Sponsored by:

Got my MBRP installed today

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my MBRP installed today

Finally got my turbo back MBRP exhaust installed today. I got the system that uses the cat since I'm in CA. My installer cut off the extra pipe off of the cat and was going to weld 4 inch piping going into and out of the cat, but once he got a look inside the cat, he discovered that the insides of my cat was disintegrated and large chunks were falling out. He didn't have a replacement cat in stock so in went a custom cat delete pipe. I guess I'll have to worry about it once smog time comes.

I must say, the sound of the turbo is downright ridiculous!!!! The exhaust really woke up my truck and if my foot isn't in it, it's kind of like stock...with the exception of the turbo whistle.

Does anyone know if a plugged/disintegrated cat is something out of the norm on a diesel? I didn't really notice anything wrong with my truck before the exhaust install.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cats often get messed up and clogged up. Especially diesels with all the shoot.

I have the MBRP with cat and muffler delete and you are right, the turbo sounds crazy!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
I would knock the guts out of it and install it, problem solved. I could be wrong but I know plenty of people out there that have done that, and on a diesel it is not like it really does a whole lot. I was surprised that my 2000 calif emissions Excursion does not have a cat on it. I checked and yup it says no catalyst under the hood.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:59 AM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nsaan
I would knock the guts out of it and install it, problem solved. I could be wrong but I know plenty of people out there that have done that, and on a diesel it is not like it really does a whole lot. I was surprised that my 2000 calif emissions Excursion does not have a cat on it. I checked and yup it says no catalyst under the hood.
Is there an easy way to knock the guts out of it? My installer looked at me funny when I told him I was taking the cat with me. My plan was to knock the guts out, just not sure if there is some kind of method to the madness.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Crowbar. Just nock it out from one side. Its a bunch of honeycomb and will come out in chunks. Wear a mask and gloves to be safe.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
Is there an easy way to knock the guts out of it? My installer looked at me funny when I told him I was taking the cat with me. My plan was to knock the guts out, just not sure if there is some kind of method to the madness.
the one ( that I may or may not have seen done) was on a 6.0 diesel truck, on that one he cut the ends off close to the ends of the cat and set it on a trash barrel and used a air chisel and a foot long chisel in it, after hitting it in a few spots it pretty much fell out, you have to be careful to not hit the outside of the cat too many times or it will look like it was beat from the inside out... it took less then 2 minutes total. he then used the cat delete pipe section of the exhaust kit and welded it cleanly to the ends of the "cat" housing. (He was installing a 4" Diamond eye kit at the same time.)

Old 08-11-2012, 01:14 AM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
Cool, thanks for the tip guys. I'll give the crowbar a careful try and see how that goes.

Are they any adverse effects of not running a cat? Like will the PCM tweak out even though there aren't any O2 sensors, but the exhaust is wide open?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 AM
archtaan
Post Fiend
My 04 didn't bat an eye. No codes or anything.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM
LWW
Elder User
My California '04 6.0L PSD had no problems either. Although I flanged the cat and the cat delete pipe to make it easy to swap them out when I'm going "off-road" and swap it back on when I go back on public roads...

Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LWW
My California '04 6.0L PSD had no problems either. Although I flanged the cat and the cat delete pipe to make it easy to swap them out when I'm going "off-road" and swap it back on when I go back on public roads...
I think I might just do that once I get my cat gutted.