5.0 EFI swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 PM
dotcentral
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not modified anything, yet. I am using Lokar #1807

Lokar ACA-1807 Column Shift Linkage for Ford AOD : Amazon.com : Automotive Lokar ACA-1807 Column Shift Linkage for Ford AOD : Amazon.com : Automotive

I am currently using just the shift rod and the mounting hardware - not using the "clockable" selector shaft, as I will need to drop the pan for that. I can shift both up & down through the shifter quadrant, except for Low 1.

I didn't think this shifter arm would work, but suprisingly it does except for 1st gear/ Low 1. I think the selector shaft/ gear thing would allow me to shift into low. I am going to drive it a bit first before dropping the pan for that.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM
KILLemALL
New User
I was looking at the ididit kit and the piece that bolts to the column looks like a connecting rod.The column is 2 1/4,the same as a Pontiac rod journal and I have around 50 of those in the garage.The "half moon"piece shouldn't be too hard to make,then all I would need is the morse cable and weld a tab on the connecting rod.I'll test fit one the rods and see if it interferes with anything.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM
dotcentral
Senior User
Well overdue for an update, so here it goes.

Truck has been on the road since July. Got 2.5" duals with H-pipe exiting in front of the rear tires. Oil leak around the distributor, brand new NAPA unit w/ new O-ring, not sure why that is happening. trans leak at the bellhousing. Both are minor leaks but annoying. Been driving about 30-40 miles a week on it, debugging and slowly working out small issues when time and funds allow. No gauges other than gas and electrical. Need to get my F500/600 installed and wired in. Not sure if the speedo is a direct plug in or if I need one of those electronic sensors to make that work. Need to redo the wiper arm gaskets, plug a few firewall holes, insulate, etc. Maybe then get the interior re-installed.

Bronco II gas tank hangs a bit low, but stock suspension means no worrying about dragging. BII tank is mounted where the spare tire used to sit, behind the rear axle. I will need to move the fuel filler up a bit higher and mod the fuel filler line. Most gas station pumps kick off about every three seconds, making for long fill times. Did find one station where I can get up to the 20 gallon mark on my 23 gallon tank before it kicks off. Truck rides so much nicer with 15-20 gallons in it.

Just installed my second power steering pump today. T-Bird donor had a cracked reservoir tank, so went the autozone route. That one screeched like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Finally got a NAPA lifetime unit. Not totally quiet but a big improvement in noise. A bit of lower pitch humming I can live with. I'll try some of that friction modifier additive and see if it quiets it down a bit more.

Steering is touchy at higher speeds. I have had it aligned, which helped some, but need to find an alignment place used to working on older vehicles, go to manual steering, or bite the bullet and do a crown vic swap. Wishful thinking on that last one.