1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Are you finding another body/paint man? Or doing it yourself?
Well, it needs a bunch of TLC before going back to paint. TC was telling me that he knew some good shops if he couldn't work it in when it is finally, really ready. So I am going to try to do the most of it myself, and then let them finish it up, again. Painting it myself, I feel, would be a quick trip to disasterland.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Killgore
Sucks it was gone for 18 months. Hope you aren't out of too much cash
Fortunately, not to much. It could have been much worse. I lost a lot of time, and spent some money dragging it to Ricks, and then getting it taken over to Bay One. I didn't lose anything from Bay One, except some time, but I made a friend, so I don't regret it. Now, I have to finish my plan of attack, order parts, and start working on it again. And figure out where to store my 73 Mach 1 rustmobile.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My problem is that I don't know what is right and what isn't. My first guy put the new cab corners on and they looked ok to me. The new guy cut one off and redid it as it didn't pass muster. And, he spent a lot of time getting the shut lines on the doors right with the cab. It took a lot of tweaking to satisfy him. And, he redid the roof of the cab that the other guy had done. So, I'm not a good judge of "correctness" and would rather pay someone who is.

Besides, you've done major things to the truck given the engine and suspension. Like I've done on my engine and am doing on the trim. I just ordered NOS F150 and Ranger badges which cost $78. And I bought NOS wheel well trim for $200. And a NOS chrome grille for $125. And I'm working on NOS side trim, with 3 of the 8 pieces coming in at $145 w/o shipping, and shipping is going to be a killer given the lengths involved. So, by the time I get them and add the headlight doors and trim above and below the grille I'll have $1000 in the trim alone.

So, I really do want the body and paint work to be done well and I'm far enough in I'm not going to start cutting corners now. You?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
My problem is that I don't know what is right and what isn't. My first guy put the new cab corners on and they looked ok to me. The new guy cut one off and redid it as it didn't pass muster. And, he spent a lot of time getting the shut lines on the doors right with the cab. It took a lot of tweaking to satisfy him. And, he redid the roof of the cab that the other guy had done. So, I'm not a good judge of "correctness" and would rather pay someone who is.

Besides, you've done major things to the truck given the engine and suspension. Like I've done on my engine and am doing on the trim. I just ordered NOS F150 and Ranger badges which cost $78. And I bought NOS wheel well trim for $200. And a NOS chrome grille for $125. And I'm working on NOS side trim, with 3 of the 8 pieces coming in at $145 w/o shipping, and shipping is going to be a killer given the lengths involved. So, by the time I get them and add the headlight doors and trim above and below the grille I'll have $1000 in the trim alone.

So, I really do want the body and paint work to be done well and I'm far enough in I'm not going to start cutting corners now. You?
Exactly. After all the work I've put into this thing, and the money I've spent, I want it to be perfect. Eventually, it will be given to my son, so I want it to be something he'll be proud to drive and take to cruise-ins. TC (at Bay One Customs) has offered to let me bounce things off him, and didn't say "No" when I floated the idea of bringing it back to him to be painted once I have fixed all the problems that we found. If he can't, he said he can steer me to someone who can do a really good job for me. That will come after I get the fuel filler door hinge worked out, wiper motor hidden, inner fenders fabbed up, cold air intake fabbed up, and clean up the areas that have started to rust through the primer Rick shot. So I've got some stuff to keep me busy.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow just caught up to the end of this thread, sure is one hell of a journey ya been through here, glad to see the progress that was made

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85F350IDI
Wow just caught up to the end of this thread, sure is one hell of a journey ya been through here, glad to see the progress that was made
Thanks. Getting back to work on it now. Trying to get all the parts organized, and I've got some more parts on order. Just got some plastic sheet to modify the taillights so I can fit flat LED's in place of the incandescant bulbs. that will give me more room for my hinge mechanism and fuel cap. Don't worry, I'll take pictures and post them up on my progress.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Hey if your son NEEDS it painted, I'll take it unpainted jk. It would be nice to pass something down like that.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
I checked with him, and he is fine any way I get it to him.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Oh well. I had to try.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Well, it's been a while, but I am finally getting back to work on El Guapo. I decided to start with the tail light hinge to conceal the fuel filler. My wife gave me the idea to use a piano hinge and that got me thinking. I found a 3' section of piano hinge at Lowe's that was nickel-plated steel and had 1/8" diameter barrels. Welding them together flat to flat and alternating up and down orientaiton would allow them to fold into a zig-zag that will allow extension of the taillight and it's moving out of the way of the fuel filler.

Mocked up with cardboard.

A different view of the cardboard mockup.

The piano hinges taped together and mocked up.

A different view of the taillight hinge.

And a partially closed view of the taillight hinge.

After butting the hinges together, I used scotch tape to hold them together. Everthing seems to fit so now I can weld the hinges together, but my welding table is still in storage. I'm hoping to get it home today. Then I can get my welder set up and tack the hinges together and make it permanent.

I'm going to spot weld it to the truck and epoxy it to the taillight. I think I should make one pin removable so that the tail light is removable, but if someone has another idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

Anyway, that's what I've got going on right now.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
I noticed on the bedsides that there is a small ridge that I had not noticed before.

This truck had a bedliner in it for most of it's 28 years, and it covered that area. Are they supposed to be that way? The top of my '94 F150 bedsides is flat, without that "style line". I can't help but think it's normal since they are the same on both sides and very regular. If someone can take a look at your truck, I'd appreciate you letting me know if this is correct, or if somewhere along the way, the top of El Guapo's bedsides got messed up.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:08 AM
'86 F150
Senior User
Cool idea for the filler neck. The top of the box is correct.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, cool idea. But, could you use either a longer, full-length hinge or two pieces of hinge - one at the top and one at the bottom? That would give a lot more strength.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by '86 F150
Cool idea for the filler neck. The top of the box is correct.
Thanks 86 F150. That helps alot. As I continue to work on the fuel filler, I'll post up more pictures of that, too.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 86fordtruck
I noticed on the bedsides that there is a small ridge that I had not noticed before.

This truck had a bedliner in it for most of it's 28 years, and it covered that area. Are they supposed to be that way? The top of my '94 F150 bedsides is flat, without that "style line". I can't help but think it's normal since they are the same on both sides and very regular. If someone can take a look at your truck, I'd appreciate you letting me know if this is correct, or if somewhere along the way, the top of El Guapo's bedsides got messed up.
Yes that's original, my '83 has the same creases. I had an '88 a few years ago.....it had smooth top surfaces, so the change was somewhere in those years.

Quick Reply: '86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo