't trust it.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
This is a pretty good video for removing the steering wheel. Airbag connector is identified clearly.

Ford Aerostar Actuator Rod Repair - YouTube

Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jose A.
thank you, I will do that tomorrow. I really don't even know if there is an airbag behind the pad, I just purchased this van, but if there is, I want it out, don't trust it.
I had a bad ignition switch actuator rod and had to pull the wheel this summer. When I removed the airbag on my '95 it came off as one unit with the pad. I don't remember seeing anyway to separate the two. I have no idea what leaving the airbag connector unplugged would do other than flash a MIL.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
oh oh, I guess i'll find out, couldn't get to it today...