Betty turns oil burner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by co425
Thank you.

It just takes time, money and effort. Lots of it that is.
I saw this Dilbert strip the other day in the paper and I thought of you and your pickup.

(Not to say you are a one-upper, but you DID build your own vehicle and "it's nice".)

Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Incredible!

I feel like I have been on a journey going through this thread and enjoying the successes with you. Thanks for the well-documented thread and thanks for taking us all on this trip with you. Keep us all posted!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I was bragging on you and your hard work and attention to detail in another thread, really looking good.
Thanks, I must have missed that.

Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
I saw this Dilbert strip the other day in the paper and I thought of you and your pickup.

(Not to say you are a one-upper, but you DID build your own vehicle and "it's nice".)

That's funny! Just how I feel about guys who buy cherried out vehicles or show cars/trucks then act like it was their doing.

Originally Posted by Beedub109r
I feel like I have been on a journey going through this thread and enjoying the successes with you. Thanks for the well-documented thread and thanks for taking us all on this trip with you. Keep us all posted!

No problem, I'm not done yet for sure. I'll definitely have some more updates in the near future. I hope to have the exhaust done, fuel sump in, the seats in and a few other small things buttoned up withing the next month or so.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks, I must have missed that.
**** man I talk about your clinical work on this truck all the time to my car buddies!

BTW, truck sounds mean as hell. It's got that sound you can only get out of a cummins

-Jameson

Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jgavac
**** man I talk about your clinical work on this truck all the time to my car buddies!

BTW, truck sounds mean as hell. It's got that sound you can only get out of a cummins

-Jameson

Thanks, seems my thread has turned into somewhat of an animal.

Sounds mean for sure. I'm going to tone her down a bit here soon. I have an aero turbine 4040xl sitting on the work bench ready to rock as soon as I get my tubing. Should sound good but be mellow on the low end.

Should sound close to this guys truck, with more turbo sound and a slightly different idle due to my cam.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are awesome! haha. Exactly what I had in mind. Now I cannot wait until it's your beauty.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 PM
co425
Cargo Master
A little update today.

Had a small snafu the other day. I was re routing my boost line and bumped my fan. When I did that I noticed the fan pulley moved as well. Upon further investigation my dampner moved as well. So that was my what the hell moment. I crawled under my truck and found all four balancer bolts out around a half inch and a the edge of my belt shredded a bit. I am unsure if I forgot to torque those bolts or what. I know I did not loctite them. Fortunately all it really hurt was the belt. I decided as usual to go above and beyond for my piece of mind fixing the issue. I didn't take any pictures of this but I made a small jig to hold the bolts and drilled the heads for safety wire. I put them back in with red loctite, torqued them down and safety wired them.

At least now if the bolts do loosen they won't rotate out enough to come out and lose the balancer.

Next up I finally tackled the puke tank. I was tired of looking at my converted bicycle bottle.

I took my passenger radiator mount and added a bracket.

Painted her up, and installed.

I'm glad nothing else needs to go under the hood. Not a whole lot of room under there now.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...that was my what the hell moment...

Growing pains.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
You still have extra room Nice catch and fix on the harmonic balancer
The radiator overflow tank another work of art

Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Robertcoupe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad nothing else needs to go under the hood. Not a whole lot of room under there now.
Don't forget about that train horn...

Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
I love Loctite , but you're going to hate it if you ever need to remove the harmonic balancer.
Nice job on the safety wire.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Because Overkill is inadequate!

Dare I spy a Bungie Cord as a battery hold down, this will require another masterfully fabricated piece of artwork to correct.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by redroad
You still have extra room Nice catch and fix on the harmonic balancer
The radiator overflow tank another work of art
Thank you, sir.

Originally Posted by Robertcoupe
Don't forget about that train horn...

No, I have'nt forgotten about my fire truck horn. I may start on that next week. I need hose, fitings, and a solinoid.

Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
I love Loctite , but you're going to hate it if you ever need to remove the harmonic balancer.
Nice job on the safety wire.
Yes, me too. That's what the big *** breaker bar and some heat is for. And thanks, I like safety wire too. Something to be said for a nice safety wire job.

Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Because Overkill is inadequate!

Dare I spy a Bungie Cord as a battery hold down, this will require another masterfully fabricated piece of artwork to correct.

Yep, you're correct. I'm still on the fence whether I want to make some or use two factory hold downs.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:21 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Factory battery hold downs aren't that great, usually in order to get the side bars that have minimum capture to not pop out you have to over tighten them to the point the top bar bends.

Wouldn't be a problem if batteries were actually the same size that they were when these trucks were new but most batteries have gotten smaller.

That and being the selfish guy I am, I want to see what you'll come up with. haha

Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Factory battery hold downs aren't that great, usually in order to get the side bars that have minimum capture to not pop out you have to over tighten them to the point the top bar bends.

Wouldn't be a problem if batteries were actually the same size that they were when these trucks were new but most batteries have gotten smaller.

That and being the selfish guy I am, I want to see what you'll come up with. haha
Fortunately the width seems to fit fine in the clamps. There is a lot of front to rear play in the tray though. The only thing I prefer is the factory clamp is plastic. One less thing to ground out on accidentally. I need to make an insert for the bottom of the tray so the batteries don't shift around. I will make that out of MDF or plastic. I shouldn't have to worry about leakage since the batteries are AGM and have no vent.

Quick Reply: Betty turns oil burner