Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAK Flip HD - paint flaking off

Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAK Flip HD - paint flaking off

I have a BAK Flip HD on my 2011 F250 and the paint is starting to flake off in a small section. It is about 9" long and 3/4" wide with the edges lifted up so it is going to continue to grow...

The bed cover was bought in the fall of 2010 so it is not that old.

I sent BAK industries an email last night and have not heard back from them yet as to if this is normal or if it is covered under a warranty.

Anyone else have any issues with the paint flaking off ??

_

Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you post pics?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy
Can you post pics?

yes sir.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
First time I've seen this on a Bakflip, thanks for posting.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
still nothing from BAK.
I guess I will forward my email to the other areas in case they are not checking the "warranty" emails....

_

*** update ***
forwarded my email to a few others at BAK and got a response back.
The one person I need to talk to regarding warrant is out for the week to a trade show.
I went ahead and sent off pics of the paint flaking off and a copy of my proof of purchase/invoice as they requested.
I will post an update with what the out come is next week after the trade show.

_

Last edited by my996duc1; 08-09-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: updated
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Subscribing.

Stewart

Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Update..... recieved the third email stating I needed to send in pictures and proof of purchase. So I sent them all again.

This one also stated they need to be able to find where I registered my warranty as well.

Sounds like they are trying to do everything but address this issue.
Lucky for me I registered my warranty and have already had warranty work done on it in January 2011. I saved me emails from Julian when I had some warranty work done once before.

Hopefully they can get this figured out as we are now going on a week with the only thing having been done is the repeated request of the same info by a bunch of different people. Not happy or impressed yet.... hopefully that will change soon as the first warranty work was done smooth and problem free.

-

Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thanks for the update. I was thinking about dropping some coin on one of these covers for my F250, but will wait to see what your outcome is before I decide which cover to buy.

Stewart

Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Nothing yet.... only thing I have heard from BAK was an email requesting the info I had already sent....

Maybe next week I will hear something.

_

Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Hopefully when the person who takes care of warrantee issues gets back from the trade show your issue will be addressed and resolved.

Stewart

Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
UPDATE -

got an email back from BAK today. Stating that since it is now just days past my warranty expiring I could send it in to them for repair outside the warranty. They were quick to point out the warranty was expired by just days now.

I responded and pointed out I had submitted the warranty request weeks ago. This was well withing the warranty time period.

They reconsidered and have now stated I need to box it up so it can be sent back to the factory. Now to find a box as I just happened to have thrown away the one it came in......

Not sure if it is standard practice to first deny the warranty claim to see what a person will say or what..... I am less than impressed with them on this issue.

_

Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by my996duc1
I am less than impressed with them on this issue.
_
As am I.

Peragon, the forum sponsor, seems to have exemplary customer service, from the different stuff I've read online. It would be a no-brainer for me to go with them, but I'm just not sure the Peragon cover will fit what I want exactly.

I was leaning towards getting the BAK because of the way their cover works and I like that built-in carrier under the last cover, but now I'm gonna have to think about this for a bit.

Peragon is looking like a better choice now.

Stewart

Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Any update?

Stewart

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
Okay.... I thought they were just treating me like ****. Guess it is the company ethos. I too was ignored via e-mails, phone calls, and PMs (finally a third party talked to and started up with the where did you buy it, where did you register the warranty bull****.... so they teach their re-sellers this BS as well).

BakFlip has to have the absolute worst CS alive. The attempted denial of warranty should be enough to sway anyone else from dealing with these guys. Sad, sad!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Yamaha0219
Junior User
I had some issues with what seemed like glue running from the outer rails - it was small, maybe only 3" x 3/4" but I figured since I paid so much for the cover I'd make use of the warranty. After some pics and a phone call with Bak Factory Outlet (where i bought mine) they approved a replacement cover and said I would be contacted with shipping info from Bak - never heard anything. Fast forward a few months, warranty about to expire, I figured I would bring it up again - so I did and I got a replacement cover shipped to me and I used that box to send back the old one (all on their dime).

Install the new cover and see some scratches (on that same piece where you lost paint) - it was from metal burs left floating around the cover during shipping. Tried to get a replacement again, they basically said get lost and started with the ignoring emails and whatnot.

I like the cover, but I'm still having some issues getting it 100% water tight - are any of you guys having that issue? I have some thoughts on improving some things, just havent found the time to mess around with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAK Flip HD - paint flaking off