1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Making 1 truck out of 2!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
I know you are relatively new here, and maybe only read the posts that interest you, but "that rule" has been discussed many times and is spelled out in the FTE charter. To quote a moderator in another post: "Please check out the FTE charter link and look under the heading "Models covered": Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ford Trucks, Ford F150, Ford F250, F100, Ford Ranger, Ford Bronco, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Ford Aerostar and Ford Econoline Coverage from the Internet's Largest Ford Truck Site.
This is a pure Ford site, so talk of installing other brand engines is really frowned upon here. Thanks for your future cooperation."

Perhaps you also haven't read many of my 10K+ posts here, or you would know I am a long ways from being a "stick in the mud". I don't have anything against anyone building whatever you want with whatever parts you want to use. The fact is if you actually knew this "stick" you would know my truck is powered by one of those "other engines", I race a Solstice, and tow it with a Sierra!
I never said the OP was not welcome here, they are quite welcome as far as I'm concerned, just that they are not very likely to get much help with building a rat rod, since that is NOT what this site is about. Plus their attitude of "we want our questions answered, but only if the answers agree with what we have already decided to do." They are much more likely to get the answers they want and audience for a rat rod build in other forums like the HAMB.

As for seeing more Chevys here, reread my first comment...

What the hell?... I thought we banned JULIE already??..

Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
P.S. Regarding your 10k posts....just because you posted that many times, doesnt mean it was worth saying... Just sayin'....

Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had to point something out.... trying to lighten the mood around here. I went and checked out the FTE Charter as referenced by AX (because heck I didn't even know about it and wanted to educate myself) and I had to laugh my *** off when I saw the page.... RIGHT NEXT TO THE CHARTER was an ad for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram AND FIAT! MY GOD, MY EYES!!!!!

We can't talk about non-Ford products here on the forum but the Forum can get rich off of advertising non-Ford products. I love the contradictions in life. Anywho, let's all get along and get back to working on the trucks. K?

P.S. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OK , why do we have our panties in a wad, its a Ford on a Ford with a clip prodject from what ive read, someone asked to see the Ch... pics So why all the tension I dont understand. This a Ford site yes, but clips and motors have always tolerated as long as they go on a Ford. And Ive always herd, its your truck build it your way. Opinions great, attitudes not so much.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to get in the middle, but my two cents:

I always thought this section of the forums was a little different because we have to do things a little different. Most of us are making do with what we have, it's about the build not a brand. I never felt out of line talking about using a Cummins engine in my truck, swapping out a chassis didn't seem like a big deal on here either, maybe on the HAMB, but not here. Most of us don't have fifty grand to put into one of these trucks, we just want to see it back on the road.

LastChanceGarage, it seems you know full well of what you're capable of building and judging by your past projects I'd say you'd have no trouble using the earlier chassis. All the issues with doing so have been stated and if none of them seem too difficult then by all means we'd love to see it built. Even if you had access to an original '56 frame, it's your truck, build it how you want. I've always felt these trucks should be built like you're the last person on earth and you're making it how you want. Function over brand names and "right" pieces in my book.

You know the difficulties involved with doing it that way, but that doesn't mean there is an easier way for you and this build. Looking forward to seeing another '56 back on the road! Be sure to post lots of pictures, we love the pictures!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Teardroppy,
I can't really speak for management, but from what I understand some of that advertising is inserted by and paid to Internet Brands, the parent company, and is not controlled by FTE.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
Teardroppy,
I can't really speak for management, but from what I understand some of that advertising is inserted by and paid to Internet Brands, the parent company, and is not controlled by FTE.
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to show some irony. My business website USE to participate in Google Adwords program. We build custom specialty trailers and I got so tired of seeing ads "pop-up" trying to sell Carry-on trailers. I still think FTE is the greatest place for our trucks and our passion. Let's all smile and hoist a cold one.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
Originally Posted by teardropty
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to show some irony. My business website USE to participate in Google Adwords program. We build custom specialty trailers and I got so tired of seeing ads "pop-up" trying to sell Carry-on trailers. I still think FTE is the greatest place for our trucks and our passion. Let's all smile and hoist a cold one.
I think I was more astounded when the ads were in Spanish! Aye carumba!!

Guess that's what I get for being a cheap basterd and not paying the membership fees.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
I will agree on the wiring harness though. Taking old wiring from another car to cut/splice/transplant seems like wasted effort.
There are companies that sell modernized, LABELED custom wiring kits for around $150. That's cheap insurance, and a time saver to me. Just my opinion.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by POS-F500
I think I was more astounded when the ads were in Spanish! Aye carumba!!

Guess that's what I get for being a cheap basterd and not paying the membership fees.
Use FireFox with the Adblock+ add-on and you won't see any ads, Spanish or otherwise... I don't!!!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will agree on the wiring harness though. Taking old wiring from another car to cut/splice/transplant seems like wasted effort.
There are companies that sell modernized, LABELED custom wiring kits for around $150. That's cheap insurance, and a time saver to me. Just my opinion.

Hello, and another welcome from California.

Keep up posted with pics along the way on your project....

On the wiring, I just put in a painless harness. It was $200 after the $100 rebate which showed up right away. I'm not sure if they're going to have that promotion anytime soon, but it was worth it. I know from experience that I couldnt have bought that much wire for $200. With the new fuse block, and individual wire labels that part of my project was a winner.

And by the way...Ax does come with some credentials, and has been offering good advice here for some time. It seems that you got off on the wrong foot.

Dan

Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Not to get in the middle, but my two cents:

I always thought this section of the forums was a little different because we have to do things a little different. Most of us are making do with what we have, it's about the build not a brand. I never felt out of line talking about using a Cummins engine in my truck, swapping out a chassis didn't seem like a big deal on here either, maybe on the HAMB, but not here. Most of us don't have fifty grand to put into one of these trucks, we just want to see it back on the road.

LastChanceGarage, it seems you know full well of what you're capable of building and judging by your past projects I'd say you'd have no trouble using the earlier chassis. All the issues with doing so have been stated and if none of them seem too difficult then by all means we'd love to see it built. Even if you had access to an original '56 frame, it's your truck, build it how you want. I've always felt these trucks should be built like you're the last person on earth and you're making it how you want. Function over brand names and "right" pieces in my book.

You know the difficulties involved with doing it that way, but that doesn't mean there is an easier way for you and this build. Looking forward to seeing another '56 back on the road! Be sure to post lots of pictures, we love the pictures!
Very well said! LastChance I hope you'll keep posting (with lots of pics as mentioned above) and keep us up to date on your project and what's going on in that very interesting part of the world you live in.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
now THIS sounds good to me! I couldn't afford the painless harness, which is why we chose to go with a used one, but damp weather down here means loads of green wires to mend, and plenty of corrosion. POS-F500, where can I get one of these?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by LastChanceGarage
now THIS sounds good to me! I couldn't afford the painless harness, which is why we chose to go with a used one, but damp weather down here means loads of green wires to mend, and plenty of corrosion. POS-F500, where can I get one of these?
I bought mine from this outfit; try this link Home of EZ Wiring

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I bought mine from this outfit; try this link Home of EZ Wiring
Yup.... Thats where I got mine from. I got the Mini 20 harness. It's a 21 circuit (waaaay more than my truck will ever need) with mini fuses...which I figured might help in stashing it behind the dash.

Quick Reply: Making 1 truck out of 2!